Gravity Waves - Atmospheric Phenomena

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

Gravity Waves - Atmospheric Phenomena

#1 Postby Stormsfury » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:16 am

Got a hold of forecast discussion from Mount Holly, NJ about an appearance of gravity waves appearing on Dover, DE radar earlier this morning. (DOX is currently not available)

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION(UPDATED)
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
632 AM EST FRI FEB 7 2003

BEST VERT MOTION AND MID LVL SUPPORT...WAA AT 80H SUPPORTING HEAVY SNOW IN BANDS W-E N OF DEVELOPING STORM. STRONG 250MB 140+ JET RACING INTO REGION WITH UPPER LVL CLD ENHANCEMENT MOVING E AND OFF CLST AT
1230Z. INTERESTING TO NOTE GRVTY WAVES SHOWING UP ON DOX RADAR VELOCITY. SNOWFALL AMNTS ARE HIGHEST IN CAROLINE CO MD 7.5-8.0 INCHES. FORECAST WAS UPDATED FOR SUSSEX CO DE WHERE EXTENDED PRD OF -ZR OCCURRING. OTHERWISE...FCST IS OK FOR NOW.

This is a great read and links to explanations of these such phenomena.

http://www.stormsfury1.com/Weather/GravityWave.html
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#2 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:11 pm

Love them gravity waves. You never hear of em too often...and also rarely see imagry on them too.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Stormsfury » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:15 pm

Ain't that the truth ... the only one I know of it at the Storm Prediction Center in Norman ... let me find that link right quick...

BTW, glad to see your back from the hospital.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/coolimg/gwavecb.htm
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#4 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:19 pm

Yep...thats the one I always saw...the one off the TX coast! Great to be back man! So glad nothing was up...can never tell with a head and the heart going haywire...I'll definitely not hesitate for ER next time...even if it is a murmur..lol
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”