Texas Fall-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:56 am

Ntx, im expected an update on the Siberian Snow advance update about every 3 days :). Been looking at models and the next ten days dont look great for snow up there :(
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#42 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 am

Don't worry yet about snow advance TPB, the correlation is in October and ties with the AO for that month. Late Sept is when snow falls and how quickly coverage expands during October is when the SAI begins.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall-2015

#43 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 am

There's hope!

0 likes   
#neversummer

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby gboudx » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:33 am

Is it time to start looking at acorns, catepillars, ant mounds or some other natural phenomena to forecast the upcoming winter? I saw an armadillo in my backyard the past 2 mornings. I'm pretty sure the little dude was looking for grubs. But is he eating ferociously to make a thicker armor due to a bitter cold winter coming up?
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#45 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 pm

:uarrow: a few weeks from now about the time the past couple of years I would start looking to see how big ant mounds were getting and last year at the beginning of October my tree at my house started producing acorns for the first time my family have lived in our house since 2003.

By the way the The Northeast Pacific Warm pool is still there. which is why as of right now is why some forecasters aren't forecasting a typical strong El Nino Winter for the U.S, which could possibly mean more cold air intrusions from the North into Texas. Also another guy on a different forum I'm on said that 1957 also had a slight warm pool in the NE Pacific, though it wasn't as pronounce as this one.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#46 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Ntxw wrote:Don't worry yet about snow advance TPB, the correlation is in October and ties with the AO for that month. Late Sept is when snow falls and how quickly coverage expands during October is when the SAI begins.

Ahh its for Oct. Ok thank you!

gboudx wrote:Is it time to start looking at acorns, catepillars, ant mounds or some other natural phenomena to forecast the upcoming winter? I saw an armadillo in my backyard the past 2 mornings. I'm pretty sure the little dude was looking for grubs. But is he eating ferociously to make a thicker armor due to a bitter cold winter coming up?

For the acorns, i think it will be happening soon. Last year i believe it was, was ridiculous. Couldnt walk my dog bare foot around the house!

In regards of 1957, last year we had an El nino-ish year with the warm pool and remember the MASSIVE arctic HP's we had cross the border but were shunted eastward? Im worried that this will happen again.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#47 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

Getting a heavy storm here in Columbus, I've been pretty lucky I forgot to pack an umbrella, but I've been inside every time it rains. I need to go buy one soon lol. :lol:
0 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#48 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

The 12Z GFS dropped the mid-month cold front. More 70s to 90s each day through the 18th. Whew!
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby aggiecutter » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:41 pm

wxman57 wrote:The 12Z GFS dropped the mid-month cold front. More 70s to 90s each day through the 18th. Whew!

Not so fast my friend:

Last edited by aggiecutter on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:The 12Z GFS dropped the mid-month cold front. More 70s to 90s each day through the 18th. Whew!

Uh-oh, it is that time of year. Let the battle begin!! Summer is in its waning days and a cold front will be here sooner or later. It is just a matter of time. Hold on to the last days of summer because autumn then winter will be here soon!!! :cold: :cold: :cold:
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#51 Postby Portastorm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:00 pm

gpsnowman wrote:

Uh-oh, it is that time of year. Let the battle begin!! Summer is in its waning days and a cold front will be here sooner or later. It is just a matter of time. Hold on to the last days of summer because autumn then winter will be here soon!!! :cold: :cold: :cold:

Yes, wxman57's favorite season will soon be at end and the lunatics will begin running the asylum! Oh, about cold fronts, the last two runs of the European have shown a cold front of decent strength moving into the Southern Plains around 9/11-9/12. :wink:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#52 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:54 pm

Warm run of the Euro several days near 98-100 most of next week. At the very end cold front comes and temperature falls towards the lower 70s, leaving us to wonder what may be next...in about 10 days
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby Janie2006 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:03 am

The models have been fairly consistent over the last few days with bringing in a cold front around the middle of the month. This morning's GFS continues to indicate temperatures trending down over the month. Sure, that's climatology for September, but the idea is consistent, or so it seems to me. The prognostication for the 12th (granted that's the end of the forecast period) indicates the front across north Texas to Amarillo, with cooler continental air behind it. GFS is spitting out a high of 80 and a low of 59 for Birmingham by that date, and that's been the GFS position for the last 3 days. And that model has been consistently too warm for us for daily highs in the Yellowhammer state by about 3-4 degrees over the past couple of weeks at least.

As for the race to 59*F....I'll leave that to youse guys familiar with local Texas climatology. :P
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:50 am

Janie2006 wrote:As for the race to 59*F....I'll leave that to youse guys familiar with local Texas climatology. :P

I don't know if anyone made it officially, but a couple weeks ago or so parts of East Texas were at 60F. Hope the mid-month front gets us down around 55F.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#55 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Welp I'm finding out parts of campus flood fairly easily, good thing I'm in a tower on the hill part.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#56 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:30 pm

A storm decided to train over us and we're under a flood warning now.
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby aggiecutter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Big changes on the way for NE Texas:

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/weather ... A.facebook
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby Brent » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Weatherbug dropped the rain but has mid 80s for highs and upper 60s for lows next weekend. It's a start.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#59 Postby Ntxw » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:51 pm

Texas summers are long...reminding me how much I enjoy winter, even a warm one.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#60 Postby Brent » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:28 am

Ntxw wrote:Texas summers are long...reminding me how much I enjoy winter, even a warm one.

Totally this. I came into my first winter here last year all disappointed by the lack of snow til late February but I think I have a totally different mindset on this winter. Just ready for it to not be 90+ everyday. lol. I'm sure it will be active and wet this winter, but I am curious as to how the temperature trends go...
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”