Texas Summer - 2013

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Texas Summer - 2013

#1 Postby wxman57 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:57 am

It's way too early to talk about next winter. Now that we're done with any significant cold fronts, it's time for summer to make its appearance. 90s start in earnest across Texas this weekend. Overall, I'm not expecting anything like 2011 this summer. Probably something closer to normal temperature-wise, and only a little below normal precipitation-wise.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer - 2013

#2 Postby Portastorm » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 am

Finally, you have your own thread! :D

I hope your forecast verifies. I'll take a more typical Texas summer as coimpared to the last few.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#3 Postby somethingfunny » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 am

I need to install a script that automatically posts "It's too hot today" every day from now until October.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Tireman4 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:01 pm

somethingfunny wrote:I need to install a script that automatically posts "It's too hot today" every day from now until October.

Amen. Amen....Sigh...
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:47 am

Time to move the posting over to this thread! Meteorological summer is here, yuck! Most analogs and trends so far this spring suggest summer will be milder than the past two (no repeat of 2011 likely) as we are not coming out of La Ninas. Greenery is prevalent in the east and central parts of the state which is better for keeping heat ridges at bay. The Arctic region has been cold and sea ice melt thus far has been slow leading me to believe there will be more intrusions of "less hot" air over NA this year.

The MJO this spring has spent a lot of time in phases 1,2,3, and 4. These are stormy quadrants for NA during the summer time as it enhances not only lower pressures but perhaps tropical moisture coming up from South America as well through monsoons.

In all I'm thinking an average (maybe slightly below to continue the trend in the east) summer for most of us, more heat in the panhandle and west Texas coolest in northeast Texas. The Texas coast needs a good tropical storm this summer especially near Corpus.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am

I hope for a wet and cooler summer like in 2007. :grrr: 8-)
0 likes   

horselattitudesfarm
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby horselattitudesfarm » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Amazing how the rain stops as soon as it hits Collin County (where I live) Look at that hole in Northeast Texas! 'The shield is operational captain!
Image[/URL]

Again, the Red River is that magical Demarc line where the weather changes. There was a reason the Comanche Indians considered the land north of the Red River prime Buffalo hunting grounds.
Last edited by horselattitudesfarm on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

horselattitudesfarm
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby horselattitudesfarm » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Is it going to be another humdrum summer talking about endless capping inversions, wimpy dying tropical storms (Don?) and endless drought hoping an El Nino is going to save the day? Not to mention Northwest-Flow events that always die out before getting to North Texas. :( (I can talk about 2 of those the last 2 mornings if you want). Lets hope not! At least there's not any heat to talk about yet. :P By the way, we just entered Stage 3 Drought Designation here in the North Texas Municpal Water District. Yippeee! Yeaaa! :jump: Oklahoma: Flooding, Texas: Blowing away, uh, unless you're San Antonio
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Latest guidance shows frontal passage (rare in the summer) the next several days. Effects are better to the north and less south with 60s returning for lows, may be close to record territory for some this time of year. Not sold on much rain with the front, more scattered or isolated in nature maybe quarter to half inch. After that the Euro has been showing a heat wave enduring in the southern Rockies and Desert SW, this is where the core of the heat will be and Texas is on the eastern periphery. Suspect mid to upper 90s for many sometime next week before some kind of back-door cool front will effect us again. This is longer range though so nothing set in stone.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:I hope for a wet and cooler summer like in 2007. :grrr: 8-)

I hope so too! That was the best summer ever!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 pm

The complex of storms out west sure looks good. Short guidance has a mesoscale feature coming from them and rolling through north Texas in the morning. If this is true, I'd love to wake up to some thunder and rain in the morning! Along and north of I-20 to the Red River likely will see the most precip from it.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#12 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:55 am

Lots of thunder and lightning here right now, woke me up! The rain has been on and off with it, absolutely love it.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#13 Postby Portastorm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:18 am

Ntxw wrote:Lots of thunder and lightning here right now, woke me up! The rain has been on and off with it, absolutely love it.

So you enjoyed that MCS, eh? It looked impressive on radar. A thick, solid line of red! Those same storms created quite a ruckus in Lubbock from what I understand. A lot of high winds (80-90 mph) and some street flooding.

Here's to more mesoscale convective systems for all parts of Texas!
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

horselattitudesfarm
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#14 Postby horselattitudesfarm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

Ntxw wrote:Lots of thunder and lightning here right now, woke me up! The rain has been on and off with it, absolutely love it.

Yea, lots of carrying-on with weak lightning and distant thunder at my house also. Kept waiting for the rain for almost 2 hours and then, finally, we got a little downpour for about 15 minutes or so. Looks like we got about .2 inches according to our gauge. I kept waiting for that big juicy rain-band behind that initial roll-cloud and gust-front that normally comes with well-organized convection....., but it never really happened. Normally at night you see the lightning-filled rain-band as that lighter area behind the initial dark roll-cloud with a well-developed thunderstorm. The storms last night at my house seemed weak and disorganized for a long time, but finally got their act together and formed one tight red band on the radar over southern Collin county that raced over my area. Anyway, I'm happy for anything we can get right now, especially since it looks like we'll be cooking under the ridge for a while. Looks like summer is on its way.
Last edited by horselattitudesfarm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

horselattitudesfarm
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby horselattitudesfarm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:27 am

Cool pic from the NWS:

Image[/URL]

We're in the sort-of inactive area north of Plano. That coincides with what I described in the previous post as most of the action went around us to the north and south and picked up again east of us.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Your Future

#16 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 am

This is in your future Texas:

I want that badly.
0 likes   

horselattitudesfarm
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Your Future

#17 Postby horselattitudesfarm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am

Cyclenall wrote:This is in your future Texas:

I want that badly.

Please! Please! Come and take it!! Oh, and by the way, that little island of 70's there in the middle of Colorado....thats where we will be staying the month of July :lol: :D
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 am

It will not stay for long...( I am so hoping) and Cyclenall, you can SOO have those 100's
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#19 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Portastorm wrote:

So you enjoyed that MCS, eh? It looked impressive on radar. A thick, solid line of red! Those same storms created quite a ruckus in Lubbock from what I understand. A lot of high winds (80-90 mph) and some street flooding.

Here's to more mesoscale convective systems for all parts of Texas!

I did Porta and amen to the last sentence! Still quite nice here in mid 70s and light drizzle. Took advantage and went jogging, I will take any of these days in summer.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#20 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Another pleasant, warm day in Texas. Looks like an early summer "heatwave" appears more likely next week with first 100s for many. Enjoy the next 24 hours under dry/warm air before the furnace begins its usual ignition.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”