2013 SE TX/ SW LA Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: 2013 SE TX/ SW LA Weather

#81 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Nikki wrote:Sure is windy here on the coast this evening, and it sure is nice!!!!!!

It is even a little breezy here in the city, but it didn't keep the temps down. :roll: :( High was 96f today. Still hoping against the models that Ingrid sends us some rain.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

#82 Postby Nikki » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:56 am

vbhoutex wrote:
Nikki wrote:Sure is windy here on the coast this evening, and it sure is nice!!!!!!

It is even a little breezy here in the city, but it didn't keep the temps down. :roll: :( High was 96f today. Still hoping against the models that Ingrid sends us some rain.

I am with you on this one, I cannot wait for our first front!!! :D
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#83 Postby Tireman4 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:29 am

Warm. Check. Humid. Check. Drenched in sweat from yard work (9:00 am to 10:30 am). Check. Wanting this crud over with a front. Check.
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

Re:

#84 Postby Nikki » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:20 am

Tireman4 wrote:Warm. Check. Humid. Check. Drenched in sweat from yard work (9:00 am to 10:30 am). Check. Wanting this crud over with a front. Check.

YUP, YUP, YUP, AND YUP!!! :lol: meaning I agree with all statements above!! I hope our winter is so wet our trees stay green, even the ones that normally don't in the winter!!!
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#85 Postby Jagno » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:06 am

We got a nice Saturday afternoon which helped to cool things down a bit. Too bad it didn't get rid of the love bugs. I am so ready for some fall like temperatures.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#86 Postby CajunMama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 pm

It's dry here and hoping for some rain soon. A burn ban goes into effect tomorrow afternoon here and in many other parishes. The following parishes are under the burn ban: Acadia, Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, DeSoto, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, LaSalle, Lincoln, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, and Winn.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#87 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 am

Got 0.33" of rain day before yesterday which was welcome. We are now up to 0.42" for the month!!!
Jeff says we're going to get wet.
Ingredients coming together to produce a period of potentially heavy rainfall across the area.

Remains and associated moisture from tropical cyclones Ingrid and Manuel will be moving northward over the next 24 hours into TX. At the same time the first “real” cool front of the fall season will be moving down the plains and into TX early Friday. Additionally, deep tropical moisture associated with a complex disturbance (95L) over the Yucatan this morning will also progress NW toward TX by Friday. Lastly, a fairly strong short wave in the upper air flow will carve into the state by Friday afternoon helping to aid in stronger lift of a near completely saturated air mass.

Incoming and slow moving frontal boundary will produce strong surface convergence in a very moist atmosphere with the potential for slow storm motions and training of cells. Moisture values by late Thursday reach to nearly 150% to 175% of normal for this time of year and the forecast soundings show a nearly saturated air column indicating a deep warm layer and near excellent rainfall production (no dry air aloft evaporating falling rain).

Expect scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms Thursday afternoon, but the main event appears aimed at Friday afternoon and night as the slow moving front crosses the area. Potential for organized heavy rainfall along and ahead of the boundary for several hours starting Friday afternoon. With such a saturated air mass, rainfall rates of 2-3 inches per hour are possible. Storm totals may average 1-3 inches with isolated higher amounts under training cells.

While grounds are dry due to the ongoing drought conditions across the area, short term rainfall rates may easily overwhelm drainage capacities in urban areas leading to quick flooding or roadways. 3-hr flash flood guidance for Harris and surrounding counties is running in the 3.0-4.0 inch range which is relatively high.

95L:

The other item of interest is the tropical system currently nearing the western shore of the Yucatan Peninsula. This well organized system will move over the warm waters of the Bay of Campeche later today where development into a tropical cyclone is likely….80%. This system is forecast to move slowly WNW to NW for the next 48 hours. Thereafter a complex interaction with the front moving off the TX coast makes for a very difficult forecast. Some model guidance turns the system west into MX and others loop the system northward toward TX/LA and yet others send it due east toward FL. Much depends on if 95L becomes captured by the trough along the US Gulf coast. Forecast confidence is extremely low at the moment.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo/two_atl.gif

http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images ... orm_95.gif

0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#88 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:59 am

Jeff says we are still going to get wet! I've had 0.48" so far out of this system.
Factors continue to come together for widespread heavy rainfall across much of S, C, SE TX Friday-midday Saturday.

A slow moving frontal boundary will combine with deep tropical moisture from both eastern Pacific Hurricane Manuel and southern Gulf of Mexico tropical disturbance 95L to produce potentially excessive rainfall across the area. This tends to be a classic flash flood setup for the state of TX especially along and E of I-35 into the coastal bend area. Moisture levels are forecast to increase to near +2 SD above normal for mid September by Friday morning (PWS of 2.25 to 2.45 inches). This suggest the air column will be saturated through a deep layer with little evaporation of falling rain. Storm motions will gradually slow from their quick NW motions today to 5-10 mph on Friday out of the SW and WSW which raises the threat for excessive rainfall accumulations. Additionally steering winds and low level boundaries will promote cell training which also increases the flash flood threat.

Coastal convergence early Friday morning (stronger winds over the Gulf colliding with weaker inland winds near the coast) will promote widespread development. Think most of this activity will remain near the coast or possibly work as far inland as US 59, although experience with such tropical air masses suggest the activity will anchor near the coast or the coastal counties. As the front enters the area Friday afternoon along with upper air disturbances from the remains of Manuel, development will become widespread across the entire area and likely last into the overnight hours.

With the air column expected to be saturated through a deep layer, rainfall rates will be on the excessive side. Organized convection will be capable of producing a rapid 1-3 inches in an hour or less. Widespread rainfall amounts of 1-3 inches appear possible with isolate totals up to 5 inches especially under areas a cell training. These types of air masses are very capable of producing some big totals in a short period of time.

Grounds are dry to very dry across the region and flash flood guidance is high which should help mitigate run-off especially in rural areas. Urban areas may suffer more from the high potential rainfall rates with primary drainage systems possibly overwhelmed. With rivers and lakes running below to well below normal, this rainfall is not expected to generate flood flows on area rivers…but hopefully with return them to at least base flow conditions.

Drier air will filter into the region by Saturday afternoon ending he chance of rainfall. Post frontal conditions may allow overnight temperatures to fall into the 60’s for many locations by early next week.

95L:

Area of low pressure over the Bay of Campeche this morning remains fairly well organized, but lacks significant amounts of thunderstorm activity due to some dry air near the system. This system still has a high chance of developing into a tropical cyclone as it drifts WNW toward the eastern coast of Mexico. Latest computer guidance is in much better agreement on a track toward the WNW and NW possibly making landfall in the same region that Ingrid made landfall last week. With a cold front pushing off the TX coast this weekend, this should prevent any northward turn or impacts to our region.

http://derecho.math.uwm.edu/models/al952013.png

0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#89 Postby southerngale » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm still in Houston and it's been raining all day. It's raining in the Beaumont area as well. I have hit some minor street flooding, but we have sure needed the rain. High chances today, tonight, and tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#90 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:36 pm

southerngale wrote:I'm still in Houston and it's been raining all day. It's raining in the Beaumont area as well. I have hit some minor street flooding, but we have sure needed the rain. High chances today, tonight, and tomorrow.

You might as well move...LOL
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#91 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Pouring at my house with a good old fashioned afternoon thunderstorm going on. Moderate lightning and thunder so far, but getting noisier and the worst of the storm is still South of me. We may be in a training situation. Going to be watching it closely. Closing in on half an inch and still raining. :D :rain:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#92 Postby southerngale » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
southerngale wrote:I'm still in Houston and it's been raining all day. It's raining in the Beaumont area as well. I have hit some minor street flooding, but we have sure needed the rain. High chances today, tonight, and tomorrow.

You might as well move...LOL

I know, right?

0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby PTrackerLA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Flash Flood Watch just posted. 5"-6" + area-wide :eek:

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LAKE CHARLES HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF LOUISIANA AND SOUTHEAST
TEXAS...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN LOUISIANA...
ACADIA...ALLEN...AVOYELLES...BEAUREGARD...CALCASIEU...EAST
CAMERON...EVANGELINE...IBERIA...JEFFERSON DAVIS...LAFAYETTE...
LOWER ST. MARTIN...RAPIDES...ST. LANDRY...ST. MARY...UPPER ST.
MARTIN...VERMILION...VERNON AND WEST CAMERON. IN SOUTHEAST
TEXAS...HARDIN...JEFFERSON...NORTHERN JASPER...NORTHERN
NEWTON...ORANGE...SOUTHERN JASPER...SOUTHERN NEWTON AND TYLER.

* THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING

* SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CONTINUE TO
DEVELOP AND MOVE OVER THE AREA THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT...EXPECTED
TO DIMINISH BY SUNDAY MORNING. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILL
AVERAGE 5 TO 6 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS LIKELY.

* SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL CONTINUE TO FORM AND MOVE OVER
THE SAME AREAS OVERNIGHT INTO SATURDAY...WITH FLOODING POSSIBLE.
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby BigB0882 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:55 pm

I have tickets to the LSU/Auburn game tomorrow. I better go get a poncho.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#95 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm

It has been raining at my house in W Houston for over 3 hours now and on radar it doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon. I am probably up over 2" in the gauge now, but I am not going out to empty it. That is more than I have had in the last 30 days. Urban flood advisory in effect for my area of Houston.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#96 Postby CajunMama » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Here ya go David! You might need this!!! I also thought Zooland was quite appropriate for you! :lol:

0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#97 Postby Jagno » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:30 am

5" of rain and still going strong. Weather warnings suggesting the possibility of rain in excess of 10" now. Great movie watching/junk food consuming weather but we have a business to run. Every single time I get in my car there are wrecks and vehicles in ditches. Did we forget how to drive in the rain? LOL Stay safe everyone.

Lot's of power outages.................but so far I still have power at home thank goodness.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#98 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:39 am

CajunMama wrote:Here ya go David! You might need this!!! I also thought Zooland was quite appropriate for you! :lol:

LOL!! I think I just saw it float down the street!! So far today I have had 5" of rain and most of that came down between 5pm and 10pm. That is more rain than I have had in the last two months. Seem to be in a lull here, but radar tells me it may not last as long as we would like.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#99 Postby CajunMama » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:55 am

And since Frack had a rough night I think she should look into buying one of these....

0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#100 Postby CajunMama » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:57 am

Jagno wrote:5" of rain and still going strong. Weather warnings suggesting the possibility of rain in excess of 10" now. Great movie watching/junk food consuming weather but we have a business to run. Every single time I get in my car there are wrecks and vehicles in ditches. Did we forget how to drive in the rain? LOL Stay safe everyone.

Lot's of power outages.................but so far I still have power at home thank goodness.

Dang Jagno...what should i get you? David got the kiddie float. Frack got the aquacar! An ark? :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”