Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#1001 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri May 03, 2024 5:12 pm

Regarding the May 3, 1999 F5 tornado that struck Bridge Creek and Moore, Oklahoma, I watch this KFOR live coverage video from time to time. Horrible and fascinating all at the same time…

[Youtube] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppRelvfNb0[/Youtube]
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1002 Postby bubba hotep » Fri May 03, 2024 5:16 pm

txtwister78 wrote:Crazy....tornado has done a loop and is now headed NW back toward the direction where it formed. Hopefully that will weaken it as it gets cutoff from the inflow.

Devient Motion, my favorite
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1003 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri May 03, 2024 5:20 pm

Quite concerning since the tornado is “over” Robert Lee, a town of 1,049 people…

——————

Tornado Warning
National Weather Service San Angelo TX
510 PM CDT Fri May 3 2024

The National Weather Service in San Angelo has issued a

* Tornado Warning for... Central Coke County in west central Texas...

* Until 600 PM CDT.

* At 509 PM CDT, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado was located over Robert Lee, moving northwest at 15 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Weather spotters confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes, businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction is possible.

* The tornado will be near... Robert Lee and E.V. Spence Reservoir Near Paint Creek Recreation Area around 515 PM CDT. Sanco around 520 PM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include The Intersection Of Highway 208 And Ranch Road 2662 and The Intersection Of Highway 158 And Ranch Road 2059.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a large, extremely dangerous and potentially deadly tornado is on the ground. To protect your life, TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris.

Heavy rainfall may hide this tornado. Do not wait to see or hear the tornado. TAKE COVER NOW!

A large and extremely dangerous tornado is on the ground. Take immediate tornado precautions. This is an emergency situation.

&&

TIME...MOT...LOC 2209Z 134DEG 15KT 3187 10048

TORNADO...OBSERVED
TORNADO DAMAGE THREAT...CONSIDERABLE
MAX HAIL SIZE...2.75 IN
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1004 Postby Anti-freeze » Fri May 03, 2024 5:27 pm

Radar looked like that tornado near Robert Lee ("The dirt shall rise again"?) did a u-turn and headed back nw. A Benny Hill tornado track.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1005 Postby bubba hotep » Fri May 03, 2024 8:38 pm

Looks like some unplanned rain is moving into Ft Worth
0 likes   

mmmmsnouts
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1006 Postby mmmmsnouts » Fri May 03, 2024 8:54 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Looks like some unplanned rain is moving into Ft Worth

Another warned storm that was well outside of a watch box. It’s genuinely baffling how much rain forecasting in particular has fallen off over the years. I can’t figure it out because everyone has fallen off at the same rate. Bad data? Different models? Different forecasting method? Not adapting forecasts to a changing (warmer, more humid) climate?
1 likes   

Gotwood
Category 1
Category 1

#1007 Postby Gotwood » Fri May 03, 2024 11:51 pm

mmmmsnouts wrote:

Another warned storm that was well outside of a watch box. It’s genuinely baffling how much rain forecasting in particular has fallen off over the years. I can’t figure it out because everyone has fallen off at the same rate. Bad data? Different models? Different forecasting method? Not adapting forecasts to a changing (warmer, more humid) climate?

I was just having this same discussion earlier. I will assume it’s probably just putting too much emphasis on imperfect models. A lot of that is our own faults by following them lol.
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1008 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat May 04, 2024 9:13 am

mmmmsnouts wrote:

I think you might just be paying attention to it now, more than in the past. If you want to rag on the inconsistencies of the CAMs, I would probably agree, but forecasting of rain and severe weather has improved by every metric over the years.

The reason why we’re seeing warnings where they aren’t expected, deviant tornado motion, and stronger tornadoes than one would expect over the last few days is because because these are low forcing and high cape events. These storms are not being synoptically driven by sweeping storm systems like they were on 4/26 and 4/27, but are instead driven by mesoscale dynamics and favorable boundary interactions that are too small for even the higher resolution models to accurately depict. We are getting to the time of year where setups like this are more common, and often result in storm complexes that either survive a lot longer than expected, or fall apart unexpectedly, due to those smaller scale factors.

What’s unusual imo is that there have been so many favorable boundary interactions resulting in significant tornadoes over the past couple days (Loveland, Hawley, Robert Lee) that seem to exceed what the parameter space has to offer. Even the weak Joplin tornado the other day was weird because it was completely outside the tornado risk area if I remember correctly. There’s been a lot of chatter from mets on Twitter that these will serve as great case studies for further research
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1009 Postby bubba hotep » Sat May 04, 2024 9:31 am

Another wild day on tap for West Texas

1 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#1010 Postby txtwister78 » Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 am

Models beginning to lock in on some decent rainfall totals across a good chunk of South-Central Texas including SA metro overnight into Sunday afternoon. Need this one to hit before we go into what looks to be a mini dry spell next week.
3 likes   

Stratton23
Category 2
Category 2

#1011 Postby Stratton23 » Sat May 04, 2024 12:25 pm

After this weekends rain, id he fine with not seeing anymore rain for a few weeks , exceeded over 8 inches here, send the rest to central or west texas, se texas does not need anymore rain, unless you live at the coast
2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1012 Postby Ntxw » Sat May 04, 2024 12:29 pm

No major heat ridge on the horizon, yet. The past two years have featured near record heat in May.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1013 Postby vbhoutex » Sat May 04, 2024 12:29 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
mmmmsnouts wrote:

I think you might just be paying attention to it now, more than in the past. If you want to rag on the inconsistencies of the CAMs, I would probably agree, but forecasting of rain and severe weather has improved by every metric over the years.

The reason why we’re seeing warnings where they aren’t expected, deviant tornado motion, and stronger tornadoes than one would expect over the last few days is because because these are low forcing and high cape events. These storms are not being synoptically driven by sweeping storm systems like they were on 4/26 and 4/27, but are instead driven by mesoscale dynamics and favorable boundary interactions that are too small for even the higher resolution models to accurately depict. We are getting to the time of year where setups like this are more common, and often result in storm complexes that either survive a lot longer than expected, or fall apart unexpectedly, due to those smaller scale factors.

What’s unusual imo is that there have been so many favorable boundary interactions resulting in significant tornadoes over the past couple days (Loveland, Hawley, Robert Lee) that seem to exceed what the parameter space has to offer. Even the weak Joplin tornado the other day was weird because it was completely outside the tornado risk area if I remember correctly. There’s been a lot of chatter from mets on Twitter that these will serve as great case studies for further research

Thank you for the great explanation.
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1014 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat May 04, 2024 12:43 pm

Monday looks interesting but I'm not super concerned yet. The more potent environment should be further north up in KS but storm mode up there should go linear pretty quickly with the meridional flow. Further south in OK I think we could see some issues with capping/cloud cover since the stronger forcing is further north. Although if any sustained supercells do form there would be a strong tornado threat. Most guidance that I've seen doesn't have much for central OK so I'm a little surprised they expanded the enhanced risk that far south. We'll see what CAMs have later this evening though.

Subject to change of course
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1015 Postby bubba hotep » Sat May 04, 2024 1:14 pm

FWD expanded the flood watch to include all of the DFW metro area.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1016 Postby Cpv17 » Sat May 04, 2024 1:58 pm

Stratton23 wrote:After this weekends rain, id he fine with not seeing anymore rain for a few weeks , exceeded over 8 inches here, send the rest to central or west texas, se texas does not need anymore rain, unless you live at the coast

I’ve only had .10” and I don’t live along the coast… several other areas in southeast Texas have barely had anything.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1017 Postby Cpv17 » Sat May 04, 2024 2:00 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:Monday looks interesting but I'm not super concerned yet. The more potent environment should be further north up in KS but storm mode up there should go linear pretty quickly with the meridional flow. Further south in OK I think we could see some issues with capping/cloud cover since the stronger forcing is further north. Although if any sustained supercells do form there would be a strong tornado threat. Most guidance that I've seen doesn't have much for central OK so I'm a little surprised they expanded the enhanced risk that far south. We'll see what CAMs have later this evening though.

Ryan Hall and POW Ponder on YouTube thinks this has more potential than anything we’ve seen yet.
0 likes   

Stratton23
Category 2
Category 2

#1018 Postby Stratton23 » Sat May 04, 2024 2:10 pm

Cpv17 if i could send the rain you’re way i definitely would! Everything is so water logged here, the ground cant take much more here for flooding at least on a minor scale, still concerning to see some areas pick up over 2 feet of rain from a non tropical system, definitely makes me at least a little worried of what could come potentially during what looks to be a very busy hurricane season
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1019 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat May 04, 2024 2:11 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:Monday looks interesting but I'm not super concerned yet. The more potent environment should be further north up in KS but storm mode up there should go linear pretty quickly with the meridional flow. Further south in OK I think we could see some issues with capping/cloud cover since the stronger forcing is further north. Although if any sustained supercells do form there would be a strong tornado threat. Most guidance that I've seen doesn't have much for central OK so I'm a little surprised they expanded the enhanced risk that far south. We'll see what CAMs have later this evening though.

Ryan Hall and POW Ponder on YouTube thinks this has more potential than anything we’ve seen yet.

I think Tuesday and Wednesday could be pretty big but I'm a little iffy on Monday for now. Could change of course
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1020 Postby rwfromkansas » Sat May 04, 2024 4:06 pm

bubba hotep wrote:FWD expanded the flood watch to include all of the DFW metro area.

Is tonight’s rain still supposed to be south of DFW?

Their updated graphic only shows .50-1.00 total for most of DFW.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”