Texas Spring-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#2101 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:18 am

About an inch from this morning's activity and still raining.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#2102 Postby Portastorm » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:06 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:About an inch from this morning's activity and still raining.

Got close to an inch and a half here at the Portastorm Weather Center in not-so-scenic (today) southwestern Travis County.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring-2015

#2103 Postby aggiecutter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:54 am

0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2104 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:04 am

I think that the models are initializing the center too far south, maybe by 150 miles. That would shift the heavier rain threat east a bit to between Houston and the mid LA coast, possibly.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#2105 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:21 am

Havent had to use the links in forever but what do the steering currents look like? The HWRF is showing a 992 max wind at 52 winds while its still a tad off the coast but the next plot is onshore.

Havent looked at the shear yet but we have seen these storms spin up very very quickly. Must keep an eye on it.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#2106 Postby aggiecutter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:15 pm

:uarrow:

0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#2107 Postby aggiecutter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:10 pm

0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#2108 Postby JDawg512 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Portastorm wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:About an inch from this morning's activity and still raining.

Got close to an inch and a half here at the Portastorm Weather Center in not-so-scenic (today) southwestern Travis County.

I recorded 2.21 inches with this mornings rain at my house. It really came down hard. The elongated storm moved right overhead through south central and central Travis County.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2109 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:17 pm

It's looking like areas along and East of 35 are going to see at least 1.00-2.50 of rain based on current projected track right now.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2110 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:32 pm

:uarrow: To the Ryan Maue tweet something like this has happened before. Being that the system likely won't be a hurricane, the fact that it is weaker with good dynamics from the atmosphere it is possible. In 2007 tropical storm Erin did this over Oklahoma.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#2111 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:55 pm

JDawg512 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

I recorded 2.21 inches with this mornings rain at my house. It really came down hard. The elongated storm moved right overhead through south central and central Travis County.

We got a couple heavy tropical downpours around the 4pm hour this afternoon. Another 1.2 inches. With this morning's rain, I am at 2.4 inches today.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#2112 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:03 pm

I'd really be paying attention if I lived in the eastern half of the EWX area. After the several inches of rain many areas saw today, the slight westward edging of 91L's model consensus is somewhat concerning.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#2113 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 pm

1900hurricane wrote:I'd really be paying attention if I lived in the eastern half of the EWX area. After the several inches of rain many areas saw today, the slight westward edging of 91L's model consensus is somewhat concerning.

Everyone in the eastern half of the state needs to. As many have had historic May rainfalls, June is going to follow it up with some big totals.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2114 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:42 pm

Latest CMC takes the storm a bit further west and dumps about 10 inches of rain along the I-35 corridor
0 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2115 Postby Portastorm » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:31 am

Ntxw wrote:
1900hurricane wrote:I'd really be paying attention if I lived in the eastern half of the EWX area. After the several inches of rain many areas saw today, the slight westward edging of 91L's model consensus is somewhat concerning.

Everyone in the eastern half of the state needs to. As many have had historic May rainfalls, June is going to follow it up with some big totals.

Pretty much anyone along or east of the I-35 corridor is now " in play" best on the west model trends overnight. Very serious if not catastrophic flooding appears likely by Wednesday.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#2116 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:56 am

Portastorm wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Pretty much anyone along or east of the I-35 corridor is now " in play" best on the west model trends overnight. Very serious if not catastrophic flooding appears likely by Wednesday.

Of course the threat is not over the Lake Buchanan watershed, which is 16 feet below average and about 25 feet below its conservation pool. It still has a flood "cushion." Travis has a flood cushion also, but not as much as early May.

http://hydromet.lcra.org/lakevolume/systemprofile.aspx
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2117 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:06 am

It's interesting it's pressures continues to lower over land on some guidance. That HWRF Ryan Maue posted yesterday doesn't look so far-fetched today. Looking at the flow the area between I-35 and I-45 looks like the bullseye (at this time). I'd go ahead if I were the NWS and put flood watches up and down the region between the two.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2118 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:22 am

It looks like the 12z models are projecting the same path a 6z, maybe a slightly more westward shift.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#2119 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:47 am

Just had our first tropical shower come through and oh my word, went from drizzle to straight DOWNPOUR in an instant.

Also, who else saw the projected PW at 4.2 inches. I have never seen a 3 inch PW. Thats insane. I think Maue posted it yesterday
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#2120 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:34 am

This is a "stay tuned" kind of update.

FXUS64 KEWX 151614
AFDEWX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX
1114 AM CDT MON JUN 15 2015

.UPDATE...BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ACROSS THE SOUTH-CENTRAL GULF
OF MEXICO CONTINUES TRACKING TO THE NORTHWEST. EASTERLY FLOW
ACROSS THE REGION WITH AMPLE MOISTURE IN PLACE...AND DE-STABILIZATION
THROUGH THE DAY WILL LEAD TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF SCATTERED SHOWERS
AND THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE DAY ACROSS CENTRAL AND EASTERN
ZONES. IN ADDITION...WHAT APPEARS TO BE A REMNANT MCV ACROSS WEST-
CENTRAL TEXAS MAY ENHANCE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THE
EDWARDS PLATEAU/NORTHERN HILL COUNTRY THIS AFTERNOON.
CURRENT POP
FORECAST FOR TODAY WITH LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL MENTION ACROSS THE
EAST LOOK GOOD AND NO UPDATES PLANNED AT THIS TIME TO TODAYS
FORECAST. MORE COMING IN THE AFTERNOON PACKAGE ON THE HEAVY
RAINFALL POTENTIAL WITH THE TROPICAL SYSTEM.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”