First 0F of the season

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

First 0F of the season

#1 Postby Scott Patterson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Yesterday (November 4) was the first 0F I recorded of the season.

Officially it got down to 1F today.

0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: First 0F of the season

#2 Postby ravyrn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 pm

My friends who live in SW Colorado spend the winters in their cabin in the La Plata mountains. The elevation there is about 9,000 and it is on a lot within a square mile private property island (old homestead) in the middle of the San Juan Natl Forest. No phone lines or power up there. No clue how they put up with it. I can't even begin to fathom how much firewood they must have to gather because even during the summer you need to keep a fire going during the evening and mornings. Once fall comes around it's pretty much nonstop. They have to snowmobile in and out to the border of the forest to some of their friends who let them keep their vehicle on their property, since the Forest Roads don't get snow plowed.

What do you do to heat your home? Electric or wood stove?

I think it'd be pretty neat to spend a winter up there, but I'm sure I may get tired of it after the first winter, or maybe even halfway in. My stepdad and his brother spent a winter up on the mountain building a cabin, and they said by the time they walked from their cabin to the one they were working on (about 100 yards) his canned drink would already be frozen by the time he got there if he didn't keep it in an insulated container.
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

Re: First 0F of the season

#3 Postby Scott Patterson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 pm

What do you do to heat your home? Electric or wood stove?

Just normal natural gas furnace. Our home is well insulated, so our heating bill isn't as high as might be expected.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”