ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#61 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:02 pm

92L will likely make a sharp turn to the northwest and end up close to 15°N within the next few days, thanks to the monsoonal circulation. The 12Z GEFS suite is still in line with my general idea(s). A sharp northwestward lurch would place 92L over cooler waters and in a more stable environment, as well as decrease the risk of a landfall on either the islands or the CONUS, owing to latitudinal factors as well as the northward displacement of the mid-level ridge axis. So my ideas still seem to be “on track.” 92L would need to maintain a general westward or west-northwestward heading over the next few days to still present a viable threat to either the islands or the CONUS.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#62 Postby Woofde » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:13 pm

Shell Mound wrote:92L will likely make a sharp turn to the northwest and end up close to 15°N within the next few days, thanks to the monsoonal circulation. The 12Z GEFS suite is still in line with my general idea(s). A sharp northwestward lurch would place 92L over cooler waters and in a more stable environment, as well as decrease the risk of a landfall on either the islands or the CONUS, owing to latitudinal factors as well as the northward displacement of the mid-level ridge axis. So my ideas still seem to be “on track.” 92L would need to maintain a general westward or west-northwestward heading over the next few days to still present a viable threat to either the islands or the CONUS.
Possible, but the NHC doesn't seem to believe that's the case. They generally have it going WNW instead.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby toad strangler » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:22 pm

Regardless of development chances, 12z Euro has this moving generally Westward
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Looks like we're having the same setup that stunted MDR development early last September where the monsoon flow is causing the waves to interact too much to where none develop.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby toad strangler » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:03 pm

Hammy wrote:Looks like we're having the same setup that stunted MDR development early last September where the monsoon flow is causing the waves to interact too much to where none develop.

…. Until further west
5 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:16 pm

toad strangler wrote:
Hammy wrote:Looks like we're having the same setup that stunted MDR development early last September where the monsoon flow is causing the waves to interact too much to where none develop.

…. Until further west

I am thinking this season is going to be very similar to 2017. Harvey did not develop into a depression until about 500 miles east of the Lesser Antilles and Irma did not intensify quickly until it approached them either. Harvey didn't really do much either until he entered the Gulf. Let's see if this wave starts to look better when it gets closer to the Caribbean.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#67 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:19 pm

AL, 92, 2021080618, , BEST, 0, 102N, 244W, 25, 1011, LO
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Where are all the pro-mets? I always enjoy their opinions on what they think is transpiring. Also, where is Aric Dunn? I have not seen him on any threads in a while.
2 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby Nimbus » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:38 pm

I see two areas of rotation the area further west is a little further south which might give it the moisture advantage. If the area further east rotates north into the SAL it won't be the dominant center for long. Could take a while for the models to get a handle on the evolution.
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:17 pm

1 likes   

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

#71 Postby StPeteMike » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:00 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

…. Until further west

I am thinking this season is going to be very similar to 2017. Harvey did not develop into a depression until about 500 miles east of the Lesser Antilles and Irma did not intensify quickly until it approached them either. Harvey didn't really do much either until he entered the Gulf. Let's see if this wave starts to look better when it gets closer to the Caribbean.

I’m right there with you guys. Once these storms can get far away from the monsoon flow down there, that’s when many will start get going. Unfortunately this just points to more of a threat to the CONUS/C.AM with 1. storms not getting strong enough before the islands to lift north and 2. Bermuda High being pretty strong to keep them going west longer before curving.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm honestly not really surprised 92L really has amounted to nothing so far, but I would caution that if it manages to go more west and find more favorable conditions there without falling apart then that would almost certainly be worth watching now that we are in August. I think the far east MDR is still a bit unfavorable for rapid development. Plus 92L is very big.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Zonacane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#73 Postby Zonacane » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I'm honestly not really surprised 92L really has amounted to nothing so far, but I would caution that if it manages to go more west and find more favorable conditions there without falling apart then that would almost certainly be worth watching now that we are in August. I think the far east MDR is still a bit unfavorable for rapid development. Plus 92L is very big.

Monsoon gyres take forever to sort out, it will be a bit
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:02 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:Where are all the pro-mets? I always enjoy their opinions on what they think is transpiring. Also, where is Aric Dunn? I have not seen him on any threads in a while.

I’m wondering the same thing.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:27 pm

First week of August usually isn't very favorable for these waves to develop way out there so I wouldn't be surprised if either of these fail. However, if they make it further west, they may be able to do something there. So while they may not do anything over the next several days, I could see something trying to spin up if it gets to the Caribbean.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby toad strangler » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:29 pm

William Gray rang the bell every 8/20 for a reason!
1 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby AlphaToOmega » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:34 pm

The NHC has a hard time dealing with the monsoon trough. It is still too early to discount the system, though. Also, no code red invest has failed to develop in the Atlantic this year.
Doing some quick math:
50% * 80% * 90% = 36%
64% chance of a depression developing within 5 days
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 pm

toad strangler wrote:

…. Until further west

Hence why I specifically noted the MDR specifically.
2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby toad strangler » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:53 pm

Hammy wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

…. Until further west

Hence why I specifically noted the MDR specifically.

Well, The MDR spreads pretty far west. Hence, just pointing it out.
1 likes   

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby wx98 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:03 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:The NHC has a hard time dealing with the monsoon trough. It is still too early to discount the system, though. Also, no code red invest has failed to develop in the Atlantic this year.
Doing some quick math:
50% * 80% * 90% = 36%
64% chance of a depression developing within 5 days

There is no such thing as a “code red invest.” Also, many times invests with high chances of formation through 5 days (and even 48 hours) do not develop. Additionally, I don’t know where you are getting that math problem.
0 likes   

Return to “2021”