ATL: FIONA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

flwxwatcher
Category 4
Category 4

Re: ATL: 97L - Models

#781 Postby flwxwatcher » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 pm

It looks like Fiona might be one of those storms that has people pulling their hair out. First the issue of does Fiona survive or will the system get to close to Earl and get absorbed like some models are showing. The EURO has been steadfast on keeping Fiona far enough away from Earl that over time it survives and strengthens. Right now I think it's impossible to say if Fiona survives what the track might be. Anywhere along the SE Coast seems in play. depending on how far North she gets before any bend back to the West might occur. Interesting to see how this unfolds the coming days.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#782 Postby Ivanhater » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 pm

BAMD 16.9N 60.9W 19.3N 67.6W 20.2N 72.9W 19.0N 78.6W

Deepening system heading SW , like the Euro is showing.
0 likes   
Michael

Orlando_wx
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#783 Postby Orlando_wx » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:47 pm

SouthFLTropics wrote:
caneseddy wrote:So the Euro is back to the solution it had this weekend, with landfall into the Southeast

So let's see...we've had the Euro go into SC, Port. St. Lucie, Cuba/Louisiana, fish, Georgia

Also, that is one monster high planted in the SE

If I had to guess the ultimate answer will lie somewhere in between...Which the midpoint between the SC landfall and a Cuba/Lousiana landfall would be somewhere along the FL East Coast...Unfortunately... :eek:

SFT

This is what DT was talking about on his main page
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#784 Postby BigB0882 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:48 pm

I think this idea of a curve NW and then a band back West and even SW is a good possibility. The question will undoubtedly be "how far N does she get before the turn?" That could be the difference between a East Coast landfall and a FL landfall that gets into the Gulf! Huge difference there.
0 likes   

Vortex
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#785 Postby Vortex » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:51 pm

ivan when do the ensembles come out for the euro?
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#786 Postby Ivanhater » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:53 pm

Vortex wrote:ivan when do the ensembles come out for the euro?

About an hour...
0 likes   
Michael

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#787 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Yep, We shouldn't see any "recurve for sure" posts when it comes to Fiona, especially since
out of the 3, Fiona would be the LEAST likely to recurve, hence the modelS that haven't even
come to a consensus on it, plus, like others have mentioned, the strength will be a big player in the direction.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#788 Postby fci » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:07 pm

I just don't buy a system moving to the West towards South Carolina or Georgia.
It's just counter-intuitive and climatologically illogical.
I know you "climatology-haters" don't accept when one leans on it, but short of actual dynamics, it is a good default.
We do sometimes see the "bump into a ridge" and W or SW track towards South Florida but once a system gets north of Florida, I just don't see it. We have seen a stall or meandering offshore while a system waits for a trough to pick it up, but that too is pretty rare.
Just my opinion and based on many, many years of watching.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#789 Postby Blown Away » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Ivanhater wrote:Make that a Georgia hit continue due west inland.

Well we all know that landfall is a very very low probability, but it seems if Fiona develops she is going to be blocked per the EURO. One thing for sure if the EURO is correct with Fiona becoming an EC or GOM storm, I will become a EURO believer because most of the other models say out to sea. I guess if you can't beat the Texas EURO huggers you might as well join them! :lol:
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#790 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:21 pm

fci wrote:I just don't buy a system moving to the West towards South Carolina or Georgia.
I know you "climatology-haters" don't accept when one leans on it, but short of actual dynamics, it is a good default.
We do sometimes see the "bump into a ridge" and W or SW track towards South Florida but once a system gets north of Florida, I just don't see it. We have seen a stall or meandering offshore while a system waits for a trough to pick it up, but that too is pretty rare.

I can understand where you are coming from. I don't think that anyone thinks
that 97L has high odds of affecting the US. I think the odds in fact are pretty slim,
based upon climatalogy. But I do believe that the odds are greater than Earl and Danielle.

Keep in mind that it's not even a name system yet. What if the system were take slower to develop into a
tropical storm? You have to keep that in mind to when looking at the track.
0 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#791 Postby CourierPR » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:25 pm

fci wrote:I just don't buy a system moving to the West towards South Carolina or Georgia.
Your post brings to mind Hurricane Betsy in 1965 which was poised to affect Georgia and the Carolinas but got trapped by high pressure and came back southwest over Key Largo and into the Gulf. It certainly made for an exciting Labor Day weekend around these parts.
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#792 Postby BigB0882 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Well I think at this point it is much better to focus on the trends that on the actual landfalls, especially of a system that hasn't even formed yet. The trend that the EURO sees is a strong ridge that will be able to push this back west or even southwest. When, where and to what degree all remain to be seen but the EURO has been sniffing out this idea for quite a few runs now but each time it has played out differently.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#793 Postby x-y-no » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:28 pm

CourierPR wrote:Your post brings to mind Hurricane Betsy in 1965 which was poised to affect Georgia and the Carolinas but got trapped by high pressure and came back southwest over Key Largo and into the Gulf. It certainly made for an exciting Labor Day weekend around these parts.

I immediately thought of Betsy too:

One of my favorite crazy tracks.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting anything that extreme will happen with "Fiona"
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#794 Postby fci » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:39 pm

x-y-no wrote:
CourierPR wrote:Your post brings to mind Hurricane Betsy in 1965 which was poised to affect Georgia and the Carolinas but got trapped by high pressure and came back southwest over Key Largo and into the Gulf. It certainly made for an exciting Labor Day weekend around these parts.

I immediately thought of Betsy too:

One of my favorite crazy tracks.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting anything that extreme will happen with "Fiona"

Betsy was the storm that really turned me into a hurricane nut. I was a little kid listening to every advisory, every 2 hours when my parents told me nothing would change in just 2 hours and to calm down.
Then in like an intermediate advisory at 2 PM, they realized she was going to loop and turn around.
It was amazing.
We were under a hurricane warning for an exceedingly long time as she decided exactly where to come ashore.
The Northern Bahamas were under hurricane conditions for about 2 days (or so it seemed). Not unlike Cancun with Wilma.

Can you even imagine what S2K would be like if a "Betsy" happened, here in the Internet age?
Thousands of users and really bad server issues I suspect
And, I presume a bunch of suspensions and bannings with Mods begging for a break!!
0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FIONA - Models

#795 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Right now the NHC has almost the same track for FIONA as EARL. No discussion yet.
Last edited by HURRICANELONNY on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

GTStorm
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#796 Postby GTStorm » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:48 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:Yep, We shouldn't see any "recurve for sure" posts when it comes to Fiona, especially since
out of the 3, Fiona would be the LEAST likely to recurve, hence the modelS that haven't even
come to a consensus on it, plus, like others have mentioned, the strength will be a big player in the direction.

No, unfortunately we'll be getting the "no really all the data says it's coming MY way" posts
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#797 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Ivanhater wrote:Yall gotta stop being so quick to think recurve when trying to guess what the run is showing :wink:

Euro still building a strong high and pushes it back west toward South Carolina...

Yep I stand corrected. :D
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#798 Postby ROCK » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Blown Away wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:Make that a Georgia hit continue due west inland.

Well we all know that landfall is a very very low probability, but it seems if Fiona develops she is going to be blocked per the EURO. One thing for sure if the EURO is correct with Fiona becoming an EC or GOM storm, I will become a EURO believer because most of the other models say out to sea. I guess if you can't beat the Texas EURO huggers you might as well join them! :lol:

got you a EURO seat right next to me, WX warrior and soon to be Ivan... :lol:
0 likes   

Vortex
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#799 Postby Vortex » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:27 pm

anyone have the 12Z euro ensembles..can't pull up until later.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FIONA - Models

#800 Postby ROCK » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 pm

at 144hr Fiona is in the Bahamas...not really strong....fork in the road here...

0 likes   

Return to “2010”