Texas Fall 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2019

#121 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 am

GFS showing some "hope"... beyond 300 hours :roll: not much rain though

fyi soon beyond 300 hours will be October...
0 likes   
#neversummer

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#122 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:01 am

Ntxw wrote:It's not just that the "storms" in itself is the causation/effect of hot and dry (for Texas) but the broader wave pattern as well as bigger forces at play.

When the Atlantic heats up in late summer/early Fall it is usually because of increase favor-ability for the Atlantic Ocean. This favor-ability is tied to atmospheric oscillations and ridge-trough configurations that are associated with La Nina or La Nina like tropical forcing. And we all know what a true Nina can do for droughts.

On the other hand some of the wettest Falls like 2009, 2015, 2018 are associated with big EPAC seasons, or El Nino like wave patterns.

All of this is just a result of where the background tropical upward forcing is. In late summer and early Fall the wavelengths are not yet short so when tropical forcing slows down in any one region, you can get prolonged dry periods and vice versa. So the Tropical systems are a symptom of an overall more broad, stuck, pattern.

Now when talking about decadal or multi-year wet/dry Texas patterns the PDO in the Pacific has a much larger role. The -PDO from about 2005-2013 yielded one of the driest periods in Texas history. Immediately those fortunes flipped from 2014-2018 with the PDO reversal with the massive El Nino.

To expand on this a bit, the correlation is not perfect...

2004 was a wet summer in NTX, but also a busy hurricane season (although the season was DEAD until the start of August)

2007 another wet summer and an above-average season with two Cat5s.

2018 was wet but featured Florence and Michael to our east.

2017 was wet before (and during) Harvey but dry after.

I do think we've seen lots of evidence that Atlantic hurricanes recurving tend to amplify the East Coast trough (or be symptoms of amplification) which gives us a stronger Central US ridge. We see it all the time after an East Coast or Eastern GOM storm. Sometimes before them if the storm is recurving with an already static pattern... definitely afterward

With 2007's wet summer we had two very strong low-latitude hurricanes that didn't recurve, and Erin and Humberto striking Texas thanks to our persistent trough over the Central US, but over by the East Coast it was abnormally quiet.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#123 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:36 am

somethingfunny wrote:
Ntxw wrote:It's not just that the "storms" in itself is the causation/effect of hot and dry (for Texas) but the broader wave pattern as well as bigger forces at play.

When the Atlantic heats up in late summer/early Fall it is usually because of increase favor-ability for the Atlantic Ocean. This favor-ability is tied to atmospheric oscillations and ridge-trough configurations that are associated with La Nina or La Nina like tropical forcing. And we all know what a true Nina can do for droughts.

On the other hand some of the wettest Falls like 2009, 2015, 2018 are associated with big EPAC seasons, or El Nino like wave patterns.

All of this is just a result of where the background tropical upward forcing is. In late summer and early Fall the wavelengths are not yet short so when tropical forcing slows down in any one region, you can get prolonged dry periods and vice versa. So the Tropical systems are a symptom of an overall more broad, stuck, pattern.

Now when talking about decadal or multi-year wet/dry Texas patterns the PDO in the Pacific has a much larger role. The -PDO from about 2005-2013 yielded one of the driest periods in Texas history. Immediately those fortunes flipped from 2014-2018 with the PDO reversal with the massive El Nino.

To expand on this a bit, the correlation is not perfect...

2004 was a wet summer in NTX, but also a busy hurricane season (although the season was DEAD until the start of August)

2007 another wet summer and an above-average season with two Cat5s.

2018 was wet but featured Florence and Michael to our east.

2017 was wet before (and during) Harvey but dry after.

I do think we've seen lots of evidence that Atlantic hurricanes recurving tend to amplify the East Coast trough (or be symptoms of amplification) which gives us a stronger Central US ridge. We see it all the time after an East Coast or Eastern GOM storm. Sometimes before them if the storm is recurving with an already static pattern... definitely afterward

With 2007's wet summer we had two very strong low-latitude hurricanes that didn't recurve, and Erin and Humberto striking Texas thanks to our persistent trough over the Central US, but over by the East Coast it was abnormally quiet.

To note though about 2004 and 2007 there is a caveat. 2004 was a September heavy month in terms of Hurricanes where the bulk of it happened in a short span. DFW barely got 1" of rain during that flurry of activity despite wet prior and after. With 2007 where the two Cat 5s were in August and litte activity before and after. Aug 2007 featured 0.35" of rain.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby rwfromkansas » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 am

What’s the PDO look like for fall/winter at this point, or is that iffy?
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#125 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 am

rwfromkansas wrote:What’s the PDO look like for fall/winter at this point, or is that iffy?

The Pacific remains in + territory for the most part and will remain. When it rains again, it will rain a lot. The dryness is short term related but annual and multi-year soils are doing well still.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby SoupBone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am

So what's keeping Texas protected from 95L? Mr. Death R. Idge?
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:54 am

Raining heavily at the office right now! Quite the spectacle around here.lol Hoping my house gets something.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Steam bath outside. Steam literally rose from the asphalt after lunch when we got a lull. Atmosphere rejuiced, development going on, just in time for rush hour. :D
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:57 pm

:double: :double:

This wet flip needs to hurry up

End of the Fort Worth AFD

DFW Airport has yet
to see a drop of rain this month; 2019 may join 2000 and 2017 as
one of the only years to have no measurable September rainfall
through the autumnal equinox.
0 likes   
#neversummer

BrokenGlass
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#130 Postby BrokenGlass » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Hope to our south? Radar shows this activity building northward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#131 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm

My parent's house finally won the rain lottery today in northwest SA! They haven't had much rain in months, but just today received almost 2 inches! Hopefully this is a sign that a wetter pattern will be returning to Texas soon. :D
3 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:32 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:My parent's house finally won the rain lottery today in northwest SA! They haven't had much rain in months, but just today received almost 2 inches! Hopefully this is a sign that a wetter pattern will be returning to Texas soon. :D

The GFS and Euro still look blah for rain.
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#133 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:My parent's house finally won the rain lottery today in northwest SA! They haven't had much rain in months, but just today received almost 2 inches! Hopefully this is a sign that a wetter pattern will be returning to Texas soon. :D

The GFS and Euro still look blah for rain.

Looks like our first cold front could arrive in about 10 days based on the latest Canadian, Euro, and GFS. This could bring us some decent rain chances, as long as there isn't a TC to our east...
1 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 pm

2nd day in a row that it rained at the Rain Cave. Recieved more rain in a 48 hour period than July and August combined.
3 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 pm

JDawg512 wrote:2nd day in a row that it rained at the Rain Cave. Recieved more rain in a 48 hour period than July and August combined.

That happened to me yesterday in 15 minutes lol
1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby Haris » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 pm

This time y'all won except me. Not a freaking drop. Was 100 again today. sigh... we need a widespread event. I havent seen a storm since July 8th.
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Haris wrote:This time y'all won except me. Not a freaking drop. Was 100 again today. sigh... we need a widespread event. I havent seen a storm since July 8th.

Sucks. I got less than yesterday. Less than 0.10" . Work got about 0.5". Guess we wait until next week. Ugh!
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby Brent » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 am

The Euro finally has a trough at the end of next week at least but the Atlantic to our east is very busy too
1 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#139 Postby Ntxw » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am

Brent wrote:The Euro finally has a trough at the end of next week at least but the Atlantic to our east is very busy too

Climo will win eventually :D
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby SoupBone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 am

Brent wrote:The Euro finally has a trough at the end of next week at least but the Atlantic to our east is very busy too

When the troughs arrive, Texas says "kitchen's closed" to tropical systems. Wishful thinking at least, but I do think are chances become greatly reduced as we start seeing these troughs and fronts swing down. Bring on the cool, I want to ride my bike and not sweat buckets!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”