2013 SE TX/ SW LA Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: 2013 SE TX/ SW LA Weather

#61 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am

Is 1/2" of rain considered wet? That is what I had in an hour long thundershower yesterday. Yay!! First rain in 3 weeks.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#62 Postby southerngale » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Hopefully, Invest 94L will bring some much needed rain to Texas.

0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#63 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Just got word that the waves have gotten bad enough in Galveston that they have closed the beaches. I do not have any official confirmation on this from an agency yet, but I do trust my source.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#64 Postby southerngale » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:24 pm

An uneventful day so far...

Special Weather Statement
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAKE CHARLES LA
118 PM CDT SUN JUL 7 2013

LAZ030>033-041>045-052>055-073-074-TXZ201-215-216-261-262-080000-
BEAUREGARD-ALLEN-EVANGELINE-ST. LANDRY-CALCASIEU-JEFFERSON DAVIS-
ACADIA-LAFAYETTE-UPPER ST. MARTIN-VERMILION-IBERIA-ST. MARY-
LOWER ST. MARTIN-WEST CAMERON-EAST CAMERON-HARDIN-JEFFERSON-
ORANGE-SOUTHERN JASPER-SOUTHERN NEWTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DE RIDDER...OAKDALE...KINDER...
VILLE PLATTE...MAMOU...OPELOUSAS...EUNICE...LAKE CHARLES...
SULPHUR...JENNINGS...WELSH...LAKE ARTHUR...CROWLEY...RAYNE...
CHURCH POINT...LAFAYETTE...BREAUX BRIDGE...ST. MARTINVILLE...
ABBEVILLE...KAPLAN...NEW IBERIA...MORGAN CITY...FRANKLIN...
PATTERSON...BERWICK...BAYOU VISTA...STEPHENSVILLE...HACKBERRY...
HOLLY BEACH...CAMERON...GRAND CHENIER...LUMBERTON...SILSBEE...
BEAUMONT...PORT ARTHUR...ORANGE...VIDOR...BRIDGE CITY...BUNA...
DEWEYVILLE
118 PM CDT SUN JUL 7 2013

...TROPICAL FUNNEL CLOUDS POSSIBLE...

A VERY MOIST AND UNSTABLE TROPICAL AIRMASS IS IN PLACE ACROSS THE
AREA. MEANWHILE...THE VERTICAL WIND PROFILE OVER THE AREA IS LIGHT
AND VARIABLE. THESE CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR THE DEVELOPMENT
OF TROPICAL FUNNEL CLOUDS...ESPECIALLY WHERE RAIN COOLED
BOUNDARIES...KNOWN AS OUTFLOW BOUNDARIES...AND THE SEABREEZE
COLLIDE.

THESE TROPICAL FUNNEL CLOUDS ARE USUALLY SHORT-LIVED AND RARELY
REACH THE GROUND. IF THE FUNNEL CLOUD BECOMES MORE SEVERE AND
DOES REACH THE GROUND...MINOR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.

STAY TUNED FOR LATER STATEMENTS AND UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER
SITUATION.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#65 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:17 pm

102f at the Weatherbug station closest to me today. Had incoming strong storms and once they hit the hot air in out area they went poof. Saw a rainfall(official) amount for the year and we are now over a foot below normal. Can you say DROUGHT is back!! In fact I need to go out and set the sprinkler before I lose some grass. Sad considering it rained 2x this week.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#66 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 am

Morning e-mail from Jeff:

Upper level low currently over central OK responsible for the widespread much needed rainfall yesterday and overnight.

Low is currently moving toward the W toward NW TX with a swath of deep tropical moisture streaming inland on the SE flank of the system. Overnight large area of rainfall on the southern flank of the low is starting to weaken while numerous showers are starting to develop over the coastal waters and inland as moisture streams northward. Should see pretty decent rainfall coverage today with storms moving quickly from SSE to NNW across the area. Deep tropical moisture with PWS of 2.0 inches will support a heavy rainfall threat. While grounds are dry any training of rainfall could result in some localized flooding problems. Even though there was some wind damage yesterday, do not expect as much wind with the storms today as the column is closer to saturation.

Upper low digs into SW TX and N MX Tuesday/Wednesday with high pressure centered to our NE allowing a continued moist onshore flow. Expect good coverage of rainfall both Tuesday and Wednesday. Likely see coastal develop in the 400-800am period followed by inland progression of storms beyond 800am. High pressure may attempt to build into the area on Thursday, but it is to be seen if an how much influence the high will have. Will likely at least continue to see isolate the scattered development on the seabreeze each day into the weekend.

While not expected to be a drought breaker this is the best rain chances over multi days that we have seen in a long time.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/Lo ... s_loop.gif
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#67 Postby southerngale » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:35 pm

I've gotten quite a bit of rain since Sunday, off and on. I had a very strong storm this afternoon that dropped about an inch in a short time. A few jump out of your skin moments with the thunder as well and I LOVE storms. I picked up 2 1/2 inches in another strong storm on Sunday as well with scattered showers off and on in between. I know I'm one of the lucky ones... I hope 97L brings others some much needed rain

Special Weather Statement
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAKE CHARLES LA
304 PM CDT TUE JUL 16 2013

TXZ180-201-215-216-259>261-162100-
HARDIN TX-NORTHERN JASPER TX-NORTHERN NEWTON TX-TYLER TX-JEFFERSON
TX-ORANGE TX-SOUTHERN JASPER TX-
304 PM CDT TUE JUL 16 2013

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR HARDIN...JASPER...NEWTON...
TYLER...JEFFERSON AND ORANGE COUNTIES UNTIL 400 PM CDT...

AT 300 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A
LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS FROM 6 MILES NORTH OF KIRBYVILLE TO 8
MILES SOUTH OF LUMBERTON...MOVING WEST AT 25 MPH.

THE LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT AREAS IN AND AROUND...
SILSBEE...MT. UNION...MAGNOLIA SPRINGS...CANEY HEAD...SOUR LAKE AND
FRED.

THE PRIMARY THREATS FROM THESE STORMS ARE FREQUENT LIGHTNING AND WIND
GUSTS TO NEAR 40 MPH...WHICH COULD DOWN TREE LIMBS AND BLOW AROUND
UNSECURED SMALL OBJECTS. SEEK SHELTER IN A SAFE HOME OR BUILDING
UNTIL THESE STORMS HAVE PASSED.

THESE STORMS COULD PRODUCE RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF ONE TO TWO INCHES IN A
SHORT PERIOD OF TIME...RESULTING IN PONDING OF WATER AROUND LOW LYING
ROADWAYS. REMEMBER...DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO WATER COVERED
ROADWAYS. THE DEPTH MAY BE TOO GREAT TO ALLOW A SAFE CROSSING.

LAT...LON 3050 9470 3050 9455 3070 9460 3086 9452
3077 9380 3009 9414 3010 9445 3011 9445
3011 9460 3045 9472

$$
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#68 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:27 am

Awoke to a tropical downpour at the house this am. Ended up getting 0.78" in about 15 minutes. Now that's what I'm talking about!! That is more than all the rain I have gotten this week and it has rained every day for the last 7 days.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#69 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

And so right on schedule August heats up.
Latest from Jeff Lindner:
The NWS has issued a Heat Advisory for the following counties: Chambers, Liberty, Harris, Galveston, Brazoria, Matagorda, and Jackson.

Upper level ridge of high pressure centered over TX this morning will provide general subsidence through much of the week. Low level moisture will not mix out as much this week as last week resulting in afternoon heat index values reaching into the 105-112 range especially near the coast. We are fairly borderline on the heat advisory criteria (2-days of 108 heat index or above in a row or overnight lows at or above 80). Coastal locations have not been falling below 80 for several days now and with surface dewpoints hovering in the upper 70’s at night, overnight heat index values at Galveston have not been falling much below 93-96 degrees. Afternoon heat index values yesterday did reach 108 at Hobby Airport and 110 at Galveston. Inland areas are mixing out the low level moisture better during the afternoon hours keeping the heat index values in the 100-105 range. Heat stress is cumulative on the body, so the failure of overnight temperatures to fall much below 80 and afternoon heat index values to climb well above 105 can become dangerous if it continues for several days.

There will be little to no change in the overall pattern through all of this week as strong high pressure remains anchored over the state. Afternoon highs will range 95-97 along the coast and 98-103 inland.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#70 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Third day in a row for 100F or better at my house. Is it fall yet? Dust seems to be less today, but not all gone yet. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it, even with radar showing rain moving W along the GOM coast in LA.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#71 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 am

Final high at the house yesterday 102f. No rain yet this month. Storms South of I-10(2 miles S of me)this am while we have :sun: :sun: . I'll believe the 40% when I see it pass over my house. Actually that has already been met with the storms from here to the coast. I may be sol for the rain here. :roll:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#72 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 am

Had another 101f high after that one the next day. Just totaled my rain for the month so far and I'm up to a whopping 0.68" so far. Can you say CONTINUING DROUGHT!! :roll: :roll:
At least the highs for the last few days were only in the 90s.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#73 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:55 pm

From Jeff Lindner:
Favorable pattern continues in place to support daily rain chances.

Upper level high pressure cells located west and east of TX this morning with a break in the high pressure ridges over TX. This has allowed overall weakened height fields and less sinking air. The high over the SE US continues to pump a stream of tropical air from FL across the Gulf to the TX coast and this is confirmed by moist soundings from both CRP and LCH with PWS at or above 1.8 inches across the region. Higher moisture levels are found from the Sabine River eastward and will gradually work westward over the next few days. Tropical wave is noted extending from south of Cuba to off the western coast of FL and moving west.

With the Gulf of Mexico wide open allowing both moisture and tropical waves to arrive on the TX coast…rain chances will continue through the weekend. Showers and thunderstorms will develop in the 300-700am time period offshore and along the coast and begin to advance inland during the morning hours. Daytime heating in the very moist air mass will support scattered development during the afternoon hours inland from the coast once surface temperatures achieve the mid to upper 80’s. Tropical wave axis moving inland periodically over the next few days will support higher rain chances on their eastern flanks or once the waves have passed west of our location. Could argue for higher rain chances on Saturday and Sunday when the current eastern Gulf wave should arrive.

While this pattern does support decent rainfall chances (30-50%) it is still scattered in nature and not everyone will see rainfall each day. Generally rainfall amounts will average 1-2 inches over the next 5 days south of I-10 and less than an inch north of I-10, but some locations will see no rainfall and other locations will see several inches of rainfall. This tropical air mass is very capable of producing some hefty rainfall totals in a short period of time (3-5 inches over NE Grimes and NW Walker Counties late yesterday evening). Boundary collisions will help to determine where the greatest rainfall on a daily basis will reside.

Overall pattern is favorable for any tropical entity to head in the general direction of the NW/W Gulf, but at this time there is nothing in the Caribbean or western Atlantic that looks on the verge of developing.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#74 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Ah, NOT!!! Currently 102f here at the house. :onfire: :firedevil: :firedevil: It has been partly cloudy most of the day so I am a little surprised at the temp. I am NOW READY FOR A REAL COLD FRONT TO COME THROUGH HOUSTON, but I fear I will be waiting at least a month for that. :roll: :roll: Rains this past week have taken me up to almost 2" for the month, so that is about 4" in the last 2 1/2 months, only about a foot below normal. :eek: :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#75 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Another 102f high today at the house. Getting ready to pull the woolies out though. Cloud cover has brought the temp down to a frosty 92f. :cold:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

SaskatchewanScreamer

#76 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 pm

vbhoutex wrote:Another 102f high today at the house. Getting ready to pull the woolies out though. Cloud cover has brought the temp down to a frosty 92f. :cold:

:uarrow: :roflmao:

Well for a few seconds I forgot about the fact that I'm turning into a mummy! :eek:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#77 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Repeat! :firedevil: :onfire: :red:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#78 Postby CajunMama » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:20 pm

I was in Manhattan, KS over the weekend where it got up to 103 and hotter than Lafayette was. We were on the KSU football field for about 10 minutes and I was dying. I don't know what the field temp was and I don't know how the players do it!

It doesn't matter...humidity or no humidity. When it gets over 100 degrees, hot is hot!!!!!!!!!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#79 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:25 am

CajunMama wrote:I was in Manhattan, KS over the weekend where it got up to 103 and hotter than Lafayette was. We were on the KSU football field for about 10 minutes and I was dying. I don't know what the field temp was and I don't know how the players do it!

It doesn't matter...humidity or no humidity. When it gets over 100 degrees, hot is hot!!!!!!!!!

But it is a "dry" heat! :roll: :roll: How many times have I heard that? And there is a difference in the feel, but IT IS STILL HOT!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

#80 Postby Nikki » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Sure is windy here on the coast this evening, and it sure is nice!!!!!!
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”