ATL: Tropical Depression Fay

Moderator: S2k Moderators

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#13301 Postby funster » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Fay is still fairly close to the coastline. Hope she's not thinking about wandering back into the Gulf again. http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#13302 Postby Shockwave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:54 pm

funster wrote:Fay is still fairly close to the coastline. Hope she's not thinking about wandering back into the Gulf again. http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php

From looking at the radar you porvided, I agree. That'd be worst case senerio at this point if that where to happen. But it's not impossible for her to do that.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Tropical Depression Fay

#13303 Postby jinftl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Wow...still pretty impressive...florida has 1197 statute miles of coastline...fay really had a thing for the sunshine state!

SimplyHavingFun wrote:
jinftl wrote:So did Fay actually end up causing some type of watch or warning to be issued around the entire coast of Florida at one point or another? I know it was close if not 100%. Has that ever happened before for any storm?

I believe the only area that did not recieve any watches or warnings was about a 50 mile stretch from Tarpon Springs to Aripeka. And we happen to live along that stretch! At our house we didn't get any measurable amount of rain until yesterday, finally getting 2.5". Our sod we put down is happy now. :)
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#13304 Postby jinftl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:56 pm

steve lyons mentioned that on twc earlier but he didn't seem to think it would be too much cause for concern as a NE motion is expected before long.

Shockwave wrote:
funster wrote:Fay is still fairly close to the coastline. Hope she's not thinking about wandering back into the Gulf again. http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php

From looking at the radar you porvided, I agree. That'd be worst case senerio at this point if that where to happen. But it's not impossible for her to do that.
0 likes   

M_0331
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13305 Postby M_0331 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Do you all think the Carolina's have a chance of getting Fay's remnants down the road?
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13306 Postby Shockwave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:59 pm

jinftl wrote:steve lyons mentioned that on twc earlier but he didn't seem to think it would be too much cause for concern as a NE motion is expected before long.

Shockwave wrote:

I thought the forecast was it too stall Monday in SE LA and then move NE. Is Fay still ahead of schedule or is she not going to stall in SE LA at all now? If she's not ahead of schedule, she still has a day or so to keep moving SE before the NE turn.
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13307 Postby Shockwave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:00 pm

M_0331 wrote:Do you all think the Carolina's have a chance of getting Fay's remnants down the road?

TWC thinks so in there 7-Day Planner, they even think areas in the NE will see some of her rain. I agree with them too. It may not be alot, but the people in the Carolinas might see some mositure from Fay sometime towards the end of next week.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

#13308 Postby jinftl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:04 pm

twc just said rainfall more spotty as dry air has moved in...threat of tornadoes in alabama and sw georgia...wind advisories for central alabama...no mention of return to water....but update wasn't from steve lyons...he is usually has a bit more substance in his updates
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13309 Postby Shockwave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:09 pm

First tornado from Fay today in AL. Don't know how strong or what, but this storm has been good for tornadic activity since the get-go.

AT 201 PM CDT...EMA REPORTED A TORNADO ON THE GROUND!! THIS TORNADO
WAS LOCATED 8 MILES SOUTHEAST OF MITCHELL DAM...OR ABOUT 15 MILES
NORTHWEST OF WETUMPKA...MOVING NORTH AT 24 MPH.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13310 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:09 pm

>>Do you all think the Carolina's have a chance of getting Fay's remnants down the road?

Probably. I think coastal SC has been forgotten in Fay. They got a bunch of outer bands, tornados and such. There were some bands still setting up this morning with the onshore flow and inflow into Fay.
0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13311 Postby Stormcenter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Who yesterday said Fay wasn't going to cause any rain for SE LA.?
My brother said it's been rain like cats and dogs all day in N.O. By the way,
the models have not done a great job with Fay so I would bet on that
NE motion. JMHO
0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13312 Postby Stormcenter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:08 pm

This is still a very impressive looking system.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-vis.html
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13313 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Shockwave wrote:

What? Fay close to the coast? It's over 100 miles inland in south-central Mississippi northeast of McComb. Just a weak remnant low. Look at surface obs to find the center, not radar that's looking 10,000+ feet above the surface:

http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mesonet/

Oh, and Slidell radar indicates max precip in the 1-2 inch rain north of Baton Rouge into southern MS north of LA. New Orleans rainfall generally under 0.2 inches.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#13314 Postby jinftl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:11 pm

In comparison to what parts of florida saw....10, 20, even 30 inches or rain, what se la will see is not a big deal....but certainly a few inches of rain can cause some minor flooding in se la.

So far today, the New Orleans International airport in Kenner hasn't even had a half inch of rain...surely there is more to come though.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KMSY.html

Stormcenter wrote:Who yesterday said Fay wasn't going to cause any rain for SE LA.?
NE motion. JMHO
Last edited by jinftl on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#13315 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:15 pm

Stormcenter wrote:Who yesterday said Fay wasn't going to cause any rain for SE LA.?
NE motion. JMHO

I said most likely the rain would be under an inch in New Orleans, possibly 1-2 inches. So far max rain reported 0.31 inches at Lakefront. Slidell Doppler radar indicates peak rain about 1/2 inch south and southwest of MSY. I wouldn't call that raining cats and dogs.

Z-TIME ---- WIND ---- Prevailing Temp- Lowest Flight
ICAO DY/HRMN DIR-SPD GST Visibility erature Dew Point Ceiling Rules
---- ------- -------------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -------- ------
KMSY 24/1753 260-019 KT 030 0003.00SM 73F( 23C) 69F( 21C) 1800FT MVFR

Cloud Cover : Few 1300 Feet, Broken 1800 Feet, Overcast 3100 Feet
Weather : Rain , Mist
Automated Observation Type: AO2
Altimeter (Inches) : 29.76
Peak Wind: 270 deg at 35KT Time: 17:21
Sea Level Pressure (hPa): 1008.2
Hourly PRECIP (INCHES) : 0.06
3 and 6HR PRECIP (INCHES) : 0.17

Z-TIME ---- WIND ---- Prevailing Temp- Lowest Flight
ICAO DY/HRMN DIR-SPD GST Visibility erature Dew Point Ceiling Rules
---- ------- -------------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -------- ------
KNEW 24/1753 260-033 KT 041 0003.00SM 73F( 23C) 69F( 21C) 1500FT MVFR

Cloud Cover : Broken 1500 Feet
Weather : Rain , Mist
Automated Observation Type: AO2
Altimeter (Inches) : 29.74
Peak Wind: 260 deg at 42KT Time: 17:26
Sea Level Pressure (hPa): 1007.1
Hourly PRECIP (INCHES) : 0.13
3 and 6HR PRECIP (INCHES) : 0.31
0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13316 Postby Stormcenter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:17 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

What? Fay close to the coast? It's over 100 miles inland in south-central Mississippi northeast of McComb. Just a weak remnant low. Look at surface obs to find the center, not radar that's looking 10,000+ feet above the surface:

Oh, and Slidell radar indicates max precip in the 1-2 inch rain north of Baton Rouge into southern MS north of LA. New Orleans rainfall generally under 0.2 inches.

That will more then likely will change for the Big Easy.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.ph ... 1&loop=yes
0 likes   

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#13317 Postby funster » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:22 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

It sure looks like it is moving closer to the center on the radar. I'm glad to know that isn't the actual center but just an impressive looking faux center. http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13318 Postby tailgater » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Looks like she's gone Angular
J/J 57
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Tropical Storm Fay in Florida Panhandle

#13319 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:25 pm

wxman57 wrote:Fay's really being torn apart now. MLC is way up in central Alabama, leaving only a remnant swirl in southern AL near 31.2N/87.1W. Appears to be moving NW or NNW now. Safe to say nothing in the way of heavy rain for southern MS or New Orleans.

I admit, I agreed with you on this one, but, boy were we wayyy off---heavy rain is moving into New Orleans and predictions are 10 inches in the next 48 hours. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. You still offer valuable input to this community, IMO. Thanks!
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Tropical Storm Fay in Florida Panhandle

#13320 Postby jinftl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:30 pm

My grandmother lives in Jefferson Parish...with that amount of rain...hopefully the pumps won't be abandoned like they were during katrina!

Sean in New Orleans wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Fay's really being torn apart now. MLC is way up in central Alabama, leaving only a remnant swirl in southern AL near 31.2N/87.1W. Appears to be moving NW or NNW now. Safe to say nothing in the way of heavy rain for southern MS or New Orleans.

I admit, I agreed with you on this one, but, boy were we wayyy off---heavy rain is moving into New Orleans and predictions are 10 inches in the next 48 hours. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. You still offer valuable input to this community, IMO. Thanks!
0 likes   

Return to “2008”