Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#4681 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Well, how about that? :eek: :cold:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX

349 PM CDT SUN MAR 24 2013

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FOR THE HILL COUNTRY AND LOW LYING

AREAS ALONG THE ESCARPMENT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM CDT MONDAY...

.A COLD SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE WITH WELL BELOW AVERAGE TEMPERATURES

WILL SETTLE INTO SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS TONIGHT. NEARLY EFFICIENT

RADIATIONAL COOLING DUE TO MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES...RAPIDLY DECREASING

NOCTURNAL WINDS AND LOW DEWPOINTS WINDS...IS EXPECTED TONIGHT.

FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED IN MUCH OF THE HILL COUNTRY

WITH A FEW SPOTS HAVING A HARD FREEZE. ALONG THE ESCARPMENT AND

ALONG THE I-35 AND HIGHWAY 90 CORRIDORS...SOME LOW LYING SPOTS

WILL BE NEAR OR SLIGHTLY BELOW FREEZING.

TXZ171>173-184>192-203>206-250900-

/O.NEW.KEWX.FZ.W.0001.130325T0800Z-130325T1500Z/

LLANO-BURNET-WILLIAMSON-EDWARDS-REAL-KERR-BANDERA-GILLESPIE-

KENDALL-BLANCO-HAYS-TRAVIS-UVALDE-MEDINA-BEXAR-COMAL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LLANO...BURNET...GEORGETOWN...

ROCKSPRINGS...LEAKEY...KERRVILLE...BANDERA...FREDERICKSBURG...

BOERNE...BLANCO...SAN MARCOS...AUSTIN...UVALDE...HONDO...

SAN ANTONIO...NEW BRAUNFELS

349 PM CDT SUN MAR 24 2013

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM CDT MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO HAS ISSUED A

FREEZE WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM CDT

MONDAY.

* TEMPERATURE...LOWS 26 TO 31 DEGREES

* IMPACTS...THE COLD TEMPERATURES WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO TENDER

PLANTS AND VEGETATION THAT MAY HAVE BEEN PLANTED DURING THE

EARLIER WARM WEATHER.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR

HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER

SENSITIVE VEGETATION.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4682 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:23 pm

What are the odds of freezing in Arlington? I just saw this ? at the gardening site I belong to.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#4683 Postby gboudx » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:39 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:What are the odds of freezing in Arlington? I just saw this ? at the gardening site I belong to.

Odds look good. Forecasted low tonight is 32 and 30 tomorrow night.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4684 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 pm

TY I'll post that in her thread. She prolly has seen that forecast and is praying it isn't going to be right.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4685 Postby Ntxw » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Yeah unless they live in the urban cores of two big cities (32-33), it's likely to be 32 or below. Tomorrow night everyone will probably be 32 or lower since there won't be any wind. (Austin metro area same scenario)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4686 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Thank you again.....I just passed both messages on since a large number of (addicted to many, many plants) Texas gardeners belong to that site.
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4687 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 am

So Tireman did you laugh your tookus off this am?

(posting this 8 hours in advance as I am really curious as to what temps you folks dropped down to).
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#4688 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 am

Here's a good link to check temps across the U.S. Just click one of the sections with the 3-letter identifier and the map will show temps in red. Numbers in green are dew point temps. Upper 20s in the Dallas/Arlington area this morning. Upper 30s down here in Houston.

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4689 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:43 am

Well I had to wake up early to see if the Old Man managed it and he did! Freezing temps are showing in a lot of Texas! :eek:

Thank you for the link! So many are going to wake up surprised down there. What time is it in Houston Wxman?

Do you have your winter clothes ready? :cheesy:

Now that even sounds strange to me.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4690 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 am

Tomorrow morning's freeze should the worst of it. Duration will be longer than this morning then it's a good go aside from outlying areas on Weds. Mentioned this in the spring thread, warming up for wxman later this week and into a wetter pattern. Can't discount an April frost for some places as the AO remains negative and far north still well below normal, but gardening season should be able to get going full force soon.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4691 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 am

will be copying and pasting your reply in the Texas gardening forum.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4692 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Please, please, please what is your crystal ball saying for temps up here for however far out it goes?

I'm seeing reports of British Columbia and some parts of Alberta really warming up but the news doesn't seem as hopeful for here.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#4693 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Ntxw wrote:Tomorrow morning's freeze should the worst of it. Duration will be longer than this morning then it's a good go aside from outlying areas on Weds. Mentioned this in the spring thread, warming up for wxman later this week and into a wetter pattern. Can't discount an April frost for some places as the AO remains negative and far north still well below normal, but gardening season should be able to get going full force soon.

Got down to 27 last night here in Denison/Sherman. Freezing temps from just before 2 a.m. until 9 a.m. this morning. Good, hard freeze for sure coming up again tonight.

Weekend was pretty chilly too. Saturday it was in the low to mid 40s and we got a blustery rain that amouted to about 6/10 of an inch. Perfect bike riding weather! :)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#4694 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:12 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Please, please, please what is your crystal ball saying for temps up here for however far out it goes?

I'm seeing reports of British Columbia and some parts of Alberta really warming up but the news doesn't seem as hopeful for here.

Blocking from eastern Canada is retrograding into the -EPO. During the transition you may see a short period of "less frigid" conditions but CFSv2 and most guidance sends more cold air down from the Arctic into Saskatchewan and the prairies east of the Rockies for the next 2-4 weeks.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4695 Postby dhweather » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Well, 7-ish Saturday morning, we had a huge cell go just south of us, then midnight-ish we has another move through Dallas and went just north of us. I got a grand total of .07 rain from the event. :cry:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#4696 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:14 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Well I had to wake up early to see if the Old Man managed it and he did! Freezing temps are showing in a lot of Texas! :eek:

Thank you for the link! So many are going to wake up surprised down there. What time is it in Houston Wxman?

I'm in New Orleans at the National Hurricane Conference this week. After seeing your video of the southerly winds there I made a video of the strong northerly winds in Houston. Haven't uploaded it. It shows 15-25 mph winds blowing through my pink-flowered azaleas (in full bloom) and wind rustling through the branches of our fully-leaved-out trees in our green lawn. Temperature was a quite blustery 55 to 60F (12-15C). Brrrr!
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

Re: Re:

#4697 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 pm

quote="Ntxw"]
SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Please, please, please what is your crystal ball saying for temps up here for however far out it goes?

Blocking from eastern Canada is retrograding into the -EPO. During the transition you may see a short period of "less frigid" conditions but CFSv2 and most guidance sends more cold air down from the Arctic into Saskatchewan and the prairies east of the Rockies for the next 2-4 weeks.

Image[/quote]

Thank you Ntxw! As much as I am tired of this snow I sure didn't want to see real warm up here. Hopefully those less frigid conditions will start and continue our melt nice and slow.

wxman57 wrote:
SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Well I had to wake up early to see if the Old Man managed it and he did! Freezing temps are showing in a lot of Texas! :eek:

I'm in New Orleans at the National Hurricane Conference this week. After seeing your video of the southerly winds there I made a video of the strong northerly winds in Houston. Haven't uploaded it. It shows 15-25 mph winds blowing through my pink-flowered azaleas (in full bloom) and wind rustling through the branches of our fully-leaved-out trees in our green lawn. Temperature was a quite blustery 55 to 60F (12-15C). Brrrr!

(((((Wxman57))))) :roll: However I am looking forward to seeing your pretty flowers. :wink:
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4698 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Ryan Maude just posted a pic from his twitter of temps 46F BELOW normal in West Texas 176 hours out. I cant save the pic for some reason from my mac..... If someone can post that, would be great. Looks like another 'Arctic' dump is headed our way. Im actually sick of the cold now.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#4699 Postby Portastorm » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 pm

I posted a comment in the Spring thread about it. While it is technically winter-like weather, we are in Spring per the calendar. Go figure! :lol:

Here is the 12z GFS at 180 hours, the 850mb temp anamolies:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4700 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah its difficult to keep with where people post on the forum, it shows some winter precip for some areas. Nothing bananas but its not bad for April. What year was it when it snowed Easter weekend? 2006? Want to compare the patterns.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Winter Weather”