ATL: SANDY - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurrMark
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: SANDY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#3761 Postby HurrMark » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Terry wrote:
HurrMark wrote:Where is the looting? I can't get Twitter at work... That is a shock (although if this was 1977, it would not be a surprise)...

There was one other mention earlier, but here was the one I was posting about:
#NYPD calling for more cops, people "breaking into all stores" around Mermaid Ave. #crime #nyc #sandy

Just checked and there was a newer one posted about looting at Coney Island.

I think this may be a little overblown...this isn't 1977 anymore.

By the way, the NY Marathon will go on as planned this weekend.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3762 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:24 pm

And now this one:
#NYPD escalating mass looter situation to a 'Level One' asking for the Boro Task Force for manpower to come assemble at location #sandy #nyc

All I know is that this group monitors the police scanners, etc.

HurrMark wrote:
Terry wrote:
HurrMark wrote:Where is the looting? I can't get Twitter at work... That is a shock (although if this was 1977, it would not be a surprise)...

#NYPD calling for more cops, people "breaking into all stores" around Mermaid Ave. #crime #nyc #sandy

0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#3763 Postby Frank2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Nothing posted on CNN.com or FOXNews.com or WABC-TV's local web site about looting - not to say there might be some, but nothing posted so far...

P.S. Mermaid Avenue - that's a pretty rough neighborhood...
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#3764 Postby Sanibel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm

That ABC TV coverage is the best. There's a post-hurricane situation going on there with lack of water, electricity etc in a place where there are concentrated people who depend on those services.
0 likes   

chrisjslucia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#3765 Postby chrisjslucia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:Another thing that gets me about this board .......

People generally flock here during the run-up to the event, start to dwindle off as it's happening, then disappear afterwards during the condition reports and clean-up.

Kind of like company coming to your house for something, then leaving you with the mess.

Ok, from personal experience. In the run up to the last hurricane here (Tomas) I was either preparing, shopping or on the board. During, we had no power = no internet. After we had no water, power and loads of flooding and general damage to clear up. So, still no internet. My view is you are maybe being a little harsh on this occasion?
0 likes   

clifman
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3766 Postby clifman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Where can one find a detailed map of the path that Sandy took upon making landfall? (Not one like at the upper left here, but one that would show the precise landfall point and what towns etc. the storm went directly over.) Thanks.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#3767 Postby Sanibel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 pm

The storm is holding form pretty well and dumping snow on West Virginia. Starting the north turn now.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3768 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:08 pm

This is good news that the stock market will reopen on Wednesday.

U.S. markets for stocks, options and other exchange-based derivatives remained closed for a second-straight session on Tuesday, marking the first two-day weather-related shutdown since 1888.

Trading will commence on the NYSE at 9:30 am under normal opening procedures.

“We are pleased to be able to return to normal trading tomorrow," said Duncan Niederauer, CEO of NYSE Euronext, in a statement. "Our building and systems were not damaged and our people have been working diligently to ensure that we have a smooth opening tomorrow.”

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49606999
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SevenTreesFarm
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3769 Postby SevenTreesFarm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm still here.
Been monitoring the live EMS scanner feeds today. It's just a mess everywhere :cry:
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3770 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Nice update from Mark Suddath at HurricaneTrack.com:

I am currently in Belmar, NJ. The Governor flew in and I got to meet him, was introduced by the Mayor here. It seems that the briefing that I gave to the town yesterday afternoon about what to expect in the coming hours was very helpful in their understanding of what to expect. Quite an honor to be able to assist a small town using experience as a teacher.

It is quite a mess here. Some areas of Ocean Blvd are heavily damaged by the surge. A lot of flooding even away from the ocean in the bays and other waterways. The good news is that, at least for here, no reports of any serious injuries.

I am hoping to get up to Long Branch to pull out the equipment that I set up yesterday. I may not be able to - we shall see. I'll post more here as the day progresses.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#3771 Postby Ntxw » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:
WeatherGuesser wrote:Another thing that gets me about this board .......

People generally flock here during the run-up to the event, start to dwindle off as it's happening, then disappear afterwards during the condition reports and clean-up.

Kind of like company coming to your house for something, then leaving you with the mess.

hehe, that's very true. lots of build of posts prior to the storm hitting, then after the storm hits, the posts on the board are almost all gone, even though hearing the reports of the storm is what people want to hear most. I never quite understood the logic in that....

This board and many boards, often are filled with weather enthusiasts. They enjoy extremes of weather and seeing how it works scientifically. However (im sure this applies to everyone) no one wants one of these things to effect people. People posts lots prior to landfall because at that time they can post about the science that goes into it without human safety involved at the time. In my case (and again I'm sure for most if not all) during landfall and when it effects people they choose to not waste posts and let pro mets or people of skill in regards to lives/property to post meaningful information that effects people.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

sleepysilverdoor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3772 Postby sleepysilverdoor » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm not really sure what else there is to be done when it comes to keeping this thread open. Now the majority of the damage is extremely evident on almost every major media outlet, spreading across all of the social networks, and I'm sure most of the people affected by the storm are probably out looking at the damage. There's not a whole lot left to discuss.

Should we just turn this into a 'let's repost damage pictures we've found' thread? Image
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3773 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:39 pm

EDIT: I see it was posted above me.
Last edited by brunota2003 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#3774 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:04 pm

clifman wrote:Where can one find a detailed map of the path that Sandy took upon making landfall? (Not one like at the upper left here, but one that would show the precise landfall point and what towns etc. the storm went directly over.) Thanks.

You can go online here and plot your own:

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /index.php

However, I caution you that Sandy was not a typical TC at landfall, in that the worst effects were not near the center. The strongest winds were located 100 or so miles NORTH of the center into Long Island. So don't equate the precise track of the center with the strongest winds/highest surge/greatest rainfall, etc.
0 likes   

sleepysilverdoor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3775 Postby sleepysilverdoor » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Breezy point, Queens, NY.

Source: Business Insider.
Last edited by sleepysilverdoor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

sleepysilverdoor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3776 Postby sleepysilverdoor » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:16 pm

And another...Verizon headquarters in Manhattan. Image

Source: Baltimore Sun
Last edited by sleepysilverdoor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#3777 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:16 pm

If you do post pics/videos, please identify where the picture was taken as well as the source of the photos/videos.

I'm hearing early damage estimates of $45 billion.

And note that there are already a number of "fake" damage pics going around:
http://mashable.com/2012/10/29/fake-hur ... dy-photos/
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3778 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 pm

HurrMark wrote:
Terry wrote:

It sounds crazy, but that marathon going ahead is a good idea. If they keep it to arterial roads, most likely they will have them all cleared, and it would boost their spirits in a tough time.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3779 Postby tolakram » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Frank2 wrote:Interesting that up to Sandy the 2012 season was busy but uneventful (unless I'm forgetting something), and now the season will be remembered for one particular hurricane, similar to 1969 for Camille, 1972 for Agnes, 1992 for Andrew and 2005 for Katrina, so again as they say it only takes one...

P.S. As far as lower Manhattan goes, at least this morning any additional storm surge flooding wasn't evident, but during the lunch hour I did read that 10 subway tunnels are flooded - from my memory that's most of the system into and out of Manhattan...

P.P.S. Yes, I'm sure Ozonepete is asleep or his Internet connection is down - his professional forecast about the effects of Sandy's landfall were correct, unfortunately...

Frank

Don't forget Isaac.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3780 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:31 pm

From NC:

Red Wolf Recovery ‏@redwolfrecovery
Post-Sandy Update: Wolf facilities & the captive wolves in eastern NC survived the storm. We'll continue to monitor the wild pop'n.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Return to “2012”