November 17 Severe Weather & Tornado Outbreak

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: November 17 Severe Weather & Tornado Outbreak

#161 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:01 am

Another stat that is amazing to me is the number of fatalities. Last I saw was 8. 1 is too many, but it appears that early warnings, etc. are now beginning to help reduce casualties during these outbreaks. I sure hope so.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#162 Postby brunota2003 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:12 pm

One thing I read that helped here is social media engagement. People were learning more from social media, and from the new cell phone alerts. The warnings sent to phones were something that should have been done years ago! Probably about 10 years ago, I started asking why there wasn't something like that...whether it be through cell phones one day, or weather radios. If you are driving down the interstate in some place you don't know, even if you hear the tornado warning come over the radio, how do you know what county you are in? Most of the general public doesn't pay to that sort of thing...and while there are road signs, they are few and far between. At least you'll get some kind of alert while driving now, provided you have the newer phones with the updates on them.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”