Texas Summer-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer-2015

#81 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:18 pm

JDawg512 wrote:Yea I saw that last sentence too and thought to myself most of July??? I know we are entering the inactive phase of the MJO in this part of the world but I would think by 2 weeks we would start to see a transition. What are your thoughts NTXW?

I'm not suprised that the first half of July will be quiet but I'd be suprised if the last half stays quiet.

There will be a lot of volatility with the models if they don't grasp tropical forcing and MJO well. We saw how the GFS has flipped back and forth 180 from one run to the other, they probably like climo heat. While we can't rule that out any kind of heat will be subdued IMO, vegetation is as green as I've seen it any summer.

In the bigger picture there is a massive WWB progressing the Pacific. Rain rates are increasing eastward and when they arrive will spell much more active second half of July than the first half. There isn't a clear signal yet within 7 days but it will probably come. The season is different so we might not see as much rain as May, but the progression is similar. Stick to the 5 day forecast and watch the typhoons/EPAC hurricanes evolve as they can alter the pattern that gives models issues.

I circled the previous high rainfall rates with the last WWB late May into early June. Lined up the next WWB and rainfall plume which will get things much more humid later this month.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#82 Postby Brent » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:39 am

Gross, I checked the GFS meteogram(I really need to stop this). :roll: The good news is it's over 240 hours out :P

For DFW

264 Wed 07/15 00Z 105 ° 77 ° 73 ° ENE 2 NE 2 N 2 0.00 0.00 586 591 -5 ° 28 ° 35 ° 1006 0 % 24 °
276 Wed 07/15 12Z 102 ° 78 ° 58 ° SSE 2 SE 9 NNE 2 0.02 0.02 581 589 -6 ° 25 ° 30 ° 1009 2 % 21 °
288 Thu 07/16 00Z 106 ° 80 ° 85 ° NE 7 NNE 9 N 11 0.00 0.00 585 590 -6 ° 28 ° 36 ° 1006 0 % 25 °
300 Thu 07/16 12Z 103 ° 78 ° 69 ° NE 7 NE 4 W 7 0.02 0.03 581 590 -7 ° 26 ° 29 ° 1010 9 % 21 °
0 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby JDawg512 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:27 pm

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe 4th of July! :flag:

Yay no 100s!
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:14 pm

As NTX stated earlier, with the MJO ramping up, expecting big rains to come later in the month. Last time it ramped up like this was around April/May if i remember. Well, hopefully things dont get out of hand.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DonWrk
Category 1
Category 1

#85 Postby DonWrk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Looks like we will miss this bulk of the precip before temps climb to near 100 degrees late in the week.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#86 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:28 am

:uarrow: Models continue to not perform well. They keep wanting heat but it's just not sustainable. NWS have faltered to them and tried to forecast triple digits for instance last week say mid this week (today tomorrow and thurs) may try to push 100...well it could rain and barely budge 90.

Beware the model's climo and the WWB/MJO surge. Go with the seasonal trend in additional to model output.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:17 am

Models have been all over the place. I tried to see the MJO connection in the models yesterday for the coming week and didnt see it one bit.

Typically how long does it take for the link to effect us or is the high amplitude MJO affecting us already?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#88 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:58 am

Abilene has recorded over 6" of rain this morning...in July
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

opticsguy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby opticsguy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:17 am

Is this a "brown hurricane" developing? Nice CCW flow in the lower levels and high pressure in the upper levels.

Not an official forecast.
0 likes   

JayDT
Category 1
Category 1

#90 Postby JayDT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:41 am

So with all that rain out west, does that mean we have a better chance of rain here in Dallas?
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#91 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Looks like FWD is using some new graphics on their point forecast, I like them, I wonder what the new snow and sleet graphics will look like?
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#92 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:17 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Models have been all over the place. I tried to see the MJO connection in the models yesterday for the coming week and didnt see it one bit.

Typically how long does it take for the link to effect us or is the high amplitude MJO affecting us already?

I do have quite a bit to learn about the specifics of the MJO. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read so far is that it starts to break down during a strong EPAC El Niño. Some of the recent models show it very strong right now but then it weakens as it moves into the western hemisphere or even retrogrades back to the east.

My question is what kind of direct impact will that have on Texas? If it weakens or retrogrades west again wouldn't that keep us in a fairly stable pattern?
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#93 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:37 pm

JDawg512 wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Models have been all over the place. I tried to see the MJO connection in the models yesterday for the coming week and didnt see it one bit.

I do have quite a bit to learn about the specifics of the MJO. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read so far is that it starts to break down during a strong EPAC El Niño. Some of the recent models show it very strong right now but then it weakens as it moves into the western hemisphere or even retrogrades back to the east.

My question is what kind of direct impact will that have on Texas? If it weakens or retrogrades west again wouldn't that keep us in a fairly stable pattern?

Well the MJO has a different kind of effect based on where it is located. The phase it is in now means warm weather in the West, Central US it is typically cool and wet. For Texas specifically, i know it means lots of rain but how far out from the impulse, im not sure of.

In April their was a big burst by the MJO i believe and we see how that played out. Its different for every month though
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Bob Rose:

We may need to keep a close eye on developments in the Gulf of Mexico in another week to ten days. Stay tuned.

http://www.lcra.org/water/river-and-wea ... ather.aspx
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:02 am

This is nicer news for Lake Buchanan. We are dry down here, but the Colorado River at Winchell (upstream of Buchanan) is at flood stage where they have had multiple inches. 7.52 inches since midnight at the Colorado River at Winchell LCRA gauge! Looks like a rain bomb in the right place to me. :wink:

Summary Last Update: Jul 8 2015 10:38AM
Heavy rains have fallen in the San Saba River, upper Colorado River and Pecan Bayou watersheds yesterday and today, July 7-8. Storm runoff has caused a rise on the Colorado River, Pecan Bayou and Brady Creek. The storm runoff is expected to reach Lake Buchanan by Friday, July 10 and will continue to flow into Buchanan for several days.

No floodgate operations are expected at any LCRA dams at this time.

Forecasts can change quickly with additional rainfall. Unscheduled releases from the Highland Lakes dams may occur suddenly and unexpectedly at any time to pass inflows to the lakes or other reasons. The public should exercise caution and avoid being in the water near the dams at all times.

http://floodstatus.lcra.org/
http://hydromet.lcra.org/full.aspx#
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby Brent » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Looks like the 100's are coming. :sleeping:
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Brent wrote:Looks like the 100's are coming.

The stages of Summer denial, with a mirage.lol
:think: :rain: :D :sun: :onfire: :crying: :layout: :Pick: :bored: :rain: :D
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby Brent » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:19 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:

LOL

In the meantime...

Getting clipped by this piece of thunderstorms on the north side of DFW... downpour out of nowhere.
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Brent wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:

LOL

In the meantime...

Getting clipped by this piece of thunderstorms on the north side of DFW... downpour out of nowhere.

Oh yeah! That reminded me, I ran into a random downpour yesterday on the way home from work (forgot to mention on here). It was a nice surprise! :)
It was dry at the house, but I wasn't expecting anything for a least 10-14 days. Maybe we'll luck out and get a couple more random downpours, despite the death ridge grip. El Nino may make it possible, but no telling. We need Ntxw's input on if there is a case study of El Nino in Texas Summer and its effect on inferno ridges. But I guess we'll find out next week in any case. :wink:
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#100 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:12 pm

Flooding rains in Texoma's watershed again the last three days. Oklahoma MesoNet shows as much as 7 1/2 inches in isolated spots on the Sooner State's side of the Red River with many other locations receiving 2-5 inches (and this was in the Washita River drainage as well as the Red River drainage).

Local Denison/Sherman TV met Steve LaNore of KXII said a day or two ago that Lake Texoma is likely to go over the spillway again. If so, this will be the third time in six weeks.

And that's after the lake went over the spillway a total of three times in the 60+ years of the lake's previous history.

As for the 100s, we'll see. Ntxw pointed out the other day that such an idea has been floated before by the models but hasn't panned out yet. And after this week's heavy rains, soils are awfully moist again in many areas of the state.

But if it does reach the 100s, well, this is Texas after all. :)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”