ATL: Tropical Depression Fay

Moderator: S2k Moderators

attallaman

Re:

#13281 Postby attallaman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:59 am

Steve wrote:>>It's 9:45 a.m. here in Biloxi, where is the center of what was once TS Fay now located? Kind of breezy here but not much rain.

Go back up to Frank P's post. It may be a hair west of his circle now, but that's where the low level circulation is. Maybe somewhere in the corridor between Meridian and Hattiesburg IMHO.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php
Thanks. Is that feeder band activity I'm seeing up in Tennessee?
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Tropical Depression Fay

#13282 Postby sunny » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:00 am

Winds are picking up here - 20mph with gusts up to 28. Beginning to rain, too.
0 likes   

attallaman

#13283 Postby attallaman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:09 am

Temperature here in Biloxi under mostly cloudy skies is 73 degrees, winds are out of the WSW at 21 gusting to 31, relative humidity is 88%, barometric pressure is 29.70 and we have received 0.07" of precipitation within the last 24 hours, information courtesy of Accuweather.
0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13284 Postby stormy1970al » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:10 am

I hope these are okay to post here since they are from the Storm yesterday in Alabama.

0 likes   

attallaman

#13285 Postby attallaman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:16 am

stormy1970al wrote:I hope these are okay to post here since they are from the Storm yesterday in Alabama.

Nice pics.
0 likes   

attallaman

Re:

#13286 Postby attallaman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:18 am

Steve wrote:>>It's 9:45 a.m. here in Biloxi, where is the center of what was once TS Fay now located? Kind of breezy here but not much rain.

Go back up to Frank P's post. It may be a hair west of his circle now, but that's where the low level circulation is. Maybe somewhere in the corridor between Meridian and Hattiesburg IMHO.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php
So Steve what's the next system we need to start watching?
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13287 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:21 am

Great pics showing how the north winds can blow the water out on the western side. Will take a few down here in Lockport today should they be warranted. Just 12mph breezes maybe gusting to 18 and drizzly down this way.

>>Thanks. Is that feeder band activity I'm seeing up in Tennessee?

I think that is some of the mid-level energy that split off from the system and appears to be rotating around the periphery of Fay's remnants (think that energy might have been what was over Tallahassee yesterday). That's my guess anyway by looking at the regional loop.

Steve

*edit*

>>So Steve what's the next system we need to start watching?

I don't know. I'm thinking 94l is likely to be on the map for someone, but I've been watching Fay for over a week and haven't paid that much attention to anything else. Appears a trough down on the east coast will not recurve 94l but may help draw her toward the wnw or nw in the near term. Looks like a threat to someone in the southeast next weekend. We're getting to that time of the year (peak being +/- September 9th or 10th) where everything needs to be watched - particularly anything coming out of the Caribbean. Looks like the peak of the season will depend on what happens in the SW Atlantic and where potential threats and invests are in relation to a building or ebbing Bermuda Ridge enhanced by highs coming off the eastern US.
0 likes   

attallaman

Re:

#13288 Postby attallaman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:27 am

Steve wrote:Great pics showing how the north winds can blow the water out on the western side. Will take a few down here in Lockport today should they be warranted. Just 12mph breezes maybe gusting to 18 and drizzly down this way.

>>Thanks. Is that feeder band activity I'm seeing up in Tennessee?

I think that is some of the mid-level energy that split off from the system and appears to be rotating around the periphery of Fay's remnants (think that energy might have been what was over Tallahassee yesterday). That's my guess anyway by looking at the regional loop.

Steve

*edit*

>>So Steve what's the next system we need to start watching?

I don't know. I'm thinking 94l is likely to be on the map for someone, but I've been watching Fay for over a week and haven't paid that much attention to anything else. Appears a trough down on the east coast will not recurve 94l but may help draw her toward the wnw or nw in the near term. Looks like a threat to someone in the southeast next weekend. We're getting to that time of the year (peak being +/- September 9th or 10th) where everything needs to be watched - particularly anything coming out of the Caribbean. Looks like the peak of the season will depend on what happens in the SW Atlantic and where potential threats and invests are in relation to a building or ebbing Bermuda Ridge enhanced by highs coming off the eastern US.
Thanks again.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13289 Postby canetracker » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:29 am

sunny wrote:Winds are picking up here - 20mph with gusts up to 28. Beginning to rain, too.

Same here condition wise. Also, if this mornings 06z runs of the GFS and UKMET are correct we could be stuck in these types of conditions for a while.
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13290 Postby BigB0882 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:30 am

Fay, or what is left of her, has shown up in Baton Rouge. Lots of rain but none of it too heavy, just continual. Gusty winds, weather.com lists our winds at 16 mph with slightly higher gusts. I honestly thought we might have escaped Fay and not even get much rain. From the radar it looks like we are smack in the middle of this rain, so it should last a while. At least it isn't coming down really hard so it has time to drain away.
0 likes   

yzerfan
Category 2
Category 2

#13291 Postby yzerfan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:34 am

Sunny and dry with a light breeze here. Hate to say it, but I was hoping we'd get a little more rain than we ended up getting.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#13292 Postby sunny » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:09 pm

canetracker wrote:
sunny wrote:Winds are picking up here - 20mph with gusts up to 28. Beginning to rain, too.

Same here condition wise. Also, if this mornings 06z runs of the GFS and UKMET are correct we could be stuck in these types of conditions for a while.

I'm watching the winds pick up even more! Now at 30mph with gusts up to 38.
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13293 Postby Shockwave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm still waiting on Fay's rain arrival here in Middle TN. The rain is dying once it crosses the AL/TN line due to our dry air. Nashville's DP is at 64F right now, while Huntsville's and Birmingham's DP is at 72F and 74F respectively. I guess the more mositure feed the get in from Fay, the higher our DP's will climb and we will see rain.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

#13294 Postby jinftl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:41 pm

So did Fay actually end up causing some type of watch or warning to be issued around the entire coast of Florida at one point or another? I know it was close if not 100%. Has that ever happened before for any storm?
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13295 Postby baygirl_1 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Great pics, stormy1970al! Thanks! I wish I could've captured a video of how fast the clouds were moving here yesterday evening. My son said they could've won an Olympic race! My sister and her family spent time together in their basement last night as tornadoes threatened their area in East Central Alabama. Ironically, they got (and are still getting, it seems) worse weather than we have on the coast! However, they are telling us that we could get some heavy rain after midnight and into tomorrow. Indeed, we have has some pretty good rains today. Here's a link to our local radar: http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MOB&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
0 likes   

SimplyHavingFun
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13296 Postby SimplyHavingFun » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:57 pm

jinftl wrote:So did Fay actually end up causing some type of watch or warning to be issued around the entire coast of Florida at one point or another? I know it was close if not 100%. Has that ever happened before for any storm?

I believe the only area that did not recieve any watches or warnings was about a 50 mile stretch from Tarpon Springs to Aripeka. And we happen to live along that stretch! At our house we didn't get any measurable amount of rain until yesterday, finally getting 2.5". Our sod we put down is happy now. :)
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13297 Postby canetracker » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:08 pm

sunny wrote:
canetracker wrote:

I'm watching the winds pick up even more! Now at 30mph with gusts up to 38.

Well maybe she is entraining some GOM moisture giving her a boost. This is a very impressive remnant low: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-vis.html

BTW: We are under a wind advisory: http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=la&prodtype=allwarnings
Last edited by canetracker on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13298 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:09 pm

Lakefront observation: W 37 G 46 3.00 Light Rain Fog/Mist and Windy BKN015 75 71 29.75 1007.5 0.05

Gale warning on Lake Pontchartrain with winds to and above tropical storm force. That happened during Dennis, but it gets pretty windy on the lake at times.

Steve
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13299 Postby Shockwave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Our wind has gradually incresesed a bit from what it was an hour or so ago. We have a rain blob from Fay moving up my way that I hope we get. We have more mositure now then what I previously posted. You can feel the humidity now unlike it was when I got out of church at around 11:00.
0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13300 Postby stormy1970al » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 pm

baygirl_1 wrote:Great pics, stormy1970al! Thanks! I wish I could've captured a video of how fast the clouds were moving here yesterday evening. My son said they could've won an Olympic race! My sister and her family spent time together in their basement last night as tornadoes threatened their area in East Central Alabama. Ironically, they got (and are still getting, it seems) worse weather than we have on the coast! However, they are telling us that we could get some heavy rain after midnight and into tomorrow. Indeed, we have has some pretty good rains today. Here's a link to our local radar: http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MOB&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

My best friend and roommate from my days at Auburn still lives there with her husband and children. She works at the hospital and she was telling me that they had already had 3 tornado warnings that night. Rough weather for her.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”