ATL: FLORENCE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#4841 Postby dukeblue219 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:51 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:Oh wow, I didn't notice he was streaming. Was there a link?

Go back to 11pm EDT ish and there was a lot of conversation about it. It was a Facebook video and a number of people were discussing the video quality of his stream, but I didn't personally check it out.
0 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4842 Postby Ken711 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:54 pm

NHC:

5:00 PM EDT Fri Sep 14
Moving: W at 3 mph
Min pressure: 972 mb
Max sustained: 70 mph
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4843 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Aric checked into chat, he's fine. :)
10 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4844 Postby RL3AO » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 pm

The lights have flickered a few times for me today. Looks like the heavier rain is moving into the Raleigh area now so we'll see how it goes.
2 likes   

sittingduck
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4845 Postby sittingduck » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:00 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:Last active: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 am

According to his bio he lives in Chicago. So, unless he lives closer to the coast, so could just be sleeping in, or working or busy.

He was broadcasting live from a parking garage in Wilmington last night when the eyeball went through. But thanks at least I know he was on here at o dark thirty lol

I found the link from my history and I see now that he has posted a couple more videos since. In case you want to see https://www.facebook.com/pg/HurricaneFlorenceC4/posts/
Oh wow, I didn't notice he was streaming. Was there a link?
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4846 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 pm

RL3AO wrote:The lights have flickered a few times for me today. Looks like the heavier rain is moving into the Raleigh area now so we'll see how it goes.
im headed to wake med in a few weeks, please keep me updated as to how the park fairs.

Thx
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4847 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 pm

tolakram wrote:Aric checked into chat, he's fine. :)
he had a good video feed going this morning around 430
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#4848 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

4 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#4849 Postby HurricaneRyan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Did Florence make landfall as hurricane or a tropical storm?
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4850 Postby AdamFirst » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:19 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Did Florence make landfall as hurricane or a tropical storm?

Category 1 Hurricane earlier this morning
1 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4851 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:24 pm

ChucktownStormer wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Just got word from some relatives that their house got blown over. Thankfully they evacuated. Damn.
where was that, takes some big winds to blow a house over

Impossible. It was only a Category 1...

Turns out water came in and caused the teak wood to cave in from the bottom. So it wasn't actually the wind. The house basically toppled over itself. Probably poor construction, but it still sucks.
6 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#4852 Postby txwatcher91 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Things are pretty bad in Jacksonville, NC. I have some family there and they have 5 kids. They didn’t stock up on enough food or water so only have enough to last 2 days at best. Power is out and they are under a boil water advisory which they can’t do since they have no power. They can’t leave their house due to power lines and trees blocking both ends of the road. The power company said they won’t be out there for another 1-2 days at the earliest due to all the rain, flooding and trees down everywhere plus the winds. Very bad situation and I’m hoping things improve soon. This is the ugly side of hurricanes that people don’t think about and have no idea what it’s like until they or family members go through it.
3 likes   

petit_bois
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4853 Postby petit_bois » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:40 pm

I truly underestimated this storm...I’m out of hurricane beer already!!!!
7 likes   
Resident of the Atlantic Basin's Major Hurricane Hit Capital!
Camille (200+winds), Frederic, Goerges, Katrina... and many many more.

Disclaimer: I'm likely the smartest guy here... but I have no idea where a tropical cyclone will go. I suggest you take my opinion as a grain of salt. I suggest you look to the National Hurricane Center for accurate info.

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#4854 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Looking at the TCR for Floyd, which was said to have made landfall in NC as a category 2 storm, the vast majority of sustained winds reported on land were weaker than those seen in Florence. Based on this, as well as flight level winds of ~100kt, dropsondes showing up to 88kt in lowest 150m, and a very well defined and complete eyewall on radar at landfall, it seems there are reasonable grounds for upgrade to 85kt at landfall in the post season analysis.
3 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4855 Postby Steve » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:43 pm

txwatcher91 wrote:Things are pretty bad in Jacksonville, NC. I have some family there and they have 5 kids. They didn’t stock up on enough food or water so only have enough to last 2 days at best. Power is out and they are under a boil water advisory which they can’t do since they have no power. They can’t leave their house due to power lines and trees blocking both ends of the road. The power company said they won’t be out there for another 1-2 days at the earliest due to all the rain, flooding and trees down everywhere plus the winds. Very bad situation and I’m hoping things improve soon. This is the ugly side of hurricanes that people don’t think about and have no idea what it’s like until they or family members go through it.

Might be a day or two but If they end up staying, Red Cross and others will drive around with provisions and meals. Biggest issue is having water. Not everyone has the means and I can imagine with 5 kids, things are expensive. But you gotta be prepared for more than 2 days just in case. They’ll know next time, and hopefully they will be fine.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4856 Postby RL3AO » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:44 pm

txwatcher91 wrote:Things are pretty bad in Jacksonville, NC. I have some family there and they have 5 kids. They didn’t stock up on enough food or water so only have enough to last 2 days at best. Power is out and they are under a boil water advisory which they can’t do since they have no power. They can’t leave their house due to power lines and trees blocking both ends of the road. The power company said they won’t be out there for another 1-2 days at the earliest due to all the rain, flooding and trees down everywhere plus the winds. Very bad situation and I’m hoping things improve soon. This is the ugly side of hurricanes that people don’t think about and have no idea what it’s like until they or family members go through it.

That's not good. Jacksonville was one of those areas where a week of supplies was a good idea.
2 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4857 Postby RL3AO » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Steve wrote:

Might be a day or two but If they end up staying, Red Cross and others will drive around with provisions and meals. Biggest issue is having water. Not everyone has the means and I can imagine with 5 kids, things are expensive. But you gotta be prepared for more than 2 days just in case. They’ll know next time, and hopefully they will be fine.

There's a FEMA staging area at a few Walmart's here in Raleigh. I'm sure they'll be heading east when things die down. It's quite something to see 80 to 100 ambulances parked at Walmart.
3 likes   

zeehag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4858 Postby zeehag » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm

has louisiana cajun navy been called and notified of your familys plight? might be a solution.
4 likes   
life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!

http://www.sksolitarybird.org

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4859 Postby Steve » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Cajun Navy could get them out but it sounds like they can’t get to the end of the streets from debris and power lines. Utility contractors are usually out within 2 days with chainsaw gangs moving down the streets and cutting obstacles into manageable pieces. I wouldn’t risk it with kids and downed power lines, but that’s me.
0 likes   

sittingduck
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4860 Postby sittingduck » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:02 pm

zeehag wrote:

has louisiana cajun navy been called and notified of your familys plight? might be a solution.

Give them a call and see if they have anyone in the area that can help. Taking them to a shelter may be the best idea Here is an telephone number for them - 888-372-2586
3 likes   

Return to “2018”