No Tornadoes in the Continental U.S. for January 2003

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

No Tornadoes in the Continental U.S. for January 2003

#1 Postby Stormsfury » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:11 pm

For the first time since January 1986, there were no U.S. reported tornadoes.

Just 3 years prior in 1999 - a confirmed record 212 tornadoes touched down across the U.S. (Tornado statistics can be found at my website for 1950-1999).
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby wx247 » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:41 pm

After a twister nearly missing my house in December, I can't say I am sorry at the figures here. I hope we don't make up for it later in the year.

Garrett :eek:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Stormsfury » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:24 pm

In 1986, the overall tornado activity was below average that year. Most of the country on this year was in the grips of a major drought, and in the summer, a major heat wave.

A lot of people that remember 1986, particularly that summer, was one of the hottest summers on record. Charleston, SC suffered its worst heat wave for consistency. Looking back at some of the records, I believe that Charleston had 9 straight days over 100, the highest being 104 on July 19th and 20th, 1986. This was also combined with quite high humidities, with brought the heat indecies at time close to 120 - possibly higher. During the overnight hours offered no relief as sea breezes finally punched inland after dark, but it only served to hold the temperatures in the low to middle 80's for lows - July 20th, 1986 morning was unbearable.

January 1984 - 1 tornado occurred in the U.S., however, in March 1984 - The 28th proved very deadly for South Carolina and North Carolina as SC worst tornado outbreak occurred on this date. Tatum, SC - an F4 tornado (at one point - 2.5 miles wide), which later moved into NC (possibly becoming F5) - More details can be found at the severe weather section on my website. I will have more information soon on my website as I have found a publication earlier today with tornado specifics in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia.

Only time will tell what Mother Nature will ultimately bring this year ...
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#4 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:28 am

Feb shouldnt be too far off from Jan....but I really think March will be a bad one..I'm hoping not...but all the trends are there for volatile events.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Stormsfury » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:24 am

Looks like this month the SBJ is going to make a return with a vengeance starting with this storm system now exiting off the Mid Atlantic coast.

Definitely more active than what we had in January.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”