3D Radar ?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
wxid
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

3D Radar ?

#1 Postby wxid » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:37 pm

Anyone know of any 3D weather radar sites or programs allowing one to view the cloud level viewpoint (as opposed to high orbit view) like some mets use on TV-News WX ?
thanks,
wxid
0 likes   

VanceWxMan

#2 Postby VanceWxMan » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:43 am

not unless you have a few thousand dollars :( they use high dollar rendering programs. There may be a few links on the web that have this type of product but I have not seen it.

Aaron
0 likes   

mathias1979
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby mathias1979 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:55 am

Just curious why you are wanting such a product? I personally can't stand seeing it on local news. It's very deceiving. In my opinion its only useful for wowing the average veiwer with dramatic effect. But perhaps I am missing something?

-Matt
0 likes   

Anonymous

I dont think this is exactly what ur looking 4 but...

#4 Postby Anonymous » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:16 am

Here are 2 good programs that auto-download radar for easy view. the one with the "prettiest" view would be the first link-but i prefer the 2nd one from interwarn "stormlab". Hope this is useful.

http://www.stormpredator.com/

http://www.interwarn.com/
0 likes   

wxid
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby wxid » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:38 am

Cool , thanks!
wxid
0 likes   

wxid
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby wxid » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:37 pm

mathias1979 wrote:Just curious why you are wanting such a product? I personally can't stand seeing it on local news. It's very deceiving. In my opinion its only useful for wowing the average veiwer with dramatic effect. But perhaps I am missing something?

-Matt

Matt, no your not missing anything, i'm just a weirdo! Different strokes i guess. take care,
wxid
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#7 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:00 pm

mathias1979 wrote:Just curious why you are wanting such a product? I personally can't stand seeing it on local news. It's very deceiving. In my opinion its only useful for wowing the average veiwer with dramatic effect. But perhaps I am missing something?

-Matt

What is the "downfall" with 3D radars?
0 likes   

roarusdogus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby roarusdogus » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:02 pm

ColdFront77 wrote:

-Matt

What is the "downfall" with 3D radars?

I don't know if there is a downfall, it's just a matter of the 3D not being useful other than to make it pretty for viewers of the evening news.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#9 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:18 pm

I used "downfall" for lack of a better word.

The useful thing with a 3D radar is to indicate landmarks, instead of just showing where (towns) and cities are located.
0 likes   

mathias1979
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#10 Postby mathias1979 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:32 am

I just don't like it because it makes it a bit more difficult to determine where exactly the edges of precipitation are, just because of the projections they use on the news. Also, with the ones I've seen, you don't get as much areal coverage. If you live more than 40 miles from where the view is centered, it's really pointless. And like roardog said, it's really no more useful than normal radars, but it costs more money to use. But my only experience has been with those I've seen on the news, I didn't go an check out either of those links. But that's just my opinion, others may disagree.

-Matt
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#11 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:20 pm

Sure the "convectional radars" are good enough, especially the doppler radar used by some local stations.

The 3D radars serve a purpose. Nice to have 'fancy graphics,' too. :)

For the record, all three Orlando area stations have doppler radar. I believe only one Boston affiliate and one Providence(-New Bedford) affiliate has a doppler radar system.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”