SPC likely to add two categories to convective outlooks

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

SPC likely to add two categories to convective outlooks

#1 Postby RL3AO » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 am

General storms/see text splitting into "General Thunderstorms" and "Marginal risk" and the slight category will be split into slight and enhanced. Moderate and high risk stay the same.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... s-in-2014/

I don't mind it. One of the issues I've had is the word "slight". Us weather geeks know that slight risk days can be pretty bad, but its been a worry that the public hears the word slight and thinks a slight (eg small risk or worse small/weak storms).
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm with you re: slight risk. It needs to be reworded so people don't confuse it as a minimal risk. Then again, I don't think the public generally grasps what a convective outlook relays. They see they're under a 10% tornado region and think 'ahh, so like a 10% chance of rain; nothing to worry about.' Enhanced risk sounds like it should go after Moderate risk. Glad they're getting rid of see text.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”