CD Lens Cleaner

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ColdFront77

CD Lens Cleaner

#1 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:02 pm

I just purchased a CD Lens Cleaner this afternoon and when I put it into my CD-ROM to use, I am unable to play it.

Does anyone have any idea why? Thank you in advance.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#2 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:10 pm

Depends -- where'd you buy it?

Had a friend who worked in a video store and they had a display box with "Video Head Cleaner" bottles in it. But he informed me that it really wasn't anything that you'd want to use on your VCR. Instead, it was actually some form of nitrous or something weird like that that people sniff. I asked how in the world they could sell that like that. He said it was something I'd have to take up with the owner. Of course, it wasn't Blockbuster. It was one of those small video stores with "adult" videos in a back room.

Not questioning where you shop or anything. Just warning you. When I saw those bottles, it was a good 6 years ago. Since more people use DVD's now, maybe they've changed how they're labeled to reflect the times.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#3 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:55 pm

I purchased this "CD Lens Cleaner" at Wal-Mart. It is only a CD... next to them on the shelf were there were "CD Cleaning Kit" that included small bottles of solution.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#4 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:50 pm

Oh, whew!

Well, I have no idea then. Sorry...wish I could help.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#5 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:51 pm

Anybody have any idea what the problem may be?

Thank you in advance.
0 likes   

hurricanedude
Military Member
Military Member

#6 Postby hurricanedude » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:43 pm

Lens cleaners are for CD players only..IE car CD player, home CD player....walkman cd player, they are not made for PC'S
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#7 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:51 pm

That makes sense, Hurricanedude, however, there are websites and other text I read that says to get a "CD Lens Cleaner" to clean you computer's CD-ROM.

We must not know what they are talking about. I guess I will never be able to the CD-ROM on the computer I currently use every again.

It is going on three weeks since I was last able to use a CD on my computer.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:31 pm

The CD Lens cleaners are generally a waste of time. The only thing they can fix is if a bit of cust has gotten on the laser's lens. More than likely you've eother had a laser failure or some other type of electrical failure on the CD. You can get a CD-RW drive at Best Buy for 39.00. :-)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#9 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:33 pm

I purchased a "CD-ROM Cleaner" this afternoon (at Wal-Mart, again) and restarted my computer twice while it was in the "D drive" and it doesn't work. I also tried "playing" the disc and no luck.

It doesn't come with instructions, either; not like that would make a difference.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#10 Postby weatherlover427 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:59 pm

My CD burner drive is a combo CD burner / player drive. :) Try that Tom. Mine only cost $49.99 at Best Buy. :)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#11 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:46 pm

I rather get to the bottom of the problem. I am lucky I got the "CD Lens Cleaner" and was happy to find the "CD-ROM Len Cleaner" today, thinking it was going to work. Soon, hopefully... I will be getting another computer. Not sure how soon.
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”