Armageddon??? Deep Impact??

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ed Mahmoud

Re: Armageddon??? Deep Impact??

#21 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:29 am

Aslkahuna wrote:Don't know if it hit in NYC exactly, but yes it was videotaped from a football stadium where a game was in progress. The car was owned by a teenaged girl and the trunk was pretty mangled.

Steve

That must have made for an interesting insurance claim...
0 likes   

Cyclone1
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#22 Postby Cyclone1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:44 am

Extremeweatherguy wrote:
Cyclone1 wrote:I was driving home, happened to look up at the exact right time, and saw it. I had a friend driving in front of me, we pulled over and confirmed that we had indeed both seen it. It was crazy, I couldn't believe what I had just seen. I got home, saw the news article, but was surprised to hear Canada...
When did your incident occur? Because the Canadian fireball mentioned in the article above happened last Thursday night.

Really?!

There were definitley two meteors, then. I saw it Saturday night, 6 pm. I guess my friend and I were the only two witnesses to that one. Wow...
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#23 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:48 pm

I wonder if they found the meteorite that hit that teenagers car?

The scientists pay a very pretty penny for them (farmers and ranchers will be eyeballing the ground carefully for quite awhile)

Meteor likely broke on entry
Scientists, collectors scramble to locate fallen space debris
Hanneke Brooymans, with files from Richard Cuthbertson, Calgary Herald , Edmonton Journal
Published: Saturday, November 22, 2008

A fireball spotted by hundreds of people Thursday likely broke into pieces that landed around the Alberta-Saskatchewan border, said a Calgary meteorite expert.

More than 400 people reported seeing the object, said Alan Hildebrand, co-ordinator of the Canadian Fireball Reporting Centre at the University of Calgary. This is by a large margin a record response and it was a tremendous help in narrowing down the fall area, he added.

The scientist estimates the rock that hurtled into the atmosphere likely weighed between one and ten tons. Such large fireballs are rare, he said, with only a couple streaking over Canadian skies a year.

"This is literally a billion watt bulb in the sky," he said.

"That doesn't happen every day. This thing was illuminating the ground over hundreds of kilometres."

Hildebrand said he was heading for the possible meteorite fall site Friday evening. He wants to talk to people in the area while their memories of the fireball are still fresh. He also wants to review security camera footage that may have caught the meteor on tape before they deleted.

Hundreds of little meteorites probably fell from the fireball as it tore across the sky, Hildebrand said.

The meteor expert is especially interested in hearing from people in the Wainwright, Provost, Chauvin and Ribstone areas. (Anyone with specific information from that area can report a sighting to http://miac.uqac.ca or can leave a message for Hildebrand at (403) 220-2291.)

The meteor that fell through the sky may have broken into hundreds of meteorites of various sizes. Landowners should look on their property for unusually shaped dark grey or black rocks that are denser than average rocks.

Frank Florian thinks the search for the meteorite is at the mercy of Mother Nature.

"As soon as the snow falls, there's no chance of finding anything until springtime," said Florian, community astronomer at the Telus World of Science.

The brightness of the fireball may have misled people into thinking it fell close by, Florian said.

While hundreds of people reported seeing the meteor, Chris Herd is anxiously awaiting a report from someone who found a piece of it.

"The sooner it's picked up the better, for scientific reasons," said Herd, a University of Alberta associate professor of earth and atmospheric sciences.

Meteorites that aren't quickly recovered become weathered and rusty and less representative of their original composition and elemental make-up.

The vast majority of meteorites come from an asteroid belt of rocks between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, he said.

Rocks are liberated from their belt every now and then when the orbit of Jupiter disrupts the orbit of the rocks and sends propels them towards the sun. Meteors can spend millions of years going around the sun before eventually being drawn into the gravitational pull of the Earth.

Robert Haag has made a living for the past 30 years buying and selling meteorites and other space debris that has fallen to Earth.

The American meteorite collector is offering $10,000 to anyone who can locate the first one-kilogram chunk of the meteorite that fell in the region Thursday evening.

He says the people with the best chance of finding the fireball are the ones who heard the sonic boom made by the falling meteorite chunks.

"If you hear that, then you're probably within 30 kilometres of it," Haag said.

Even luckier would be to see the physical evidence firsthand.

"The best thing you can hope for," Haag added, "is someone saying, 'What the hell happened to my tractor?' or 'Who put a hole in my chicken coop?' "

The University of Calgary's Hildebrand said he guesses the rock might have dropped southwest of Manitou Lake in western Saskatchewan and he is heading to the area to speak with witnesses.

"Typically what we're able to do is to narrow it down to a township or two and then you (let the) landowners in those areas know they may have meteorites in their field," he said.
http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=982880

It was reported that while this certainly isn't a rare occurrence it is one that still isn't often seen. Many fall in daylight hours or in the dead of night or when there is complete cloud cover so sighting one like the above still fell into a probable once in a life time occurrence.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#24 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:17 pm

BTW if you ever happen to find one it pays to shop around for a buyer. $10,000 could be a rip off because the fellow mentioned above resells and some meteorites have a rare composition that makes them much more valuable (my husband pointed this out because his family knew one fellow that made a lot more money than that by having his rock tested prior to selling).

Soon this will happen to any of the rocks that fell :froze: (well the disappearing part at least.....until spring thaw).
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#25 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:07 am

A tale of two meteorites

Alberta researchers are tracing the history of two space rocks. The first cratered in the west central part of the province roughly 1,100 years ago. The second streaked through the sky Thursday night.

That Was Then

900 AD

Size: The chunk of asteroid is estimated to have been a metre in diameter.

Impact: It didn't break up before it hit the ground and carved a crater. Using LiDAR data, they created an image of the area without any vegetation. It revealed a crater 36 metres wide and six metres deep.

Location: Whitecourt, 200 kilometres west of Edmonton. Scientists used remote sensing technology called LiDAR to find the crater, which was hidden by trees.

Speed: It was travelling an estimated two kilometres per second when it hit.

The rock: A hunk of iron mixed with nickel.

This is Now

Last Thursday

Size: It weighed about 10 tonnes when it entered Earth's atmosphere (estimated to be 2 metres across)

Impact: It broke up before it hit the ground, scattering debris that scientists are hoping to recover.

Location: The fireball lit up the skies of Alberta and Saskatchewan, and the scientists hope to locate the space rocks in Western Saskatchewan.

Speed: It was travelling at 14 kilometres per second.

The rock: More crumbly, with iron distributed throughout.

THE GLOBE AND MAIL // PHOTO: ANDREW BARTLET

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081126.wmeteor26/BNStory/Science/home
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#26 Postby Aslkahuna » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:42 pm

No meteor can be travelling at 2km/sec when it hits the Earth's atmosphere since any extraterrestrial object has to enter with at least escape velocity 12 km/sec unless they are saying that it hit the ground at 2 km/sec which would imply a high speed entry. The meteor that hit the girl's car was found by her the next morning. Robert Haag has also run afoul of the law in a number of Countries including Australia because some Countries have laws forbidding the removal for sale of objects of scientific or historical value from the Country.

Steve
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#27 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:54 am

Aslkahuna I wish the Globe, or whoever made up that chart, had been a little more specific.

Regarding Robert Haag Canada's laws are more lenient when it comes to meteorites (they belong to the person whose land they fell on). I read only an export permit is needed (I believe for meteorites of a certain size). Personally I hope that the Universities and Museums in Saskatchewan and Alberta will get first dibs as well as some down east (there seems to be a nice selection now available to study).

This is only the 10th sighted meteor, in Canada, that they've been able to collect freshly fallen meteorites from :D .

MEDIA ADVISORY

Fragments of 10-tonne space rock located near Lloydminster from Nov. 20 fireball

The remains of a 10-tonne asteroid that exploded in the sky near the Alberta/Saskatchewan border on November 20, 2008 have been located by University of Calgary researchers in a rural area near the city of Lloydminster.
Planetary scientist Dr. Alan Hildebrand and graduate student Ellen Milley located several fragments of meteorite late Thursday afternoon and are conducting a search of the area to collect some of the estimated thousands of meteorite fragments densely strewn over an estimated 20-square-kilometre area near the Battle River.
Hildebrand and Milley will be available for media interviews and photo opportunities in the search area on Friday, Nov. 28 at 1 pm (Mountain Time).

A few exceptionally lucky (and now rich) farmers were advised to pick up any that they found with plastic bags so as not to contaminate the meteorites any further.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#28 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:58 am

BTW my son is taking Geology so I'm hoping he will be able to see (and learn) from a couple of those found meteorites.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#29 Postby JonathanBelles » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:11 pm

0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#30 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 am

Thank you for posting that video Fact789 some of it is new to me. :)

Now I wish I had labelled this thread Armageddon??? Deep Impact?? Or is it time to wear a Hard Hat? ;)

Poor little Marsden, SK (population 275) isn't going to know what hit it. ;D

Girding for a meteoric rise in popularity
A Saskatchewan community is preparing for a rush of treasure hunters after several chunks of potentially valuable space rock were found nearby

KATHERINE O'NEILL

koneill@globeandmail.com; With a report from The Canadian Press

November 29, 2008

MARSDEN, SASK. -- Marsden, a tiny Saskatchewan farming community that hugs the Alberta boundary, is preparing itself for a stampede of people hunting for prized cosmic treasure after several meteorites were recovered nearby.

"Yee-haw, they finally found something," Glenda Hankins, co-owner of the Marsden Hotel, said yesterday after it was revealed that two University of Calgary researchers were the first to locate valuable space rocks on top of a frozen pond late Thursday.

U of C planetary scientist Alan Hildebrand, who was involved in the successful search, estimates thousands more could be strewn over a debris field north of Marsden that is estimated to be as large as 20 square kilometres.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... /Prairies/

Locals have already dubbed it the Marsden Meteorite. The community of 275 people is about 250 kilometres northwest of Saskatoon.

Here's a picture of the
University of Calgary student http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1009418 that got the thrill of a lifetime when she found bits of meteorite from a fireball that lit up the sky over Alberta and Saskatchewan last week. (I'd lift it but I haven't been able to post pictures......I'm guessing I'll have to get my own uploader ;)

Master's student Ellen Milley was with meteorite expert Alan Hildebrand searching south of Lloydminster on Thursday afternoon when she noticed some dark bits on a small frozen pond.

The first dark mass they investigated was a disappointment-- it turned out to be a leaf. But the next one proved to be a cosmic treasure: a 250-gram piece of black space rock, part of the 10-tonne meteorite that fell from the sky.

and here's a story of another "intriguing" meteorite that found by a farmer in Kyle, Saskatchewan 20 years ago. http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0009/03sackmeteorite/

So far meteorites from 13 different meteors have been found in Saskatchewan......with this newest one we have tied :P Alberta's record of 14. :) 8-) :wink:
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#31 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:21 am

BTW the people in Marsden reported that the falling meteorites made a sizzling sound and that they stunk and they still do now (over a week later).
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Cyclenall » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:12 pm

Where is the picture of it? When the town said it stunk after it hit, that reminds me of that mystery impact in Peru a year ago that made the town sick (stank).
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#33 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:24 am

Cyclenall I think the stink was just from the rock burning as it flew through the sky. It was fascinating to read that the one in Peru landed in a pool of water that released a toxic stinky mix into the air.

We just got a text message from our son....he got to see one of the meteorites (at the University of Saskatchewan). It turns out that the fellow that had it is on the meteorite research team.

The meteor is a more common one mostly made up of iron but a chemical analysis of it hasn't been done yet....my son was told you can touch but then I'll have to kill you. I'm guessing he is just eyeballing it very carefully. ;)
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#34 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Largest meteorite found so far 14 Kilograms (by Stauffer's Team.....the Professor that showed my son the meteorite).

The farmer is donating some of the smaller meteorites to the Universities and is selling the larger ones.....my son said he, the farmer, is going to be rich.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#35 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:41 pm

To give an example of how incredibly rare this meteor and its subsequent meteorites are I found this on the net:

15. What do fireballs and meteorites tell us about their origins?

Most of our current knowledge about the origin of meteoroids comes from photographic fireball studies (meteors > magnitude -4) done over the last 50 years or so. This may sound like a long time, but good data has been collected on only about 800 fireballs so far. Of these, only 4 have been recovered on the ground as meteorites. A meteorite-causing fireball is very rare and must be at least magnitude -8 to have sufficient mass to survive the trip. Even with an accurate photographic or video trajectory, it is still a matter of finding a needle in a haystack once the meteorite is on the ground. In recorded scientific history, un-photographed (eyewitnessed) falls have resulted in only about 900 meteorite finds.

Courtesy of the American Meteor Society: http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/faqf.html#15
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#36 Postby RL3AO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:05 pm

14kg is pretty impressive to find at the surface.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#37 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:12 pm

I thought so too RL3A0....as it turns out a 13 kg one was also found by a farmer and his son (who made a quick trip into Saskatchewan):

Meteorite hunters are having a field day - literally - following the discovery of dozens of fragments from a 10-tonne space rock that exploded over the Canadian prairie on 20 November.

A large search team will scour the area on Wednesday in hopes of finding more pieces and mapping out the extent of the debris field before the terrain is covered in snow. "The quicker we get them, with the least amount of water contact, the better," says Ellen Milley, a graduate student at the University of Calgary.

As of Monday evening, she and colleagues had picked up more than 60 meteorites from a 24-square-kilometre patch of windswept grassland and frozen waterways near the town of Marsden, Saskatchewan.

Amateur treasure seekers who flocked to the area in droves over the weekend have walked away with many more pieces, including a 13-kilogram chunk found by a father and son from Alberta.

"The most difficult things is telling the meteorites apart from the cow patties," Milley told New Scientist.

The event is proving to be one of the most fruitful meteorite searches in recent memory, says Alan Hildebrand, also of the University of Calgary.

Cold and dry
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... airie.html

I also heard that the team from the University of Calgary also have a large one (but I'm not sure if its the one that the father and son from Alberta found and handed over to them or not).
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#38 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 pm

The cow patties :lol: are going to cause them more than a few headaches...its a cattle ranch that the meteorites fell on and they are now estimating that there could be 10,000 of the meteorites (of varying sizes) out there
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#39 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon May 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Meteor from last fall sets Canadian record

Updated: Mon May. 04 2009 16:44:27

ctvedmonton.ca

The meteor that lit up across the Alberta skies last fall has set a new Canadian record for the number of space rocks found.

A University of Calgary scientist has led the search for the space fragments.

Alan Hildebrand said more than 1,000 have been discovered in fields near Lloydminster on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border.

"From the distribution of the meteorite falls, if we can relate them back to the explosions up in the air where they were released, it lets us understand a lot about meteorite fall," said Hildebrand.

The biggest space chunk found to date weighs 13 kilograms (28.6 pounds) and was found on Al Mitchell's property (in Saskatchewan :lol: ). Some experts have said Mitchell could have sold the fragment for $400,000 but he opted to donate it to the University of Calgary.

So far, more than 400 pieces have been found and many more are estimated to have been discovered by area residents not associated with the University of Calgary's search.

The previous record was set in 1960 when a meteor hit the ground in central Alberta and 700 pieces were discovered.

With files from Canadian Press and CTV's Scott Roberts
A good video with images of the largest chunk can be seen at the link below:
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... algaryHome
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”