Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#1241 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu May 09, 2024 9:05 pm

Looks like we’re done west of New Braunfels. Didn’t get a drop of rain but haven’t had power for 45 min now.

Happy to miss out on the hail though.
1 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1242 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu May 09, 2024 9:09 pm

0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1243 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu May 09, 2024 9:11 pm

0 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#1244 Postby txtwister78 » Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 pm

3 likes   

mmmmsnouts
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1245 Postby mmmmsnouts » Fri May 10, 2024 12:38 am

That seems like a bit of an optical illusion with the camera angle. Still a giant hailstone but I don’t think it’s 6+ inches.
0 likes   

cstrunk
Category 2
Category 2

#1246 Postby cstrunk » Fri May 10, 2024 7:46 am

For all of our pocketbook's sake, I hope the metro areas continue avoiding costly severe weather as much as possible... Texas could use a break from those kind of episodes...
1 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1247 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri May 10, 2024 9:27 am

mmmmsnouts wrote:That seems like a bit of an optical illusion with the camera angle. Still a giant hailstone but I don’t think it’s 6+ inches.

It's not quite on the end, and it's angled so we can't see the numbers on the right side. But, it's real close to 6 probably.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1248 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri May 10, 2024 11:13 am

So, this is a dumb question. I know nothing about space weather. With this severe storm, are our computers and hard drives safe? I think the issue is more electrical from what I can tell, but if I need to wrap my network server in metal or something, just in case....
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1249 Postby Ntxw » Fri May 10, 2024 11:55 am

rwfromkansas wrote:So, this is a dumb question. I know nothing about space weather. With this severe storm, are our computers and hard drives safe? I think the issue is more electrical from what I can tell, but if I need to wrap my network server in metal or something, just in case....

Potential is that anything that relies on satellite connection/services may be impacted, limited though more than likely. Personal electronics shouldn't be effected.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1250 Postby HockeyTx82 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:14 pm

Ntxw wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:So, this is a dumb question. I know nothing about space weather. With this severe storm, are our computers and hard drives safe? I think the issue is more electrical from what I can tell, but if I need to wrap my network server in metal or something, just in case....

Potential is that anything that relies on satellite connection/services may be impacted, limited though more than likely. Personal electronics shouldn't be effected.

Did I miss something? What are you guys talking about, specifically?
1 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1251 Postby Edwards Limestone » Fri May 10, 2024 1:01 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Did I miss something? What are you guys talking about, specifically?

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/rare-severe-solar-storm-northern-lights-alabama
0 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1252 Postby Edwards Limestone » Fri May 10, 2024 1:03 pm

0 likes   

WeatherNewbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1253 Postby WeatherNewbie » Fri May 10, 2024 1:49 pm

It will not damage anything like your personal devices. It is primarily a threat to satellites, and really severe ones can interrupt the power grid. As long as you have your devices plugged into surge protectors, you'll be fine.
3 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1254 Postby snownado » Fri May 10, 2024 2:45 pm

cstrunk wrote:For all of our pocketbook's sake, I hope the metro areas continue avoiding costly severe weather as much as possible... Texas could use a break from those kind of episodes...

From a weather weenie / tracking standpoint, it makes for a boring/tedious hobby (part of my reason for moving to DFW was thinking I wouldn't have to storm chase often to get my fix in).

But at the same time, I hear you. I don't necessarily wish costly lost/destruction on people and their property either.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1255 Postby bubba hotep » Fri May 10, 2024 7:15 pm

Happy Hour GFS keeps it going for Texas

1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1256 Postby Anti-freeze » Fri May 10, 2024 9:52 pm

Huh, I thought all we could expect in north Texas was to settle for a northern light breeze, but looks like they've upgraded it to a G5y2k-19 solarcane:

Space Weather Message Code: ALTK09
Serial Number: 7
Issue Time: 2024 May 11 0246 UTC

ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 9o
Threshold Reached: 2024 May 11 0240 UTC
Synoptic Period: 0000-0300 UTC

Active Warning: Yes
NOAA Scale: G5 - Extreme

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 40 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems may occur; some power grid systems may experience component failures or protective device trips resulting in blackouts or disruption of service. Pipeline currents can reach hundreds of amps.
Spacecraft - Systems may experience anomalies to include: extensive surface charging, unexpected orientation and attitude changes, uplink/downlink errors, and satellite orbit degradation.
Navigation - Satellite navigation (GPS) may be degraded or unavailable for days.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation may be impossible in many areas for one to two days.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as Florida to southern Texas and southern California.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/alerts-watches-and-warnings

Remember, don't look directly at it without Borealis glasses....
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1257 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat May 11, 2024 3:01 pm

Unfortunately it looks like the same areas that have seen too much rain the past few weeks have the best chance of seeing more heavy totals over the next week. Meanwhile south TX will probably continue to miss out, where it's really needed. Quite the frustrating pattern lately. So close but so far from finally ending the drought.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1258 Postby Cpv17 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:09 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Unfortunately it looks like the same areas that have seen too much rain the past few weeks have the best chance of seeing more heavy totals over the next week. Meanwhile south TX will probably continue to miss out, where it's really needed. Quite the frustrating pattern lately. So close but so far from finally ending the drought.

It’s all north of I-10. I’ve only had about a half inch of rain in the past 4 weeks. I think those of us south of 10 are gonna have to wait till the tropics heat up.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1259 Postby bubba hotep » Sat May 11, 2024 3:43 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Unfortunately it looks like the same areas that have seen too much rain the past few weeks have the best chance of seeing more heavy totals over the next week. Meanwhile south TX will probably continue to miss out, where it's really needed. Quite the frustrating pattern lately. So close but so far from finally ending the drought.

0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1260 Postby gpsnowman » Sun May 12, 2024 11:00 am

Radar looking good. Not much rain here yet but the thunder is loud this morning.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”