Texas Fall 2013

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
katheria
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Texas Fall 2013

#1461 Postby katheria » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Portastorm wrote:
katheria wrote:Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

i have been spending time with the smoker this morning also in garland :)

3 turkeys and a 30# ham LOL.....

we are not getting together until Saturday alot of family members cant make it until saturday

Whoa! And here I thought I was doing something with my 15-pd brisket and 11-pd turkey. Yours is much more impressive! :D

Just saw the 12z GFS op run. Colder than the 0z and 6z for the next Arctic plunge but still nowhere near what I think we may see. Curious to see how the crazy Canadian and King Euro shake out today.

Well LOL,

I got 3 free turkeys for i had to do something with them :P

brined two of them in different mixtures and 1 not brined just experimenting to see what we like best :)got a new smoker this year for had to try the turkeys on it :)

the euro better behave! thats all i can say, i want my SNOW! :cheesy:

just a reminder :) 2011

Street WHAT Street???

Last edited by katheria on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   
just a guess.......take everything i say with a grain of salt.......check your local NWS for forecast information

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1462 Postby orangeblood » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:32 pm

aggiecutter wrote:I just looked at the 12z EURO, and I saw no cold air in Texas' future for at least the next 10 days.

Not sure if my sarcasm meter is working currently, but if 20 below normal next weekend isn't cold air I don't know what is :lol:
0 likes   

katheria
Category 1
Category 1

#1463 Postby katheria » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:52 pm

orangeblood wrote:
aggiecutter wrote:I just looked at the 12z EURO, and I saw no cold air in Texas' future for at least the next 10 days.

Not sure if my sarcasm meter is working currently, but if 20 below normal next weekend isn't cold air I don't know what is :lol:

:froze: :notworthy:
0 likes   
just a guess.......take everything i say with a grain of salt.......check your local NWS for forecast information

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1464 Postby wxman57 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm not seeing anything like 1983 or 1989. Here's a plot of the 12Z GFS forecast temps (valid 6am and 6pm). Lows near freezing and a high in the 40 deg range in Houston next Sunday with some rain around. Very much like this week was. A quick warm-up on Tuesday followed by another cold front then another quick warm-up.

Just looked at the 12Z Euro 2m temps for the next 10 days and it doesn't have any freezing temps between Dallas and Houston in the 5-10 day range.

0 likes   

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#1465 Postby Snowman67 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:53 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm not seeing anything like 1983 or 1989. Here's a plot of the 12Z GFS forecast temps (valid 6am and 6pm). Lows near freezing and a high in the 40 deg range in Houston next Sunday with some rain around. Very much like this week was. A quick warm-up on Tuesday followed by another cold front then another quick warm-up.

Just looked at the 12Z Euro 2m temps for the next 10 days and it doesn't have any freezing temps between Dallas and Houston in the 5-10 day range.

Weatherman, how reliable is that forecast historically for the 7-10 day time period? Anyway you could look back to 83 or 89 and find out what temps were forecasted 10 days out from those cold blasts? Thanks.
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1466 Postby BigB0882 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Good question, snowman. I always hear that models tend to under-do the big cold blasts. I wonder how the models got it back in 83 and 89, as well. We do have to remember that models have come a long way since then.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1467 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:44 pm

To follow up on my post about November being the first in a decade below average for us, here is the idea on a map. Courtesy of JB on twitter.

Will December follow? CPC is going all on as far as their colors go, doesn't get any higher than that.

Dark days ahead for our resident heat miser
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1468 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:13 pm

And for verification here was the NOAA outlook for Nov, probably relying on the raging +AO (which did happen). It was a bad idea the coldest was where they had the warmest, they had Alaska right though!

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

richtrav
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#1469 Postby richtrav » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:29 pm

BigB0882 wrote:Good question, snowman. I always hear that models tend to under-do the big cold blasts. I wonder how the models got it back in 83 and 89, as well. We do have to remember that models have come a long way since then.

Models?! We don't need no stinkin' models! How about a big paper map, some blue pencils and a lot of slide rules (ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration)

Looking at some newspapers in '89, an article on Dec 20 in the Dallas Morning News (a Wednesday) predicted highs in the low 30s and lows in the mid teens for Friday and Saturday. The following day a more alarming article came out predicting a much more severe cold outbreak, with highs as cold as 12 on Friday with a low around 0 Saturday morning. This proved to be quite accurate but it didn't get published until the day before the front arrived.

Similar articles on the 21st in the Austin and Houston papers were also published about the severity of the upcoming cold wave. They were a couple of degrees too warm but got the general idea right.

If this was published on the 21st that means the NWS was sounding the alarm on the 20th, a whopping 2 days ahead of the front. To their credit, they did correctly predict that the upper air patterns would change dramatically after the cold outbreak with a warmup to follow.

So yeah, we've come a long ways.

As for the upcoming outbreak, the models have been predicting for days now a very cold outbreak for the NW US and it is looking more and more like that's going to happen in some form or fashion. What the computers are having more trouble with is where it goes after that. To me it looks a little far to the west to be the dreaded "Straight-Down-The-Front-Range-Blue-Norther-MOAF" event for TX but it's certainly worth monitoring. Will probably be cold, just nothing of biblical proportions (at least for us). The maps for Feb 2011 were a lot scarier, that I remember.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1470 Postby Ntxw » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Well I wasn't so sure before but I'm getting a better sense that the Arctic outbreak late week is part 1 in likely 2 or more. The latest EPO tank is resulting in a very cold air mass coming down that's been well advertised. And yet again the Pacific is going to lead the way for yet another tank. This tank will feature a yet even colder air mass originating from central and western Canada. Again dependent on the progression of the -EPO (rex block over Alaska). No shortage of cold air for December in the foreseeable future.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1471 Postby NDG » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:16 pm

:uarrow: CPC also had the FL peninsula right, I guess the negative EPO does not cool down the Peninsula's wx as much as the -AO & -NAO.
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1472 Postby Rgv20 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am

0zGFS forecasts high temperatures on Saturday and Sunday some 25-35 degrees Fahrenheit below normal for most of Texas! :cold:

Saturday

Sunday
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1473 Postby gpsnowman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 am

Another outage and another return! I'm not sure I can handle another one during the winter season. Cold air is coming and I am missing the updates. :cold: :cold: :cold:
What is the precip probability while the cold is here, if any?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#1474 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:19 am

Rgv20 wrote:0zGFS forecasts high temperatures on Saturday and Sunday some 25-35 degrees Fahrenheit below normal for most of Texas! :cold:

Along with that both GFS and Euro are showing snow and ice on the leading edge of the Arctic front through impulses. We'll have to fine tune as the models come this week.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#1475 Postby wxman22 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:20 am

0z GFS shows a Ice Storm across central, east Texas and Southeast Texas, that extends into the southeast U.S next weekend...
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1476 Postby wxman57 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 am

Next weekend is looking like a very cold and wet one. Strong front moves through by sunrise Friday (Houston) and the temperature falls through Sunday.

0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1477 Postby wxman57 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:49 am

GFS indicates a sub-freezing layer from the surface to about 3000 ft into Austin with quite a bit warmer air above there (sleet/freezing rain). GFS has the entire column below freezing over Dallas, but very little precip that far north.

0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#1478 Postby aggiecutter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 am

Freezing rain is back in the forecast for Texarkana on Friday and Friday night. Portastorm and his ice storms, he can have them.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1479 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:39 am

Shouldn't we be moving the discussion over to the winter thread now? Meteorological winter begins today and all forecast for winter is based on DJF. Fall is SON.

Portastorm wrote:SPECIAL MODERATOR NOTICE

We appreciate everyone keeping their comments/posts about this current weather event in the Texas Fall thread, despite the nature of the weather being (for us in Texas, at least) wintery! So let's do this ... after we conclude this current week and Thanksgiving holiday weekend, we'll move it on over to the Texas Winter 2013 thread. And it appears some have already done that!

Thanks everyone.

Here is a link to the Texas Winter thread:
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=114950&start=240
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1480 Postby wxman57 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:45 am

I still have 3 weeks of fall left before I have to concede to winter! ;-)
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”