Texas Fall 2013

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#1401 Postby orangeblood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:24 pm

BigB0882 wrote:Will that cold cold make it to the coast in that run?

Yes it did, an airmass of that magnitude will make it to the coast in some fashion but still too early to tell where the core of the cold will end up. Will it be directly down the front range of the Rockies into Texas or be pulled off to the midwest ? Should have a much better idea in a couple of days
0 likes   

JGrin87
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#1402 Postby JGrin87 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:39 pm

jerryh421 wrote:Well I got to see some sleet and snow today along with this rain we've all had. I have heard on the news that downtown Houston also received some snowflakes. Any information on that?

I can confirm. I work on Louisiana St. and saw them flying around. Also went downstairs and verified.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1403 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Yeah it almost looks like the polar vortex is sitting in the plains. That would be nuts. Well, we got something to look forward to and to speculate about. Would like to see the analogs for that monster
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1404 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Portastorm, I think it's time we migrate to the winter thread and begin locking this one. Nothing weather wise will occur between now and Dec 1st so we should be posting DJF weather in the winter thread, the coming arctic barrage will be December so lets go begin winter of 2013-2014 over there :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1405 Postby aggiecutter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Looking at the latest runs of the models, it looks to me like the front will become stationary just north of Austin. It'll probably be 25 and snowing in Round Rock and 65 and raining in SW Austin.

The above post and any post by aggiecutter is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster.
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#1406 Postby BigB0882 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:39 pm

aggiecutter wrote:

Looking at the latest runs of the models, it looks to me like the front will become stationary just north of Austin. It'll probably be 25 and snowing in Round Rock and 65 and raining in SW Austin.

The above post and any post by aggiecutter is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster.

LOL! Well, the good news is it is a long way out so I seriously doubt they have those details right at this point. May that front blow completely through to Mexico!
0 likes   

JGrin87
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1407 Postby JGrin87 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 am

aggiecutter wrote:

Why aren't you on Orangebloods anymore?
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#1408 Postby aggiecutter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 am

JGrin87 wrote:
aggiecutter wrote:

Why aren't you on Orangebloods anymore?

I'm on Hookem247 and have been for the last year.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#1409 Postby Portastorm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 am

Ntxw wrote:Portastorm, I think it's time we migrate to the winter thread and begin locking this one. Nothing weather wise will occur between now and Dec 1st so we should be posting DJF weather in the winter thread, the coming arctic barrage will be December so lets go begin winter of 2013-2014 over there :D

I'm not sure if you saw my note from earlier this week, but I wanted to wait through this holiday weekend and then close it. Folks can post in both threads for the next few days -- and it appears they already have -- but to avoid confusion from my earlier note, I'll going to stand pat.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1410 Postby Portastorm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:22 am

aggiecutter wrote:

Fine by me, buddy. I love the rain. Bring it! You can have the ice storm. :wink:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Fall 2013

#1411 Postby Portastorm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 am

SPECIAL MODERATOR NOTICE

We appreciate everyone keeping their comments/posts about this current weather event in the Texas Fall thread, despite the nature of the weather being (for us in Texas, at least) wintery! So let's do this ... after we conclude this current week and Thanksgiving holiday weekend, we'll move it on over to the Texas Winter 2013 thread. And it appears some have already done that!

Thanks everyone.

Here is a link to the Texas Winter thread:
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=114950&start=240
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1412 Postby Ntxw » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:39 am

Check your pm Ports
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1413 Postby orangeblood » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:59 am

Well it appears the dominate teleconnection/oscillation pattern over North America will continue to be the EPO the next couple of weeks. Just look at the off the chart negative EPO forecast by the GEFS, this will continue to feed Arctic Air into the pattern reinforcing the bitterly cold shot into the plains next week.

0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1414 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 am

Joe B tweets a moment ago that major cold is coming 12/5 to 12/15.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1415 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:43 am

He adds:

"@BigJoeBastardi: http://t.co/iyB2JWoY7i pointing out for over 10 days now, how this looks a bit like Dec 1983, tho not as extreme. GFS 12z going to it."

and

"@BigJoeBastardi: GFS run will probably send people scurrying"
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1416 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:44 am

And this...

"@BigJoeBastardi: GFS has temps close to 40 below normal in northern plains now morning Dec 8 huge area almost all US 8 or more below normal"
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1417 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Fort Worth NWS isn't buying it just yet (of course they WERE buying a major winter storm a few days ago :D ).

From the morning discussion:

"GUIDANCE IS THEN INCONSISTENT WITH THE HANDLING
OF THE LARGE TROUGH OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST...BUT THE 00Z GFS
SOLUTION IS ONE THAT WOULD FAVOR ANOTHER EARLY SEASON ARCTIC
INTRUSION JUST BEYOND THE CURRENT FORECAST CYCLE. THE ECMWF KEEPS
THE TROUGH CONFINED TO THE NORTHERN CONUS. THIS WOULD STILL SEND
IN A STRONG FRONT TO NORTH TEXAS...BUT THE COLDER ARCTIC AIR WOULD
BE SHUNTED EAST...DUE TO STRONG WESTERLIES IN THE SOUTHERN PLAINS."
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1418 Postby Portastorm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:25 pm

JB's partner Ryan Maue (@RyanMaue) has been tweeting in the last hour about how the 12z GFS op run has gone very cold and he is curious to see how the 12z Euro shapes up. The GFS did have this cold around 12/6-12/7 but seems to have backed off the last 6-8 cycle runs ... maybe it's coming back to that scenario. The Euro, however, has been consistent and bullish on the event.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1419 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:43 pm

It looks like the extreme brutal cold, much of it is drained over the Pacific. Doesnt look like the whole sha-bang comes down. After the big high comes down though it looks like a full latitude trough covers 3/4 of the US
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#1420 Postby orangeblood » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:It looks like the extreme brutal cold, much of it is drained over the Pacific. Doesnt look like the whole sha-bang comes down. After the big high comes down though it looks like a full latitude trough covers 3/4 of the US

At this time, This is why December 1983 is too extreme for this event, IMO. BUT if the negative EPO continues, funneling Arctic Air down into North America and the PNA pops positive then watch out, the whole thing could come crashing down into much of the country. Right now it should gradually drain south and southeast as we progress into late next week
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”