Triple-phaser potential

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Juliancolton
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Triple-phaser potential

#1 Postby Juliancolton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:22 am

The GFS has been showing for the past couple runs (at least) a triple-phaser, even if a weaker one, late next week:

The last true triple-phaser was March 1993, so this would be cool.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Triple-phaser? Feel free to enlighten us folks who don't have a very big vocabulary! =]
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Triple-phaser potential

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:45 pm

If you are talking Superstorm like in March '93 I think there are many that would disagree with the fact that a crippling storm is "cool". Interesting to watch and to try and forecast? Definitely! Please do give us an explanation why you think this may happen.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Juliancolton
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby Juliancolton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm

vbhoutex wrote:If you are talking Superstorm like in March '93 I think there are many that would disagree with the fact that a crippling storm is "cool". Interesting to watch and to try and forecast? Definitely! Please do give us an explanation why you think this may happen.

Yes, you're right; the destruction is something nobody wants to see. However, from a purely meteorological standpoint, severe weather phenomena are incredible and fascinating events, so it's a bitter-sweet I guess.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Juliancolton wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:If you are talking Superstorm like in March '93 I think there are many that would disagree with the fact that a crippling storm is "cool". Interesting to watch and to try and forecast? Definitely! Please do give us an explanation why you think this may happen.

Yes, you're right; the destruction is something nobody wants to see. However, from a purely meteorological standpoint, severe weather phenomena are incredible and fascinating events, so it's a bitter-sweet I guess.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Peanut432
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Peanut432 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 pm

What is a triple phaser? Some kind of Blizzard? I tried to do some research but all I could come up with something about the 78 and 93 "super storms" and no real explanation
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:15 pm

I've been reading a bit about the term triple phaser and see it referred to as a rare and perfect storm triad of sub-tropical jet impulse+arctic jet energy+lobe of the polar vortex. Apparently there is a mega polar vortex over the Canadian Prairies.

Hoping our Meteorologists may weigh in on this rare event which brings devastation through high winds, large snow amounts with drifts, and of course plummeting temperatures all impacting our home heating system and transportation.

WLD
0 likes   

Juliancolton
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby Juliancolton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Peanut432 wrote:What is a triple phaser? Some kind of Blizzard? I tried to do some research but all I could come up with something about the 78 and 93 "super storms" and no real explanation

It's when three branches of the jet stream phase together to form an intense cyclone.
0 likes   

Juliancolton
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby Juliancolton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Doesn't have to be a blizzard though...
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Stephanie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:13 am

Juliancolton wrote:
Peanut432 wrote:What is a triple phaser? Some kind of Blizzard? I tried to do some research but all I could come up with something about the 78 and 93 "super storms" and no real explanation

It's when three branches of the jet stream phase together to form an intense cyclone.

Has there been any OFFICIAL discussion on this potential through the NWS or is this your own forecast? You have a map, are there any other updates?

When making a prediction, you MUST include a disclaimer:

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
Juliancolton wrote:

0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Juliancolton
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#12 Postby Juliancolton » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Juliancolton wrote:

Has there been any OFFICIAL discussion on this potential through the NWS or is this your own forecast? You have a map, are there any other updates?

When making a prediction, you MUST include a disclaimer:

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

I didn't make a forecast. I said the GFS is indicating it...
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Stephanie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 am

As David and I requested, tell us WHY you think this may occur. Are there any other updates?

All mets and non-professionals use models as a basis for their forecast. You came out and stated based on this model that there's a potential for a triple-phaser. That's a forecast.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”