ATL: IRMA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: IRMA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#12281 Postby pgoss11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 am

Well, Irma has been an amazing storm to track from the very beginning as she left the coast of Africa as an Invest. As an amateur weather hobbyist for over 30 years, I enjoy the actual journey from beginning to end of watching these storms progress and transition into powerful beasts. I'm not into this hobby for all the destruction and devastation it causes and I never root for the storm to hit anywhere. What I marvel in is the immense power of Mother Nature. After all these years I am still awestruck how each storm is different and each have their own identity. Irma will be one that goes into the record books and surely her name will be retired. My hearts go out to all those who have suffered immeasurable loss, especially those in the islands. While some people will think I am heartless for actually enjoying the actually journey while so many lives are lost..I don't enjoy that part of the journey at all, but the science and immense power of Mother Nature is just mind boggling to me even after all these years. Thanks for the crazy ride Irma!
Last edited by pgoss11 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#12282 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 am

Irma has merged with the cold front now. Look at the temps in Tallahassee! 64F with a 63 dewpoint! Just east of Irma's center is a 64F temperature. That's not tropical air. No sustained tropical storm-force winds over land, they're all in the squalls streaming into the SC coast.

Red numbers on the map below are temperature, green are dewpoint:

2 likes   

cfltrib
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#12283 Postby cfltrib » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 am

Irma by far wasn't the strongest storm to hit Florida, but it's the only storm I can remember in the 60 years I lived in Florida that spread Tropical Storm to Hurricane force winds coast to coast from the keys to the Florida/Georgia line, including a good portion of the panhandle! We dodged a huge bullet when she brushed the Cuba shore for almost a day before turning our way.
Last edited by cfltrib on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#12284 Postby stormreader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:11 am

cfltrib wrote:Irma by far wasn't the strongest storm to hit Florida, but it's the only storm I can remember in the 60 years I lived in Florida that spread Tropical Storm to Hurricane force winds coast to coast from the keys to the Florida/Georgia line, including a good portion of the panhandle!

You are right. It was very memorable and historic for its size and scope.
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#12285 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 am

Well, I'm on my way back, will asses the damage when I get home.

A long drive awaits me.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12286 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am

Would Irma be considered extratropical now, or is that frontal boundary not directly in the system?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#12287 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:42 am

https://twitter.com/chswx/status/907281756084228096

Charleston Weather @chswx
9.372’ in the harbor. Irma has broken Matthew’s record of 9.28’. Water levels continue to rise.
12:36 PM - Sep 11, 2017

Not an official source.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12288 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 am

Suomi NPP Overflew Florida and Hurricane Irma shortly after 0700 UTC on Monday 11 September.

Suomi NPP includes a Day Night Band on the VIIRS Instrument, allowing night-time visible imagery that is illuminated by the Moon.

In addition to the cloud structures, this band can help identify power outages. Tampa and Miami city lights are still visible. Key West is dark.

A Zoomed-in view Key West shows very little illumination.

6 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#12289 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Florida got EXTREMELY lucky with Irma's Cuban stopover.
1 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#12290 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm

While Cuba did prevent Irma from being a monster storm over Florida, let's not overlook the fact that they got devastated too. 10 deaths have been reported there.
3 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12291 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:27 pm

GCANE wrote:Suomi NPP Overflew Florida and Hurricane Irma shortly after 0700 UTC on Monday 11 September.

Suomi NPP includes a Day Night Band on the VIIRS Instrument, allowing night-time visible imagery that is illuminated by the Moon.

In addition to the cloud structures, this band can help identify power outages. Tampa and Miami city lights are still visible. Key West is dark.

A Zoomed-in view Key West shows very little illumination.

http://i.imgur.com/0qNeLU3.png

http://i.imgur.com/fpCkwjD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aZEI5eR.png
http://i.imgur.com/WVV1RPT.jpg

SW Florida is also in the dark :eek:
0 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#12292 Postby Ken711 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:33 pm

How wide was Irma's eye when it made landfall in FL?
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#12293 Postby stormreader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

New report on Irma destruction and aftermath at ground zero--British Virgin Islands. Tough people, but many traumatized by the experience.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41218817
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: Irma: Observations,Web Cams,Local NWS Statements (NE Caribbean/Bahamas/Florida/SC/NC)

#12294 Postby msbee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

St Maarten is slowly recovering. I am OK. Our house stood up well. We have cistern water and we have a generator. We have to limit usage of both so we don’t run out. Our fuel for the generator is low but we are OK for awhile.
When we turn on the generator we actually have internet and a landline. There is limited cell phone usage but that is slowly being restored too.
GEBE the utilities company has been distributing water to different districts for days now.
Considering everything, we consider ourselves very lucky.Many on the island are not so well off.
The reports of looting are disheartening and very scary but slowly order is being restored.
Abajan, it was total anarchy. scary to go out. It's better now.
The other side of that coin is people helping people. Stores giving away free food before it spoils. Neighborhoods banding together to clean up.
Laser 101 has been on the air non stop giving us updates since other communication on the island was impossible.
You can check their Facebook page for updates.
https://www.facebook.com/laser101/
They are streaming live at
http://laser101.fm/
Do not despair if you have not heard from people. Most of us are OK but unable to communicate.
Authorities are doing a great job of getting visitors off the island and back home.
Regards to all who have been affected by this storm and thanks to those of you who continue to send well wishes and offers of help.
Barbara
6 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12295 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Hello everyone I wanted to just inform everyone here on Storm2k that I am doing okay. My power is out and went out during the worst of the storm here in Jacksonville around 3 a.m. this morning . As everyone probably knows by now, The Saint Johns River took a bad storm surge and we have massive river flooding in downtown Jacksonville . All around the Jacksonville Landing and down on the Riverside area, it is bad and we are just hopeful for the slow gradual receding of the river after high tide, but that won't occur for at least two or three more hours. So it's a very bad situation.There has been substantial wind damage across the area. I've have some trees down in my neighborhood here but thankfully my home itself and my family is doing fine. My power is still out, and I don't know how long it's going to be out. However, I just wanted to come on and thank everyone for their prayers and concerns. We all need it and appreciate Storm2k giving this amazing outlet letting everyone know how we are all doing. I am so proud of this site and for being a member of it for 7 years now! I pray that everyone across this entire state are OK and safe. My prayers go out to everyone from the NE Caribbean, The Bahamas, and Cuba, who have all been impacted by this deadly monster cyclone named Irma.

I will try my best to check back in once my power is back on fully. I'm using my cell phone in this instance. I'm actually doing this charging my phone through the car because my power is out, but God bless everyone!! Thank you for all your prayers!!!

I will post a post summary of this historic tropical cyclone in the coming days.

Oh, one last word to you all: please , please, include in your prayers to have Hurricane Jose get sheared apart or whatever possible scenario to come about to not have him add salt to our wounds here across the Florida peninsula .

I have not had time to look over the details with the models and won't obviously with our situation here. But JOSE. NO WAY!! STAY AWAY!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12296 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Curfew was lifted at 11 AM this morning so I went around to see damage.
Lots of large trees and power lines down, houses with older roofs have missing shingles. Lots of generators being put to good use.

4 likes   

smithtim
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12297 Postby smithtim » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:52 pm

stormreader wrote:New report on Irma destruction and aftermath at ground zero--British Virgin Islands. Tough people, but many traumatized by the experience.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41218817

Thanks for sharing that... I know in Florida we're dealing with a lot but the truth is the real brunt of this storm was islands and my thoughts & prayers are with the folks down there. While Irma was a beast when hit SWFLa she was a long way of from what she previously had - I can only imagine what 185 mph would have done to us and feel we got very lucky! I personally just got reports from my rental home in Titusville all ok as is my home oceanfront north of Dirtona Beach, pheweww feeling blessed
3 likes   
Disclaimer: while I am PhD who does research I'm rambling here so this post should be taken only for entertainment...use nhc.noaa.gov for official forecasts!

FLoridian living round here for a while: 2016 Matthew & 1998 Earl lived barrier island landfall. Also lived nearby/inland for: 2017 Irma & 2004 Frances,Jeanne & 1992 Andrew

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#12298 Postby pgoss11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Irma isn't done yet here in Charleston SC. Multiple tornado warnings, sustained tropical force winds and some gusts to hurricane force. The Charleston Battery is under water and Charleston Emergency Services have suspended operations as it is too dangerous to go outside. This storm is far worse than what we experienced during Hurricane Matthew and the storm surge in downtown Charleston has surpassed that level during Hurricane Matthew.
5 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#12299 Postby stormreader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm

pgoss11 wrote:Irma isn't done yet here in Charleston SC. Multiple tornado warnings, sustained tropical force winds and some gusts to hurricane force. The Charleston Battery is under water and Charleston Emergency Services have suspended operations as it is too dangerous to go outside. This storm is far worse than what we experienced during Hurricane Matthew and the storm surge in downtown Charleston has surpassed that level during Hurricane Matthew.

Tells a lot that you would say its far worse than what you experienced with Mathew. I know, you were to the west of Mathew, but still very close to a hurricane. This made landfall so long ago, and so far away from you, and is theoretically a dying tropical storm. Speaks volumes.
3 likes   

plazaglass
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#12300 Postby plazaglass » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Also reporting in from the Jacksonville area (the beach, actually). Incredibly, the power was still on when we got up after a wild night of winds and pounding rain. It went off right after we got coffee and breakfast made! Gave the weather another couple of hours before taking the braces off of the garage door and rolling out the generator. Took a short ride around our little beach town and the scene is as expected: limbs down everywhere, foliage clogging the storm drains, no one with power, law enforcement out en masse making sure everyone's cool. No telling, of course, when the power will return, but we have plenty of gas and the fridge is cold. Seeing the photos come in of devastated areas throughout the islands, where so many lost absolutely everything, and the damage around Florida has us feeling very, very fortunate indeed.
2 likes   

Return to “2017”