Stormchasers were killed in Oklahoma event

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#41 Postby artist » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 am

brunota2003 wrote:http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/03/2830991/storm-chasers-deaths-in-okla-tornado.html

I'm sure this will be the first article of many, people calling for regulations of storm chasing. While I agree it is next to impossible to do that, that doesn't mean people aren't going to try.

from the article -
Several other chasers were hit by the tornado. Among them was the Weather Channel’s “Tornado Hunt” vehicle, which was reported to have been lifted and thrown an estimated 200 yards. All three people inside the vehicle, including meteorologist Mike Bettes, survived, but the driver suffered a broken neck, fractured vertebrae and several broken ribs.Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/03/283099 ... rylink=cpy

I had not heard about that. I hope they have a quick recovery.

I, personally, think storm chasing by those with the correct knowledge, helps to warn people. I do believe there are those that do it for nothing other than the thrill, and haven't the slightest idea what they are doing and put themselves and others at risk.
What can you do? I don't think regulations is the answer.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby artist » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 am

from the other thread -

Texas Snowman Post subject: Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 am

Category 5

Location: Denison, Texas Another chaser death from Friday's El Reno tornado:

http://newsok.com/article/3841315
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Stormchasers were killed in Oklahoma event

#43 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 pm

The vorts were moving at more than 150mph , and the fact this was 2.6miles in diameter, and the fact it changed direction caught all storm chasers of guard and killed 3, one of which was the most respected in this field, so if he can get killed by this then anyone can
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby lurkey » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 pm

From the Twistex FB page:

Information about the funeral services for Tim, Paul, & Carl -- and where to send sympathy cards:

The service for Tim and Paul will be held Thursday at 1pm at Mission Hills Church, 620 SouthPark Drive in Littleton, CO.

Sympathy cards should be sent to Jim Samaras, 7985 Witney Place, Lone Tree, CO 80124.

Carl's service will be held Saturday at 12 with burial at 3pm at McFarlane Mortuary in South Lake Tahoe, CA.

Sympathy cards should be sent to Bob Young, Box 8604, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96158.

Memorials for Carl should be sent to Ventana Wildlife Society.
0 likes   
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-- Hamlet, Act 1, scene 5

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress. - Jacob, Lost

"Every single day, ordinary people do extraordinary things." --Jimmy V

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 pm

I have so many thoughts on this whole ordeal. Bear with me as I try to put them into words.

1) Samaras and Young were class acts and were in the field for the right reasons. The fact that they were the individuals killed in the storm is hard to grasp to me. I see the images of the vehicle and my heart breaks. I know they were doing what they loved, but they were extremely safe compared to several others of whom videos have emerged in recent days. Their contributions have been valuable and they will continue to be standard bearers for solid work in the field of chasing.

2)This regulation conversation could go political pretty quickly and I will try to avoid flaming it. That said, I am not sure just how you go about regulating people on highways. Why would you want to take law enforcement away from the protection of life and property by pulling over potential chasers? I would support stiffer fines for storm chasers who are caught breaking the law.

3) Finally, I am tired of hearing some of these chasers blame the locals. I have been stormchasing. I am not an expert or all that experienced, but one of the very first things you are taught before you go out in the field is situational awareness. It is your responsibility to have an escape route. It is your responsibility to stay at a distance safe enough to adapt to a storm's movements. I agree that this storm's movement was more erratic than some. It also had a huge mesocyclone with lots of satellite tornadoes. I get that. All of those are reasons that could lead to the error, but going on national tv and bashing the people of OKC for causing them to be in the wrong place at the wrong time is irresponsible and gives chasers a bad reputation.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 am

vbhoutex wrote:The news started coming out late Saturday when a more thorough check of who had been in the area was done and when authorities had really had a chance to check the area out. I imagine the delay was also due to notification of next of kin. Remember there was horrible chaos surrounding this particular tornado. A lot of normally cautious and good chasers were caught off guard by this one as the mesocyclone that the tornado(s) was imbedded in at times measured close to 5 miles across. I have seen reports of 100+mph winds well over a mile from the tornado itself and it was multi-vortex also.

Thanks for the reply. Where did you hear about the mesocyclone being 5 miles wide? Wouldn't the wall cloud have to be that large or bigger then?
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#47 Postby RL3AO » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:13 am

Cyclenall wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:The news started coming out late Saturday when a more thorough check of who had been in the area was done and when authorities had really had a chance to check the area out. I imagine the delay was also due to notification of next of kin. Remember there was horrible chaos surrounding this particular tornado. A lot of normally cautious and good chasers were caught off guard by this one as the mesocyclone that the tornado(s) was imbedded in at times measured close to 5 miles across. I have seen reports of 100+mph winds well over a mile from the tornado itself and it was multi-vortex also.

Thanks for the reply. Where did you hear about the mesocyclone being 5 miles wide? Wouldn't the wall cloud have to be that large or bigger then?

Its quite clear when you look at velocity data from radar just how large the meso was. This was a rare and historic tornado.
0 likes   

EF-5bigj
Category 3
Category 3

#48 Postby EF-5bigj » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:28 pm

Well it looked like a freak storm on radar.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby lurkey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm

@reedtimmerTVN: For those who didn't get a chance to see, Tim and Paul's BEAUTIFUL memorial service is archived: http://t.co/BBM4HWNzVu -
0 likes   
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-- Hamlet, Act 1, scene 5

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress. - Jacob, Lost

"Every single day, ordinary people do extraordinary things." --Jimmy V

andrewsmith1
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#50 Postby andrewsmith1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:28 pm

I just rediscovered this forum after a long absence. It seems like it has been a lot longer than a week since these storms. I am sad at the news of the deaths of these gentlemen who lost their lives attempting to conduct research and save lives. I was in the path of those storms. We did not suffer any damage but we got a lot of rain. Many people in the mid west become terrified at the slightest hint of a storm as a result of these storms. I guess it is good that they are starting to pay attention to warnings but I hope they don't live the rest of their lives in fear.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Did you all see this from John Basham...

May 31st El Reno Tornado; The loss of amazing storm researchers on a world record tornado is both saddening and fitting. These men knew the dangers of their research and still charged in while others would flee or hide. They did this not for thrills, but to expand the science of tornado forecasting. In short, they risked their lives to save others. FROM THIS POINT ON... IN OUR OFFICE... WE WILL REFER TO ANY TORNADO THAT EXCEEDS 250MPH WINDS AND IS GREATER THAN 2 MILES WIDE AS A SAMARAS-YOUNG CLASS TORNADO. Now I would encourage others in the meteorology community to adopt this nomenclature. What these fine men gave the science of Tornado forecasting will likely never be known by the general public. Those of us in the science should always keep their sacrifice in mind.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/JohnBasham7 ... ion=stream
0 likes   

yzerfan
Category 2
Category 2

#52 Postby yzerfan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Tim is the obituary of the week in the most recent The Economist magazine, a globally respected news & business publication. The article is very complimentary of his family's contributions to storm science.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#53 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Tireman4 wrote:Did you all see this from John Basham...

May 31st El Reno Tornado; The loss of amazing storm researchers on a world record tornado is both saddening and fitting. These men knew the dangers of their research and still charged in while others would flee or hide. They did this not for thrills, but to expand the science of tornado forecasting. In short, they risked their lives to save others. FROM THIS POINT ON... IN OUR OFFICE... WE WILL REFER TO ANY TORNADO THAT EXCEEDS 250MPH WINDS AND IS GREATER THAN 2 MILES WIDE AS A SAMARAS-YOUNG CLASS TORNADO. Now I would encourage others in the meteorology community to adopt this nomenclature. What these fine men gave the science of Tornado forecasting will likely never be known by the general public. Those of us in the science should always keep their sacrifice in mind.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/JohnBasham7 ... ion=stream

Thats a classy tribute to one of the best in his field
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#54 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:22 pm

One last very good write up about Tim, Paul, and Carl's last moments. Quite well written.
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-08-29/news/tornado-chaser-tim-samaras-death/6/
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”