Warm in the East?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Tip
Category 1
Category 1

Warm in the East?

#1 Postby Tip » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:11 am

Both the European and American models (EC and GFS) are showing a strong upper level ridge over the southeast at day 10. If this verifies, the first half of Novemeber should be warm in the East.

http://www.sca.uqam.ca/models/ecmwf_ame ... 9panel.gif

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... 0_240s.gif
0 likes   

Stormchaser16
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Stormchaser16 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:56 am

It is very likely, but again, this is likely just a short term variation in the longer term pattern which favors a trough in the east. Currently in support of a warm November would be the analogs for one, and two, we are seeing the breakdown of the ridge in the west. The pattern for the last year has favored a trough in the east, and there is nothing major to suggest that the longer scale pattern will change that.
0 likes   

donsutherland1
S2K Analyst
S2K Analyst

Re: Warm in the East?

#3 Postby donsutherland1 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:03 am

The computer guidance is looking pretty good on this when one considers teleconnections and the evolving synoptic situation. Teleconnections argue for just such ridging to develop downstream in response to the Pacific trough that is likely around that time (PNA is likely to go negative around or near November 1 and hold there for at least 6-10 days).

At the same time, the NAO is likely to go positive around the 1st as well, something that the GFS and Ensembles have now caught onto in the past few days.

Consequently, it's probably a pretty good bet that readings will average above normal in the East during the November 1-15 period.

Where some questions exist is whether the warmth persists into at least part of the second half of the month, when or if there could be a reversal to below normal readings.

I'm not yet ready to commit to early ideas that I'm examining for the second half of November, so I'll leave it as Stephanie did in another post with regard to that timeframe: "stay tuned."

For now, there's plenty of excitement even if the pattern is breaking for the warmer i.e., the big rainstorm that will soak the eastern third of the USA Monday, possible snowstorm for parts of the Rockies later this week, etc.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Stephanie » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:33 am

It'll be good to see the snow pack building in the Rockies. I think that the snow was supposed to affect even Montana where it is also very dry.

Stay tuned... :lol:
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby JCT777 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:35 pm

Yes, it does look like the next several weeks (at least) will have above normal temps in the Eastern U.S. This is fine by me, so long as it does not last beyond mid-December. By then, I will want cold and snow. 8-)
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”