Frick & Frack's Snowfall Thread

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Frick & Frack's Snowfall Thread

#1 Postby CajunMama » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:20 pm

Sigh.....our snow thread from last year is gone..*poof*...into the never ending regions of cyberspace. :blowup: So what to do? Make another one of course!

Anyone dare to make a prediction for Lafayette and Beaumont? We've been good this year and hope Santa will reward us with some snow!!! :thermo: :froze: :yow:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby southerngale » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:48 pm

Where did it go? :think:

Oh well. Anyway, yeah...let's hear those predictions for the deep south, particularly Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana. Those who predicted no snow for us last year were indeed correct, although it reached a county or two away from me. This year, we're hoping the ones who predict SNOW are the correct ones. :craz:
0 likes   

wxguy25
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby wxguy25 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:42 pm

Reward you with some snow...I think I can. :D

I would give Kelly a 75-80% shot at snow. 50-60% for you and Lafayette CM.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Stormsfury » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:57 pm

A few more innings and the Boston Red Sox will have done the impossible ... why not some snow this year? ... :D

GO RED SOX!

SF
0 likes   

Yankeegirl
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Yankeegirl » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:31 pm

I would like some snow this year too.. Im in Houston... What do you all think? We gonna get some cold winter weather this year?
0 likes   

Anonymous

#6 Postby Anonymous » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:50 am

My latest projections are that the area around North Central/Northeast Fla will get the southern snow shovel award this year as an intense low pressure (960 MB or lower) crosses the state from near Yankeetown to St Augustine dumping a swath of 12-18" amounts from near Cross City to Fernandina in frigid Arctic Air with Highs in N Fla in the upper 20s. Around Christmas (give or take 2months) as Tx/La gets a mild foggy/rainy winter with no freezing temps nevermind snow ;) Sorry, its Florida's year we we get it all this year and dont share :D
0 likes   

wxguy25
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby wxguy25 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:09 pm

Jekyhe32210 wrote:My latest projections are that the area around North Central/Northeast Fla will get the southern snow shovel award this year as an intense low pressure (960 MB or lower) crosses the state from near Yankeetown to St Augustine dumping a swath of 12-18" amounts from near Cross City to Fernandina in frigid Arctic Air with Highs in N Fla in the upper 20s. Around Christmas (give or take 2months) as Tx/La gets a mild foggy/rainy winter with no freezing temps nevermind snow ;) Sorry, its Florida's year we we get it all this year and dont share :D

Do I detect some WISHCASTING???? LOL :lol:

Jek...I think its FAR...FAR more likely that Bill clintion will refuse a free piece of a$$ from Brooke Burke than it is for those of us in central or northeast FL to see 12-18" of snow this year. Muchless from one storm. :D

I'd be up for it, but you would want the Sub 960mb low to cross the state further south--say St. petersburg to Edgewater, that way the deformation zone would take shape over the Northern Pinninsula and extreme SE GA.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#8 Postby Anonymous » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:08 pm

wxguy25 wrote:
Jekyhe32210 wrote:My latest projections are that the area around North Central/Northeast Fla will get the southern snow shovel award this year as an intense low pressure (960 MB or lower) crosses the state from near Yankeetown to St Augustine dumping a swath of 12-18" amounts from near Cross City to Fernandina in frigid Arctic Air with Highs in N Fla in the upper 20s. Around Christmas (give or take 2months) as Tx/La gets a mild foggy/rainy winter with no freezing temps nevermind snow ;) Sorry, its Florida's year we we get it all this year and dont share :D

Do I detect some WISHCASTING???? LOL :lol:

Jek...I think its FAR...FAR more likely that Bill clintion will refuse a free piece of a$$ from Brooke Burke than it is for those of us in central or northeast FL to see 12-18" of snow this year. Muchless from one storm. :D

I'd be up for it, but you would want the Sub 960mb low to cross the state further south--say St. petersburg to Edgewater, that way the deformation zone would take shape over the Northern Pinninsula and extreme SE GA.

WhishWHAT??? LOL not me :na:
I was Just thinking Superstorm '93 tracked from around Tallahassee to Savannah and was probably 960mb--Of course snow fell in SW Ga. Probably not too many low pressures that strong in the gulf in the Winter huh.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Stormsfury » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:30 pm

The superstorm of 1993 started as an intense baroclinic leaf over SE TX and formed the strong low in the W GOM, deepening rapidly over the GOM, and became a classic Miller A system ... what's so unusual and very rare in regards to the Superstorm, that is was a triple phased storm ... pieces from the SBJ, PJ, and the AJ all came together to a point to induce phasing from all three branches of the various jet streams ...

When the storm hooked NE into SE GA and into South Carolina, the storm was still intensifying but the pressure at that time was around 977 MB ... outside of tropical systems, extratropical storms simply do not have extremely steep pressures that far south ... (the superstorm is the lowest pressure I've seen for so far south outside of a tropical system) ...

The last JAX measurable snow, I believe still stands from the 1989 Christmas storm where 1"-3" of snow fell around the JAX area ...

SF
0 likes   

wxguy25
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby wxguy25 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:48 pm

Adding to that, the March 1993 superstorm synoptically was made possible by what’s known as a two wave pattern which allowed all the energy to become focused in one place leading to the three stream phasing.

0z MAR 12 1993
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_ ... m=&dd=&hh=

0z MAR 13 1993

0z MAR 14 1993

Notice there are two predominant and high amplitude troughs, one over Asia and the other over North America. This is a VERY RARE synoptic set-up but can lead to big things such as the 1993 superstorm.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby PTrackerLA » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:55 pm

Well since 2000 Lafayette has experienced two snowfall events (which both occured in consecutive years on new years eve/new years day! How amazing is that?) Anyway it's been 2 years since we've seen any and with the weather being so wacky this year I wouldn't be surprised to see snow this year and/or ice storm.
0 likes   

Wnghs2007
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Wnghs2007 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:14 pm

LOL. It would be nice up here in North Georgia to get lucky and see a big snowfall event up here. I thirst for that to happen. But, I know it is not likely. Luckily for me I am still in the least developed part of gwinnett county so temp average a good bit cooler by 2-4 degrees from lawrencville about 10 miles away. Which allows me to get more snow than most around these parts.

Oh but I also thirst for a wicked ice storm too. I love the feeling of a raw east wind from a 1030+ high driving a wedge down the appalachians. (SF is the king of these situations). And I love to go out and watch my temp gauge drop and to go over to the rain over on the fence and feel little chunks of ice starting to form. And then finally when it gets cold enough the rain starts to freeze instantly on higher objects and if it gets cold enough the roads.

The Y2k January 2000 Icestorm was awsome. I dont know how much freezing rain fell that night. But it was enough to take down power lines all around the house and to go outside and every few minutes here trees fall. My funniest moment was when I was walking across the street to my grandparents house and slipped and fell on a water hose and landed on my butt hard. That was the greatest.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby CajunMama » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:34 pm

Snow???? Possible snow for Frick & Frack?????? :cheesy:
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby therock1811 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:59 pm

CajunMama wrote:Snow???? Possible snow for Frick & Frack?????? :cheesy:

If the map from cctxhurricanewatcher is correct, maybe in 276 hours. But, it's WAY too early for that kind of call.
0 likes   

Scorpion

#15 Postby Scorpion » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:12 pm

What are the chances of seeing snow/ice/sleet/freezing rain down here?? .00001 % ? :D . I really hope it happens though. This looks like the year it could.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#16 Postby southerngale » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:43 pm

Accuweather says a chance for snow on Christmas Eve - I think I'll ask Santa for snow and a sled!

Pretty please Santa! I've been good most of the year. Everything else I can explain... :oops:
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#17 Postby BreinLa » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:49 pm

Yep accuweather does and so does intellicast and weather.com for what its worth, Let it Snow Let it snow Let it Snow, oh and CajunMama you must take pictures for me of my house while I am away and there is snow on the ground
0 likes   

JenyEliza
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby JenyEliza » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:28 pm

Scorpion wrote:What are the chances of seeing snow/ice/sleet/freezing rain down here?? .00001 % ? :D . I really hope it happens though. This looks like the year it could.

Probably about the SAME odds as 4 major hurricanes striking FL within 8 weeks, with 3 of them crossing paths at the exact same point on the map! ;)

Jen
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#19 Postby CajunMama » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:16 am

Gotcha covered Bre....thank goodness for digital cameras! Heck, I'll even build you a snowman!
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#20 Postby southerngale » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:00 pm

February 13th already - I wonder what the second half of February will bring us down here. Hopefully some snow!

Frack ain't got jack!
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”