Get Ready

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

Get Ready

#1 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:59 pm

HARD FREEZE WARNING TONIGHT UNTIL 6:00AM EST
Urgent - Weather Message National Weather Service Melbourne FL 207 PM EST Thu Jan 23 2003

...Arctic Air Mass Approaching East Central Florida With Record Cold Expected...

.An Arctic Cold Front Will Dive South Through The Florida Peninsula Today. The Chill Will Already Be Felt During The Daytime Today As Windy Conditions Develop And Falling Temperatures Occur Behind The Front. A More Significant Freeze Than Has Occurred For Some Time Is Expected Overnight Into Friday Morning.

2200- Coastal Volusia-Inland Volusia-Northern Brevard-Northern Lake-Orange- Osceola-Seminole-Southern Lake- Including The Cities Of...Clermont...Daytona Beach...Deland... Kissimmee...St. Cloud...Leesburg...Orlando...Sanford...Titusville

...Hard Freeze Warning And Wind Chill Advisory Tonight...

High Temperatures Today Will Occur By Mid Morning...Then Temperatures Will Fall During The Afternoon. Gusty Northwest Winds Of 20 To 25 Mph Will Make It Feel Even Colder.

Temperatures Will Steadily Fall Through The 30s By Early This Evening. Temperatures Will Stay Below Freezing For Several Hours And A Hard Freeze Is Forecast Overnight. Low Temperatures By Friday Morning Are Expected To Be In The Lower 20s Across Areas North And West Of Metro Orlando...And The Mid 20s Are Expected To Reach South And East Of The I 4 Corridor And Toward Kissimmee And Titusville.

In Addition...Northwest Winds Of Around 15 To 20 Mph In The Evening And 10 To 15 Mph After Midnight Will Produce Dangerous Wind Chills. The Apparent Temperature Or Wind Chill Will Make It Feel More Like Its In The Single Digits Over The Far North And Teens Over The Remainder Of The Area.

Now Is The Time To Take Precautionary Measures Against The Cold. House And Apartment Fires Pose The Greatest Threat To Life During Cold Outbreaks In Florida. Make Sure Your Furnace...Fireplace Or Space Heater Is Working And Is Properly Ventilated. This Cold Weather Event Will Threaten Outdoor Pets And Plants...Including Potentially Damaging Citrus In Areas Where Temperatures Fall Below 28 Degrees For Several Hours. Temperatures Will Be Cold Enough That Precautionary Measures Will Be Needed To Prevent Freezing And Bursting Of Water Pipes...Through Dripping Faucets And Wrapping Exposed Pipes In Thermal Wrapping Material.

Bundle Yourself And Children Up In Several Layers Of Clothing Before Heading Outdoors...And Keep Listening To The Latest Information From The National Weather Service.
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Amanzi » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:25 pm

Oh boy.... I have a bet with my husband that I am going to go outside and make snow bubbles, (thanks to weatherwatch for the tip :wink: ) he told me no way will i go out, but looking at that message from NWS I think I may just come down with a cold or something quick...(Sheesh, guess I'll have to admit to defeat)
0 likes   

Weatherwatch
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby Weatherwatch » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:44 pm

You can do it Amanzi! Weather doesn't make you sick...germs do and there are probably lots more germs in your house than you will encounter out in this cold. Now frostbite...that's another thing! LOL

I've been out today spraying water on a little tree, making me an icle tree. It's looking good. I quit spraying the water on because I was afraid I'd break the limbs on my little tree. I tried doing the bubbles but the wind is blowing too hard now. They kept popping a soon as they got loose. I'll try again tonight by the porch light. I can see better then anyway. Maybe the wind will be died down some too. :D
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:58 pm

alright fill me in on the snow bubbles????????????
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Weatherwatch post of yesterday

#5 Postby BreinLa » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:10 pm

Chad Weatherwatch posted this yesterday about the bubbles, we are gonna try it later tonight

"Take bubble stuff and blow bubbles and look for the snowflakes inside the bubbles. This is super cool and kids love it. This is another one that you have to be where you can see through the bubbles. I do it outside my door so that I can see by the porch light. There will actually be a little snow flurry inside the bubble. Bundle up good and have loads of outdoor fun. I love the cold and find reasons to go out at night."
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby chadtm80 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:16 pm

So all i do is go outside after its dropped below freezing and blow bubbles? and i will see snow flakes in them?? k what other kewl stuff do you have for this Florida boy????????????
0 likes   

Super Cell
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby Super Cell » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:32 pm

Snowing here at my house......well the mist is falling and you can see tiny snow flakes..yes another ice tree tonight.....i hate to see my water bill....
0 likes   

wrkh99

#8 Postby wrkh99 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:41 pm

Sounds like you are having way to much fun in south miss :)
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Amanzi » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:02 pm

Lol...weatherwatch..I was going to tell my hubby I was getting sick so I could loose the bet with a bit of grace! And your right..definantly more germs in the house than out.. :roll: (hate housework!) Am waiting patiently for the temp to drop to 32 so I can try the bubbles, I have a great porch light so I should get some visuals..it is currently 36 with windchill 25! So am awaiting patiently!
0 likes   

Weatherwatch
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby Weatherwatch » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:54 pm

Super Cell wrote:Snowing here at my house......well the mist is falling and you can see tiny snow flakes..yes another ice tree tonight.....i hate to see my water bill....

The same here. Lots of teeny tiny snowflakes wisping around when the wind whips the mist around. My ice tree is looking great. I had turned the water off for a while this afternoon and the hose froze. So like any "normal" winter weather person would do...I brought the water hose in the house and thawed it out...good grief I've lost my mind! LOL

I haven't had any luck with the bubbles tonight. The wind is blowing so that I can't get any bubbles to last long enough to get snow in them. This might work better tomorrow night when the wind is so strong.
0 likes   

HeartofNC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby HeartofNC » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:16 am

Too Funny! You thawed your hose? :lol: Will try the bubbles today, it was too windy yesterday. I've got about a 1/2 gallon of them... Sounds neat!
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”