Thoughts on Katrina

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Thoughts on Katrina

#1 Postby SouthFloridawx » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:56 pm

http://www.stormadventures.com/programs.htm

Volue III

I am watching this program on tv. It is just a reminder to me of the total devastation of Katrina. They had some cool video of before and after Camile and it crazy the similarities of the 2 storms. Just the raw and shear power that this storm had especially on MGC and IMO they bore the brunt of this storm as I have heard estimates that along the MGC there was 90% total devastation occuring there within the coastline. To me sometimes I get upset when most of the coverage was in and around New Orleans. Granted I do feel bad for the people of New Orleans as they have had thier own struggles and devastation themselves but, I especially feel for the people there where the most damage took place along the MGC/AL/LA coast lines. This was an exceptional storm and lets hope it never happens again.

For everyone there on the Gulf Coast who were affected by Katnina and also Rita (another overlooked area from 2005 not by us members but, in general coverage), How are you guys doing? Is it starting to get a little better there? I would imagine a total loss can take years to recoup and recover from and what are your thoughts on the 2006 season?
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby HollynLA » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:08 pm

This was an exceptional storm that will never be forgotten. As far as who had the worst damage, I think LA and MS both had devestating damage but you're right, the media does focus more on NOLA. There are many other parts of LA that were hit hard, such as lower Plaquemines parish, which is where the storm made it's first landfall. Also, St. Bernard parish, where 100% of the structures were heavily damages, most to be demolished. The MGC was demolished by storm surge and wind. It's horrible no matter how you look at it.
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby timNms » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:59 pm

I agree that New Orleans has gotten most of the press time where Katrina is concerned. I fully understand that the city suffered greatly from the flooding and I agree that the news media should have covered the story and should continue to do so. However, I believe it would be beneficial to other areas that were hit just as hard for the media to spend equal time on them. Perhaps it would direct help into those areas as well.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#4 Postby Dionne » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:56 am

It's been 10 months now. I think I'm finally starting to adjust. I worked myself sick. Literally. Under doctors orders I have taken the last 2 weeks off. I suspect there are thousand of folks out there that need the same.

I think most will agree that after awhile the media means nothing. They come down here....take some pics....usually of someone crying. Which isn't hard to find. And then they go home.

What is really cool is the continuing influx of church affiliated volunteers. They just keep coming. Full of energy and compassion.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Frank P » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 am

Katrina was 10 times worse than Camille.... I lived though both, and lost everything with both... but Katrina's surge was unprecedented.... so many more people lost everything due to Katrina's surge than from Camille.... but more importantly, Camille DID NOT drive that many people away from the Coast back in 69, after Camille our spirit was much stronger than after Katrina... there was a much better spirit for rebuilding back then... Katrina devastating effect is causing many people not to come back, or rebuild, at least not at the moment, their psyche is so damaged... my brother - moved from the coast, several brothers/sisters in law - moved from the coast., numerous friends - moved from the coast.. or at least from the areas where their homes use to be prior to Katrina..

I had 13 homes on my beach front block in Biloxi... only FOUR of us plan on rebuilding... and this is how it is now on the MS coast..... and that's one of real tragedies of all this... I hope it changes over time.... if we get another major storm on the MS coast any time soon it will basically finish off the rest of us I'm afraid....
0 likes   

Mississippi Storm Magnet
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Mississippi Storm Magnet » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:43 am

Frank, I agree. Another storm will finish a lot of people off. And it won't have to be a powerful one. Even a cat 1 or 2 will take out some of what has been rebuilt. I still have not decided if I am going to leave or stay after my house repairs are finished. I'm hoping to be done by this month.

Here are some before and after shots of my home. I tried to take the pictures from the same vantage point. The Jordan River flooded me (8 feet of surge, you can see the water line in the clock photo):

0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Frank P » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:24 am

I'm still amazed everytime I see this destruction and damage... I got a lot of friends in Diamondhead who had similar damage... never thought I see the water cross I-10 either in that area.... what do I know..

good luck Magnet... and keep the spirit, we all need it for sure...
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby SouthFloridawx » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:26 am

MississippiStorm,

When I first looked at the picture I thought well why did he/she take a picture of thier wall but, upon closer inspection I realized something and I wanted to ask you to clarify.

Most of the wall is darker than the rest but, if I am right in seeing what I think it is, it appears to be a high water mark on your wall. At first I didn't think you got much damage from the storm but, from every show I watch and ever picture I see from that area it utterly amazes me.

How far do you live from the water?

0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby skysummit » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 am

I know this thread is about Katrina, but let's also not forget about the towns in lower Terrebonne Parish just south of Houma, La. For Hurricane Rita, this area experienced a 16 foot storm surge that put thousands of homes underwater. In most locations, the water stood for almost a week. Lots of these areas never experienced flooding before. This flooding was never mentioned on the news.....I guess it was just over shadowed like everything else thanks to Katrina.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:04 pm

I agree with just about every sentiment expressed on the thread.

The devastation in Mississippi was, IMO, more awe-inspiring inasmuch as it looked as though an atomic bomb blew up the entire area... but make no mistakes, in terms of totally lost homes, the numbers in New Orleans, (If for not better reason than it's much larger urban population) are far greater with estimates as high as 200,000 HOMES lost or severly damaged consequent to flooding. I am CONVINCED that the $75 Billion is a gross underestimate of damages--not because $75B isn't a staggering figure--it is; but as I'd already expressed in my other thread the numbers in comparison with Andrew just do NOT jive. The area of destruction, just over 1,000-1500 sq. mi. to 90,000 sq mi. the number of totally destroyed homes... over 300,000 compared to about 20,000, The HUGE area of devastation along the coastline, the Debris being many times more than 9/11 (In Mississippi alone, Jackson, Harrison and Hancock County had many times more--without figuring in all the rest of the areas--that's just astounding!) and the fact that an entire major metropolitan area's infrastructure (as well as those of many other sizeable city areas from Bay St. Louis, all the way to Mobile, much bigger than Homestead--taking NOTHING from the horrors in Homestead, only that it was a MUCH smaller area comparatively speaking) were totally devastated, and I can assure you that if the "adjusted for 2005 USD for Andrew is almost $50 B... then Katrina has GOT to be more than just 50% higher... that just makes no sense to me at all. If the numbers don't adjust upward from that and it remains by 2005 USD... Katrina 75B and Andrew 50B... I'm sorry; but somebody's cooking books somewhere IMHO.

What's saddest is the slowness of recovery. As so many have pointed out, it's "agonizingly" slow. New Orleans is still half empty... it's lost Jazzland/Six Flags permanently; the poor parish of St. Bernard still looks like a national disaster area and I say that with great affection for the area as it was where I went to HS, and many of my family and closest friends lived--it's truly probably the MOST overlooked of all the devastated areas--as pointed out already, nearly 100% of all structures received total to severe damage. I believe the actual figure is that only TWO structures in the entire parish were listed as less than severely damaged--now tell me of ANY county/parish anywhere with that kind of total destruction? Plaquemines is another, and as sad as I am to say it, I see a long, slow loss of the lower half of this parish. For crying out loud, as it is, once you get much below Belle Chasse, you ride down a ribbon of highway, with the river on one side of you, and a few hundred yards on the other side is the Gulf.. whereas at ONE time... there were miles of land across even the southern stretches of this parish. Going over the high overpass below Buras (I believe it's near Boothville/Venice) you can actually see the Gulf on BOTH your left and right... this is, quite frankly, a vanishing parish.

As to the for sale signs... they're popping up even out here in Metairie like mushrooms on a damp morning. People just don't want to deal with it any more. Right after the storm there was all this talk about coming back "Bigger and Better"... and there was little, if any doubt, that the killer monstrosity called the MRGO which has TWICE now inundated St. Bernard and the Lower Ninth would be closed---only to have the USACE now come up with a "study" that they will disclose the results of sometime in the late fall. Face it, the money interests and the USACE do NOT want to close this precious money-cow, even if it means St. Bernard will join Plaquemines as the fastest disappearing parish in the state, and it will mean that the possibility to protect New Orleans becomes even MORE improbable. It's the SAME old game. Take it in stages...

Shock
Disbelief
Outrage
Anger
Promise
More Talk/Delay
Still more Talk/Delay
Hedging on the Promises
Money being VERY poorly spent (no surprises here).
Time heals most wounds---let it pass more
Lethargy
Apathy
Disgust
Inaction
Status Quo remains the SAME! -- NOTHING gets done!

And people around here with two brain cells to rub together can SEE this is how it's going, and they've reached their limit. I talk to people all the time telling 'em to stay and fight for our city, our area, and our culture. But how do you counter the inescapable logic of their argument: "For what? Everytime something happens down here, the politicians all go into histrionics about what's going to get done till the dust settles, and then NOTHING gets done--until the next time the city gets hammered... and more people die either because some politician (or their buddies) didn't feel the need to take much needed measures-- or someone pocketed money that should've been put to better use--all we get is talk! talk! talk!

And then there's the CRIME!... won't even go there as I've gone on for quite long enough. I admire the Mississippi folks as they deal with the criminals a LOT more effeciently than we do in New Orleans. How do you justify a homicide rate that is far and away the worst on a per-capita basis than ANY city/area in the entire country? TALK, TALK, TALK,... people are TIRED of it.... everyone knows about what talks and what walks and that goes triple for this area--sadly.

The rainstorms of the last two days have done LITTLE to assuage fears, or infuse much confidence. Half the traffic signals in Metairie and Kenner are OUT... or reduced to just flashing lights... street flooding in some areas came hazardously close to entering houses again--and we have the same politicos on TV saying that this is the "norm" for a heavy rain out here---SORRY! That's just NOT SO... this was NO May 3, flood event, but in some areas the flooding was as bad simply because our infrastructure is so frighteningly FRAGILE.... and the people are beginning to realize it.

In closing this overly long vent, I also agree that what's happened in the lower parishes, and SW La/SE Tex from Rita has been eggregiously overlooked, in the shadow of Katrina. Had it not been for Katrina, what this storm has done would be THE talk of the 2005 season IMO (although I know some will argue it would be Wilma--for whatever it's worth I respectfully disagree--Wilma hit an area where land/bldg values were higher hence a higher $$ figure; but did nowhere near the extensive damage Rita did. Yes, Texas got hit by Rita, and Mississippi/ALA got pounded by Katrina... but Louisiana was the landfall of BOTH these storms so got a double whammy--and given our superb leadership (that was DEFINITELY a sarcastic coment).. was one thing we did NOT need. Those who say it will only take one more sizeable storm to deal us the "final blow"...are right on target. As dearly as I love this area, and even given my age... should another major head this way, and leave it as decimated/flooded as Katrina did... I will find somewhere else to live... and feel it'll be a matter of time before the area joins Atlantis.

Do I want this? HELL NO! I Love my city and my area; but it seems that after time, and time again we see all talk and no real action to actually PROTECT the city, well--it's only a matter of time... and THAT is the real tragedy of the whole picture.

Apologies to all for the length of this diatribe, which I'm sure most simply decided to skim past! :wink:

A2K
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby SouthFloridawx » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Wow A2K, again another great post by you. I'm going to have to think on that one for a little while. But, this is the same kind of thing that I keep hearing from people there. I certainly hope you never have to leave and I hope you guys rebuild, eventhough it is going to take a while and eventhough it could happen again. I have given this a lot of thought and my heart is telling me to move to the Gulf Coast someday.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Frank P » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:39 pm

after reading this A2K, which by the way was extremely well written, I had to go get my one bi-weekly drink of Crown Royal... I only pour myself one small drink every other week, in spite of how bad things are on the coast.... and after reading this, it was time for my drink... funny thing, a lot of my friends know I like Crown, and they are always buying me a bottle, I guess they feel sorry for me and they don't really know what else to do...... I have more bottles of Crown in the FEMA trailer than anything else...it will be years before I consume all this alcohol, if ever... I probably need to have flammable warning labels posted outside on the trailer for emergency responders...

A2K this was indeed a great post, you have passion..... and it showed.... people who are not living this nightmare, or have relatives in the affected areas just don't know what its all about... major hurricanes usually are life changing events... Katrina and Rita were both big time life changing events for the good people of LA and MS...

so I offer up this toast to you as I look out my tiny window at the magnificent GOM on a cloudy overcast evening on the beautiful MS coast.... a small amount of pleasure offered up in the tiny little trailer I'm living in amongst the debris and rubble of my bombed out neighborhood.....
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby TSmith274 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:32 am

Frank P wrote:so I offer up this toast to you as I look out my tiny window at the magnificent GOM on a cloudy overcast evening on the beautiful MS coast.... a small amount of pleasure offered up in the tiny little trailer I'm living in amongst the debris and rubble of my bombed out neighborhood.....

That kinda brought it all home. I can picture it.

Well, I too read A2K's post. As usual, excellent. And I agree. It's easier for someone like myself, whose family and kids are somewhere in the future, to question the commitment to this city of someone who leaves. But when I really think about it objectively, and put myself at some point in the future with a wife and kids to protect, I do see why people have left and are leaving.

Just today, as I drove down a street in my neighborhood... my car bouncing over the broken pavement... I actually asked myself, "Why do I put up with this? Why do I live in a city that didn't adequately provide services and street repair before the storm? Now, the city is broke, and this street will only get worse." But then, you remember that it is home. It is a place that was quite literally built by our ancestors. We owe our city more than what we've done to it. The years of electing quirky and sometimes corrupt politicians has got to end... but it may never end. It's a circle of thought that I'm sure every New Orleanian is caught up in right now. Only time will tell what happens here.
0 likes   

Mississippi Storm Magnet
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby Mississippi Storm Magnet » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:39 am

SouthFloridawx wrote:MississippiStorm,

When I first looked at the picture I thought well why did he/she take a picture of thier wall but, upon closer inspection I realized something and I wanted to ask you to clarify.

Most of the wall is darker than the rest but, if I am right in seeing what I think it is, it appears to be a high water mark on your wall. At first I didn't think you got much damage from the storm but, from every show I watch and ever picture I see from that area it utterly amazes me.

How far do you live from the water?

Yes, I took that picture to show the high water mark (8 feet), and the time that the clock stopped (about 11:05 am). I live quite a way from the gulf, but the surge pushed up into Bay St. Louis up through the Jordan River, and the Jordan River overflowed into northwest Diamondhead, which is where I live. My neighbor stayed and had to cut a hole in his roof to get away from the floodwaters.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:08 am

Well, thanks, SFWx, Frank, and T, I really didn't know if anyone would bother to read that epistle; but it made me feel a bit better after getting it out of my system. SFWx, should you ever come to the Gulf Coast... just find a place that is at a safe and elevated distance, especially if you've got family to protect. You can always drive in closer to, as Frank well put it: that beautiful coast--and it is every bit of that. And it has been my experience that the beauty of the people rivals that of those magnificent beaches.

Thanks for the toast, Frank... I'll pour me a little Makers, and return the favor looking east to all my wonderful friends along that coast- a tip of the spirit, dedicated to the undaunted same that calls this stretch home.

TSmith: The line "It is a place quite literally built by our ancestors" is one that truly hits home for both you and me as we'd been over this before. Both of us have ancestral roots going back for more than two centuries. But unless something drastic happens, I, for the first time, truly fear for the future of this once majestic city--and while I know it is but a relic of that now; nevertheless it truly was every bit of that at one time. It is like watching a loved one in the last throes of a protracted life-threatening illness, and just wishing something could end it all--only on a much slower timescale. I've watched the city I have called the home of my ancestors shrivel and wither, almost entirely from corruption and neglect for more than four decades now, and have almost reached the point of that "loved one" who feels that if things don't take a turn for the better soon--or real hope isn't offered for improvement--then perhaps it will be time to let go, as the patient is truly terminal.

As for those other areas, I am not nearly as pessimistic about their future. They can and will fight as they clearly have that flame and spirit burning white-hot in their soul and that is the stuff of which great communities are made. No, the whole area is not a loss... it's just that for the first time in my life, I am truly experiencing that sick inner-gut sinking feeling that we, once again, have our magnificent leadership <again spoken in great sarcasm> giving wonderfully elaborate speeches, making marvelous promises, and yielding NOTHING in results but the echos of similarly empty promises from decades past. Even as we speak/read/type, the USACE has already begun a series of apologetics for the indefensible murderer called the MRGO...I truly believe that if this cancer on our community is NOT removed, and the businesses and politicos who are already posturing to see that it is not win out, the malignancy will fester, grow, and worsten, until--well, the death knell will have been tolled. And the saddest part of it all, is that by-and-large, we have no one to blame but ourselves for allowing it to happen, for not having had an involved and insightful enough electorate to have done something about it, when that something might have been done. I, for one, will keep my eyes on what happens with MRGO... because if that monster, whom I've personally witnessed "drown" my city twice, now, doesn't "go"... then with heavy heart this true native of the area may just decide to. We shall see.

Mississippi Storm Magnet: Yes I'd heard surge levels coming up some rivers were unbelievably high. I don't recall which flood/surge map (gov't survey) but one of them showed a river cresting at something like 40 feet with the surge--unbelievable. Good luck to you and your family on rebuilding.

A2K
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Ixolib » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:12 pm

Frank P wrote:...people who are not living this nightmare, or have relatives in the affected areas just don't know what its all about... major hurricanes usually are life changing events... Katrina and Rita were both big time life changing events for the good people of LA and MS...

A truer statement would be hard to find. :uarrow: :uarrow:

Life changing indeed.....
0 likes   

edenisleswx
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#17 Postby edenisleswx » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:50 pm

I live in Eden Isles right on Lake Ponchatrain. We had 7 feet of water in our home from the surge and God knows what blew out all our windows and doors and an entire brick wall from the side of our home. I tell myself every day that I need to stop dwelling on Katrina and get on with life - that I am lucky that we are rebuilding and may be done in several months. But I can't get away from it. It's all I think about. I listen to WWL all day while I am at work and read this forum during lunch. It's everywhere you go and everything you see and yet it almost gives me comfort to obsess on it and to be able to talk to other people about it that understand how I feel. We almost didn't come back and if this happens again anytime soon I know we will move away. I can't go through this again.
0 likes   

Pearl River
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby Pearl River » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:38 pm

We can vent all we want about the media, and New Orleans getting all the coverage. Let's face it, the coverage has not helped the city one bit. They haven't received more money or help from it. It's up to us to keep on the politicians and not to let them forget.

I have people tell me that when bill collectors call, the person on the other end of the phone tell's them to stop whining and using Katrina as an excuse. That raises my blood pressure to no end. It's just another sign of the ignorance of people in this countryand the media is to blame. The media needs to show the total devestation from Texas to Alabama, not just one specific area.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#19 Postby Jim Cantore » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:49 pm

The events of August 29th 2005 will never be forgotten.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby MGC » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:38 pm

I still can't believe the absolute destruction Katrina has inflicted on us. Every time I drive down HWY 90 or visit the New Orleans area I shake my head in disbelief. This has been a nightmare. I keep pinching myself hoping I'd wake up. I never thought a hurricane could do this......MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”