Texas Winter 2019-2020

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#101 Postby Cerlin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:47 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Final December outlook issued yesterday by CPC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKt7rMKW4AE8XPk?format=jpg&name=small

Not ideal to say the least.
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#102 Postby Brent » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:Final December outlook issued yesterday by CPC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKt7rMKW4AE8XPk?format=jpg&name=small
above average temps?

The first half is certainly looking that way at least

The better pattern keeps getting delayed
0 likes   
#neversummer

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby EnnisTx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:44 pm

Texas Snow wrote:Welcome to Meteorological Winter!

With meteorological winter now officially upon here and fall thread subsequently closing, I’m going to buck the trends of naysayers and go all in on DFW winter 19/20.

For every inch of snow recorded at my house this winter (and I’ll throw in Spring for fun) I’ll donate $10 to storm2k for the inevitable fun I will have on here, no limit. I’ll even count sleet just because I love winter weather.

Just a few years back (ok maybe a couple more) that would be 200 bucks. I think the drought ends this year and we return to a snowy pattern. Let’s have some fun shall we?!?!?!

Come on now, don't be scared. Go all out and up that to $100 bucks per inch....
1 likes   

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#104 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:57 pm

I think December's are usually warm in weak niños and neutral patterns. I think the million dollar question is when does the mjo emerge in the colder phases for us, if at all? Not sure even about a timeline. I want a pattern that is setup for cold and snow. Its fun to track systems in our area.
1 likes   

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#105 Postby harp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:15 pm

hamburgerman7070 wrote:I think December's are usually warm in weak niños and neutral patterns. I think the million dollar question is when does the mjo emerge in the colder phases for us, if at all? Not sure even about a timeline. I want a pattern that is setup for cold and snow. Its fun to track systems in our area.

Well, you would think this pattern can't last forever. Something has to give. The question is, when?
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby Brent » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 pm

harp wrote:
hamburgerman7070 wrote:I think December's are usually warm in weak niños and neutral patterns. I think the million dollar question is when does the mjo emerge in the colder phases for us, if at all? Not sure even about a timeline. I want a pattern that is setup for cold and snow. Its fun to track systems in our area.

Well, you would think this pattern can't last forever. Something has to give. The question is, when?

To be fair I've been here since 2014 and have yet to see any snow in December

I know our best month is February but I hope we're not waiting and then it yet again doesn't happen and well it's practically spring
0 likes   
#neversummer

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#107 Postby Quixotic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm

Brent wrote:
harp wrote:

To be fair I've been here since 2014 and have yet to see any snow in December

I know our best month is February but I hope we're not waiting and then it yet again doesn't happen and well it's practically spring

2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 are the most recent I can recall. Might not be an official one but we had December events locally those years.
1 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby Cerlin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 pm

I mean we’re due right? It’s gotta happen soon right? There’s no way we can have another snowless winter...right...? :eek: :roll:

In all seriousness, the first two weeks of December being mild don’t stress me out and, thankfully, it doesn’t look warm like it has in years prior. I keep thinking of December 11-14th as a turning point for us as our source region looks cold and some arctic shots are starting to come through more often on the long range models. The ridge that is setting itself up is being broken down by around that time and allowing some troughs to make its way towards us. This doesn’t mean anything right now and I could be reading this all wrong as I know next to nothing, but I’m not worried yet.

And hey, hopefully we can get a nice bowling ball low mixed in with some chilly temperatures to bring a winter wonderland to all of Texas in the final weeks of the decade!
4 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby Brent » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 pm

Cerlin wrote:I mean we’re due right? It’s gotta happen soon right? There’s no way we can have another snowless winter...right...? :eek: :roll:

In all seriousness, the first two weeks of December being mild don’t stress me out and, thankfully, it doesn’t look warm like it has in years prior. I keep thinking of December 11-14th as a turning point for us as our source region looks cold and some arctic shots are starting to come through more often on the long range models. The ridge that is setting itself up is being broken down by around that time and allowing some troughs to make its way towards us. This doesn’t mean anything right now and I could be reading this all wrong as I know next to nothing, but I’m not worried yet.

And hey, hopefully we can get a nice bowling ball low mixed in with some chilly temperatures to bring a winter wonderland to all of Texas in the final weeks of the decade!

I would like to think we're due but we were due last year... and the year before. It just makes me want to give up honestly. I hope we can break the trend and have a good winter but I'll probably have to see it to believe it after so many signs and setups failed before. I'm tired of having to go on vacation to see snow too, been thinking seriously about moving more north next year.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby Cerlin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 am

Brent wrote:
Cerlin wrote:I mean we’re due right? It’s gotta happen soon right? There’s no way we can have another snowless winter...right...? :eek: :roll:

I would like to think we're due but we were due last year... and the year before. It just makes me want to give up honestly. I hope we can break the trend and have a good winter but I'll probably have to see it to believe it after so many signs and setups failed before. I'm tired of having to go on vacation to see snow too, been thinking seriously about moving more north next year.

Yeah, it’s so defeating. I’ve all but given up on looking at any outlooks and long range forecasts this year. I don’t trust anything!
2 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:25 am

Update prepared by: Climate Prediction Center / NCEP
2nd of December 2019

ENSO-neutral conditions are present.*

Equatorial sea surface temperatures (SSTs) are near-to-above average across
much of the Pacific Ocean. The pattern of anomalous convection and winds are generally consistent with ENSO-neutral.
ENSO-neutral is favored during the Northern Hemisphere winter 2019-20 (~70% chance), continuing through spring 2020 (60 to 65% chance).*

The latest weekly SST departures are:
Niño 4 - 0.8ºC
Niño 3.4 - 0.4ºC
Niño 3 - 0.4ºC
Niño 1+2 - 0.4ºC

I'm not buying into any long rang forecast either, anything outside of 7 days is pure luck. With that said I expect December to be near average both in terms of Temps & Precip.

November closed out -3.1 (53.5F) monthly mean, monthly precip was -0.91" (1.80")
1 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:25 pm

I saw flurries and a dusting while I was in Kansas, but I didn't drive to NE to see the big stuff like I dreamed about. It is already a six-hour drive up there from DFW. Couldn't bear another three hours.

Hopefully this is just a cyclical warmer period and will come back around mid-to-late December. If so, it would definitely bring some credibility to recurring cycle ideas.
1 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#113 Postby Portastorm » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm

We really need some rain in the Austin area. Been very dry the last few months. Unfortunately both the GFS and Euro look dry the next two weeks.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#114 Postby wxman57 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:01 pm

I've added an additional 2000 ft to my wall along the Canadian border. Seems to be working. Still, some cool air is slipping south into Texas at times. Might have to extend my wall southward just east of the Rockies...
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Portastorm wrote:We really need some rain in the Austin area. Been very dry the last few months. Unfortunately both the GFS and Euro look dry the next two weeks.

The CPC has us in the below normal precipitation for the whole winter.
2 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#116 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm

wxman57 wrote:I've added an additional 2000 ft to my wall along the Canadian border. Seems to be working. Still, some cool air is slipping south into Texas at times. Might have to extend my wall southward just east of the Rockies...

When 57 feels threatened he builds more wall. Perhaps his Jedi senses are picking up a pattern change in the future. Hmmmmm.
5 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Portastorm wrote:We really need some rain in the Austin area. Been very dry the last few months. Unfortunately both the GFS and Euro look dry the next two weeks.

I've noticed that too. We've had these drizzly/misty events that filth up the cars and do nothing for the soils. I turned on my water Saturday while it was foggy and misting/light raining because my yard soils were dry, and knowing that sunny, breezy, cool weather (evaporation) would prevail for the foreseeable future (and they prorate our water usage during the winter months starting in December for "average Winter usage" on the "sewer" portion of the bill, so I wanted to get as much water down as I could before December 1st :wink:).

I shut my water off in October last year until late Spring because we had those regular rain events and minimal evaporation. Not that fortunate this year.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:28 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:

I've noticed that too. We've had these drizzly/misty events that filth up the cars and do nothing for the soils. I turned on my water Saturday while it was foggy and misting/light raining because my yard soils were dry, and knowing that sunny, breezy, cool weather (evaporation) would prevail for the foreseeable future (and they prorate our water usage during the winter months starting in December for "average Winter usage" on the "sewer" portion of the bill, so I wanted to get as much water down as I could before December 1st :wink:).

I shut my water off in October last year until late Spring because we had those regular rain events and minimal evaporation. Not that fortunate this year.

When it rains this time of the year, it’s usually on the light side. I’ve noticed during the months from November through February when it rains, it’s usually just mist or drizzle.
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#119 Postby Haris » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm

its rained more in Las Vegas than in Austin this past November.

Sad stat but shows the story of this fall. Terrible weather.
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#120 Postby harp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:57 pm

Umm...you boys in Texas need to look at the 18Z GFS.....
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”