Ex Invest 93L in Central Atlantic

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Derek Ortt

#41 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 am

the convection is not firing over the center

it is firing in a band ahead of the center. Not the most favorable setup here either
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby KWT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:58 am

Yeah in fact its a little like what 92L was like I reckon Derek. Still needs careful watching as its pretty low in latitude and the fact its so far east means its got plenty of time to do something.

as for the models, usually they are ok when it comes to tropical cycone formation but they have missed some totally before like Felix.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#43 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:02 am

howeve,r the fact that the models were indicating TC genesis and have now backed of is telling that there is something indicating development is not likely
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby KWT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:04 am

Could it just be that the models hits it so hard with shear in its first 24hrs of the run that it kills off the system totally whilst in the real world the shear only holds back and doesn't stop development I wonder?
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: ATL: Invest 93L in East Atlantic

#45 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:16 am

Looks like some convection starting to form closer to apparent center, and kind of wrapping in.

Judging from SSD "Central Atlantic" loop. I hope a dedicated floater is set up for it shortly.

Off to the gym, perhaps when I return, maybe Derek will have a floater loop on his site linked here for our edification and education.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#46 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:26 am

93L is now included in the Tropical Cyclone Formation Graphic:

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#47 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 am

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/loop-vis.html

From a distance it sure looks like it's starting to wind up.

but looking at the AVN

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/loop-avn.html

The convection around what appears to be the circulation is rapidly dying. Much like 92 I think this will mostly poof by this afternoon.
0 likes   

hurricanetrack
HurricaneTrack.com
HurricaneTrack.com

#48 Postby hurricanetrack » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:36 am

So what happened? The GFS especially was quite bullish on what is now 93L and it looked for a few runs there like we might not hear from Luis again until Xmas with the likes of the hurricane it had near P.R. Now, it looks doubtful that either of these two will develop- at least not yet. So that begs the question- why? We can throw out "because it is the model NCEP" as I remember other models showing robust development out of this system too. So a suite of models was on and now they are somewhat off, but not totally. What happened? What new information are the models "seeing" that has "changed their minds"? I know that tropical cyclogenesis is hard to predict but this is interesting and I, among others I am sure, would like to understand better why the model guidance acts like this sometimes. Who knows- perhaps we will see something like Felix last season where by there is a strong hurricane in the real world but a hump on the isobars on the GFS. Thoughts?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#49 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:55 am

:uarrow: Mark,I back your statement 100%.I add this:

Reposted from 93L Model Runs thread.

What has happened that suddenly the models are backing off on development in the Atlantic,Those GFS latest runs look dead.Has the Atlantic turned unfavorable at the time the peak of the season starts? I think that the folks that do the forecasts for the different private and goverment entities have to be a little nervous about this as August looks like not an active month.September has to be very active to make ground from the not so active August.Ok,I will stop here,however, I am not downgrading the season,but I only base these words on what is happening now.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Im looking at derek with a funny look on my face.....??? :uarrow: :uarrow:

93l well on its way to a depression!!
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#51 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 pm

ABNT20 KNHC 111732
TWOAT
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
200 PM EDT MON AUG 11 2008

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE IS
LOCATED OVER THE CENTRAL ATLANTIC OCEAN ABOUT 825 MILES EAST OF
THE WINDWARD ISLANDS. ALTHOUGH SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY
REMAINS LIMITED AT THIS TIME...ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS APPEAR
FAVORABLE FOR GRADUAL DEVELOPMENT...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS THE
POTENTIAL TO BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF
DAYS AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH.

A LARGE AREA OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH A BROAD
LOW PRESSURE AREA IS CENTERED ABOUT 400 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE
CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. THIS SYSTEM HAS BECOME A LITTLE BETTER
ORGANIZED TODAY...AND A TROPICAL DEPRESSION COULD FORM DURING THE
NEXT DAY OR TWO AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT ABOUT 10 MPH.

ELSEWHERE.. TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS.

$$
FORECASTER PASCH/STEWART
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#52 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Looks like some convection starting to form closer to apparent center, and kind of wrapping in.

Judging from SSD "Central Atlantic" loop. I hope a dedicated floater is set up for it shortly.

Off to the gym, perhaps when I return, maybe Derek will have a floater loop on his site linked here for our edification and education.

I just kept the system in the invest_08 floater
0 likes   

Scorpion

#53 Postby Scorpion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Not sure what's going on with this season.. I mean if things can't get going now when will they? The GFS shows absolutely nothing for the rest of the month. This season is rapidly getting disappointing.
0 likes   

Bane
Category 2
Category 2

#54 Postby Bane » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm

y'all are funny. we have already had 5 storms this year with 3 directly affecting the US. what a disappointing season none of them were cat 5s. :roll:
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#55 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:01 pm

0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#56 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:08 pm

hurricanetrack wrote:So what happened? The GFS especially was quite bullish on what is now 93L and it looked for a few runs there like we might not hear from Luis again until Xmas with the likes of the hurricane it had near P.R. Now, it looks doubtful that either of these two will develop- at least not yet. So that begs the question- why? We can throw out "because it is the model NCEP" as I remember other models showing robust development out of this system too. So a suite of models was on and now they are somewhat off, but not totally. What happened? What new information are the models "seeing" that has "changed their minds"? I know that tropical cyclogenesis is hard to predict but this is interesting and I, among others I am sure, would like to understand better why the model guidance acts like this sometimes. Who knows- perhaps we will see something like Felix last season where by there is a strong hurricane in the real world but a hump on the isobars on the GFS. Thoughts?

This is not a surprise to me at all.

remember, the GFS NEVER had any consistency between runs. It was always developing a different feature in each run. That is why I was sounding the phantom cane alert over the week-end.

If I had to assign a percentage, I'd only give this a 10-15% chance of developing
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#57 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:10 pm

From 2 PM Discussion:

A 1011 MB BROAD LOW PRES AREA IS LOCATED OVER THE EASTERN
ATLANTIC NEAR 11N29W. VIS SAT IMAGERY SHOWS SOME SIGNS OF
BANDING...INDICATING THAT THE SYSTEM HAS BECOME A LITTLE BETTER
ORGANIZED TODAY. A LARGE AREA OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS
ACCOMPANIES THIS LOW...AND A TROPICAL DEPRESSION COULD FORM
DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT ABOUT 10
MPH.

http://asp1.sbs.ohio-state.edu/tropical ... scussions/

0 likes   

Derek Ortt

Re:

#58 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:Im looking at derek with a funny look on my face.....??? :uarrow: :uarrow:

93l well on its way to a depression!!

No, it is not. We have no convection near the weakening MLC.

Some friendly advice (hoping this sounds friendly, lol). Few systems become a TD, Aric. I have noticed that you sometimes jump the gun on development. If everything developed that you predicted, we'd be up to the T storm already. Need to be a tad bit more conservative. I can guarantee you then, that your accuracy will improve by leaps and bounds.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#59 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:15 pm

"Splain me this please. What do you see that makes you give it a low percentage chance of developing when the NHC is saying it could become a TD within a few days? I am talking synoptics, etc. here as opposed to what the NHC generally has to say due to the parameters put on them.

I posted this while the others above it were asking the question quicker. Can you go into more detail?
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#60 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:23 pm

0 likes   

Return to “2008”