ATL: LESLIE - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: LESLIE - Models

#161 Postby chaser1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:36 pm

[/quote]....steering might be in place to push Leslie on a more westward track and quite potentially impact any point from Florida to the Carolina Outer Banks. Should Leslie gain more latitude during the next 48-72 hours only to be caught or stuck in a COL a bit farther north, than I would assume the storm to eventually recurve ahead of the next eventual short wave[/quote]

As an afterthought, it would seem that if greater weight were attributed to the historically accurate EURO model, than there would seem to be much less of a threat to the U.S. Seaboard given the higher latitude that Leslie is forecasted to be at. On the other hand, the GFS has seemingly been more accurate this season and I would be that much more unsettled if tonights 0Z GFS indicates any south and west shift in Leslie's near term forecast.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

edurican
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#162 Postby edurican » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:19 pm

chaser1 wrote:
....steering might be in place to push Leslie on a more westward track and quite potentially impact any point from Florida to the Carolina Outer Banks. Should Leslie gain more latitude during the next 48-72 hours only to be caught or stuck in a COL a bit farther north, than I would assume the storm to eventually recurve ahead of the next eventual short wave[/quote]

As an afterthought, it would seem that if greater weight were attributed to the historically accurate EURO model, than there would seem to be much less of a threat to the U.S. Seaboard given the higher latitude that Leslie is forecasted to be at. On the other hand, the GFS has seemingly been more accurate this season and I would be that much more unsettled if tonights 0Z GFS indicates any south and west shift in Leslie's near term forecast.[/quote]

What would this mean for the Lesser Antilles/ Puerto Rico?
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, not even close. Please don't rely on what I say about the weather!

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#163 Postby chaser1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 pm

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Well, in all likelihood I would imagine that either way impacts to Puerto Rico would be minimal. The north coast will likely experience some significant swells generated by the northerly flow from Leslie when the storm is north of the island. My only concern is that a somewhat more westward track might cause the storm to be just west enough ( and below 24N ) to potentially be south of a building mid level ridge that might push the storm towards the U.S. Eastern seaboard. The only circumstances where I could see a greater impact to Puerto Rico would neccessite a significant weakening of the storm overnight and tomm. caused by upper level shear and thus allowing the storm to move more westward in the short term. Right now Leslie appears to be slowly getting more organized and has recently appeared to "stairstep" a bit more to the north. Looks like Leslie is starting to get a bit more with the program and starting to follow NHC's track

I think Puerto Rico will come out fine with this storm and not likely be affected. :uarrow:.
Last edited by tolakram on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added disclaimer
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby LarryWx » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:13 pm

chaser1 wrote:Therefore the way I see it, depending on the timing of things.... should Leslie continue to fight shear in the near term and thus be less impacted by the existing weakness to her north and perhaps maintain an increased forward speed and continue a 285 (or less) heading for the next 48-72 hours, than I believe the steering might be in place to push Leslie on a more westward track and quite potentially impact any point from Florida to the Carolina Outer Banks. [/color]

Taking model runs as well as climo into account, I'm going with only about a 3% chance for a SC hit and a mere 1% for a GA or FL hit since there's no ridge progged that would impart enough westward steering to get it to those three states. These numbers are based on climo and my study of hundreds of actual tracks. Compare this to last years's Irene, which was progged on every GFS run from twelve days and every Euro run from eight days out to hit the U.S.
Last edited by tolakram on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added disclaimer
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#165 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:46 pm

Hey folks,

the disclaimer is not optional when making a prediction, please remember to add it. You can also put the disclaimer in your signature so you won't have to worry about forgetting.

Thanks.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#166 Postby fci » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Jevo wrote:
Bocadude85 wrote:What is that moving over Florida shown on the GFS?

Heh... reminants of Isaac? I didnt see this run shoot it out yet like the past runs have

Seems like several runs have Isaac, or what's left of him; making a return engagement to Florida. Didn't Ivan do that several years ago?
0 likes   

sfwx
Category 1
Category 1

#167 Postby sfwx » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 pm

fci wrote:
Jevo wrote:

Heh... reminants of Isaac? I didnt see this run shoot it out yet like the past runs have

Seems like several runs have Isaac, or what's left of him; making a return engagement to Florida. Didn't Ivan do that several years ago?

Yes in 2004 right between Frances and Jeanne!
0 likes   

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#168 Postby Jevo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 pm

0z GFS Initialized

0z GFS +24

0z GFS +48

0 likes   
Disclaimer: 50% of the time I have no clue of what I am talking about. Chances are I am taking a less than educated guess that sounds good because 10 years ago I stole Mike Watkins book 'The Hurricane and its Impact'. For official information please direct yourself to the NHC and their cadre of weather geniuses.

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#169 Postby Jevo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 pm

0z GFS +72

0z GFS +96

0z GFS +120

0 likes   
Disclaimer: 50% of the time I have no clue of what I am talking about. Chances are I am taking a less than educated guess that sounds good because 10 years ago I stole Mike Watkins book 'The Hurricane and its Impact'. For official information please direct yourself to the NHC and their cadre of weather geniuses.

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#170 Postby Jevo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:14 pm

0z GFS +144

0z GFS +168

Last edited by Jevo on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#171 Postby Riptide » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:16 pm

The GFS is creating phantom lows again, this run will not threaten any land areas.
0 likes   

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#172 Postby feederband » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:24 pm

fci wrote:
Jevo wrote:

Yeah it was the ghost of Ivan...
0 likes   

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#173 Postby Jevo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 pm

0z GFS +192

0z GFS +216

0 likes   

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#174 Postby Jevo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 pm

0z GFS +240

0z GFS +264

0z GFS +288

0 likes   

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#175 Postby Jevo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:43 pm

0 likes   

rainstorm

#176 Postby rainstorm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:36 am

season may be ending early based on the models
0 likes   

Jimsot
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#177 Postby Jimsot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 am

tolakram wrote:Hey folks,

the disclaimer is not optional when making a prediction, please remember to add it. You can also put the disclaimer in your signature so you won't have to worry about forgetting.

Thanks.

This is a test.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#178 Postby abajan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:50 am

tolakram wrote:Hey folks,

Thanks.
I'm almost certain I saw another admin state that putting the disclaimer in your signature won't do (or words to that effect) because it must precede the post. Plus its text states (in part) "The following ..." which wouldn't make any sense in a signature. I've seen lots of members putting the unedited disclaimer either in their signature or just at the end of their posts.

EDIT: :lol: My bad. I just realized that the disclaimer doesn't state what I thought it did. :oops:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#179 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:01 am

rainstorm wrote:season may be ending early based on the models

Based on what models and why??
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#180 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:03 am

rainstorm wrote:season may be ending early based on the models

Check the "Global Models Runs Discussion thread" at Talking Tropics forum.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=104813&p=2272987#p2272987
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “2012”