Sad Day For Our Family

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

Sad Day For Our Family

#1 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:19 am

Well, later today my Dad & Mom, who are both 58, will close on their new home 15 miles West of Hammond. It's a nice house. But, it's a sad moment. My parents lost their home in Chalmette, LA with Katrina, and it's a shell out there right now. Just studs, brick, and a foundation. All of our family memories are only in our minds, the rest we threw into the garbage when the home was completely gutted last October. They are going to keep the property, and bulldoze the home and maybe return in a couple of years. They are particularly sad, but, my Mother couldn't take living in a FEMA trailor any longer. They had a private camper, but, gave it to my sister, and are going to buy the FEMA camper. It's a nice one...2005 model, but, my Mom misses a kitchen, a bathtub, and a yard to do flowers. There are still too many unsettled issues for them to return, just yet, in St. Bernard Parish. So, they are signing the dotted line and moving on, for now. But, the memories, the love, and the cozy feeling of their home that went under 17 feet of water last September for three weeks, is simply, just that...a memory. And I'm sad. But, everyone has to continue to move forward....
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby TSmith274 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:23 am

Yep, that is sad. My family, which goes back in this city for literally centuries, was broken apart by this storm. There used to be 17 of us living in New Orleans before the storm. Now it's 3. It's crazy how so many of your roots can be wiped away just like that. Good luck to your parents.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:06 am

Only too common a story nowadays... my cousin's house was in Buccaneer Villa North... total loss. He's moved to Lafayette, and will never come back. If there is any justice in this world, perhaps this might get the movement to completely close that monstrosity called the MRGO the momentum it needs to actually happen.

And yet if precedent is any indication--I have my doubts. St. Bernard was a real "community" in every sense of the word, and now it's a shell of what it once was. Katrina will definitely be one for the history books.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby timNms » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:03 am

Sean, I'm sorry to hear about your parents' loss. I somewhat understand what you are going through. After having lost my mom in January, I knew that "home" would never be "home" again. She left her house to my brother's youngest daughter. (A promise made when my neice was only about 2 yrs old and was just recovering from lukemia). It's hard living next door to mom's house and not being able to run over to borrow some sugar or just to chat with Mom. It's even harder knowing that I'll never be able to go "home" again.

Time has a way of healing wounds and I know that in time, I'll get used to the new living arangements. I'm sure your parents will adjust as well. Perhaps in a couple of yrs, they can rebuild on their property and life will be somewhat like it was before.

While I'm on the subject of losing one's home, isn't it weird how sometimes there seems to be this rift between New Orleans and the MS coast? "Our damage was worse than yours" kinda stuff. What we all need to realize is that it doesn't matter whether or not the damage in NO was from faulty levees or the damage in MS was from what some call a cat 2 storm. It still happened and many, many lives will NEVER be the same again. People lost everything they owned. Unfortunately, some lost loved ones. The thing that touches my heart is watching those who lost it all rebuilding or saying "We'll be back bigger and better than before". That's the true spirit of the south coming out in our folks :) Makes me proud to be a part of this great region in the US.
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby HollynLA » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:49 am

Sean, I had lots of family in St. Bernard and most of them are very spread out in other states living in travel trailers. I do understand.

I just bought my house 3 months ago about 15 minutes west of Hammond, right in between Holden and Livingston. It's a beautiful and quiet area. Hmmm, two houses down we are supposed to be having some new neighbors (older couple from St. Bernard) moving in, the man is a pastor of a church. Any connection?
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby LAwxrgal » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 am

Feel very sad for all of you. :( Sean, glad to hear at least your parents will have some semblance of normalcy out of this. Continue to take care of them, they're the only parents you'll ever have.

A good chunk of my family (cousins, aunts, etc.) lived in New Orleans before the storm, and now they're scattered. I have cousins in northern Mississippi, some in Tennessee, some who've settled up in Baker -- the point is, they're no longer together. My aunt, of course, who held it all together, went to the sky on September 4, and all that's left of her house is the front steps.

And I agree, that is the saddest part of this whole thing -- the separation of families and the dissolution of communities, and of course, the massive loss of life and livelihoods.

And yes, we will be back. 8-)
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby beachbum_al » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:32 pm

Sean,
I am sorry that your parents and you are having to go through this. It is hard to watch a place that you love and have so many memories be torn apart in less than a day.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Sean I feel just like your parents. Our house was gone when we went home, nothing but a slab left so I really know how she feels. The only things I have are the few things I put in the van and took to my mothers, thank goodness I didn't leave them in the van because it went underwater itself. We just bought a house in the city just north of Pascagoula and we will hold on to our property down by the beach for a couple of years and maybe rebuild too, that is our plan. We, like your parents, were going crazy in a FEMA trailer.

We moved in last Wednesday and didn't have any furniture until yesterday except for some box springs and frames I bought on Wednesday and my family had given us 2 mattresses to use. So we will make it, oh yea, bought a couple of fancy dressers from Wal-mart, they have three drawers and you can see right through them to make sure you are opening the right drawer!! ROFL...you gotta have a good sense of humor and laugh, or you won't make it thru this thing and we all WILL make it, its just gonna take time and a lot of patience, which is in very short supply sometimes. But with the help of our families and church and God we will rebuild one day and survive these troublesome times.

Tell you parents, they aren't alone in their struggle and that we here in Mississippi feel the same and are doing the same things they have done!! We all need to pray for everyone that was affected by Katrina including ourselves for the Good Lord to help us make it through.

Mary
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:28 pm

HollynLA wrote:Sean, I had lots of family in St. Bernard and most of them are very spread out in other states living in travel trailers. I do understand.

I just bought my house 3 months ago about 15 minutes west of Hammond, right in between Holden and Livingston. It's a beautiful and quiet area. Hmmm, two houses down we are supposed to be having some new neighbors (older couple from St. Bernard) moving in, the man is a pastor of a church. Any connection?

Yes, Holly, you are speaking of my parents. My Dad is a pastor from Chalmette. They are moving in next week, if their furniture is delivered..they've already bought all of the furniture. They're happy..the home is modest, and will be comfortable. But, for them, it will be just right for the next couple of years while they regroup their life. I'll have to meet you when I come over to see them sometime. I'll go up there sometimes on Saturdays. They are going to level that yard first and put up a wooden fence, at least that is what I gathered from speaking to my Father. I talked to my Mom tonight and told her that I will come help her landscape. I think you will enjoy my parents. They are decent, respectable people who I think you will find simply to be very sweet. Everybody thinks my parents are the "sweetest" people. They are very loved. It's nice to know that they will have good neighbors.
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby HollynLA » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:42 pm

Sean
What a small world. Yep that's definitely them, I also heard they were putting up a fence. I'm 2 houses down from them, the large white house (if you've been there yet, you couldn't miss it). I think they were there today moving stuff, or atleast someone was, there's been alot going on there so I'm not sure who is your parents and who are the contractors. I just planted 24 trees to grow as a natural barrier from my immediate neighbors (right next to your parents). Honestly, they're nuts. That's another story, you can pm me if you want more info on what to expect. All in all though, it's a nice place to live with no threat of flood.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#11 Postby CajunMama » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Holly, don't tease us! We want to hear about the neighbors! :wink:
0 likes   

Sean in New Orleans
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Sean in New Orleans » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:46 pm

I've been once. I think I met your son. A cute little fellow who came over and politely introduced himself and told us he lived in "that white house over there." :D I'll be up to see them in a few weeks. They come down to New Orleans, and Chalmette, alot, so I usually see them here in the City.
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby HollynLA » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Holly, don't tease us! We want to hear about the neighbors! Wink

CajunMama, just come over for a few minutes and you could see for yourself :lol:
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby TSmith274 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:41 am

timNms wrote:While I'm on the subject of losing one's home, isn't it weird how sometimes there seems to be this rift between New Orleans and the MS coast? "Our damage was worse than yours" kinda stuff. What we all need to realize is that it doesn't matter whether or not the damage in NO was from faulty levees or the damage in MS was from what some call a cat 2 storm. It still happened and many, many lives will NEVER be the same again.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Don't ever think that people in N.O., no matter their circumstances, aren't thinking of the MGC. We've always been good neighbors, and it'll stay that way forever. Good luck to yall.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby MGC » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:23 pm

I feel for you. I was at the house I grew up in out in NO East a couple of weeks ago. My Mom is going to sell it soon to an investor, as none of her kids want it. I walked through it for one last time. It has yet to be totally gutted, only the carpet has been removed. I still had flashbacks of my childhood: Christmas, Easter, birthdays......I hope whoever buys it restores it to her former glory, raises a wonderful family just like the one I grew up in. I will miss my old home.....MGC
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:35 pm

MGC wrote:I feel for you. I was at the house I grew up in out in NO East a couple of weeks ago. My Mom is going to sell it soon to an investor, as none of her kids want it. I walked through it for one last time. It has yet to be totally gutted, only the carpet has been removed. I still had flashbacks of my childhood: Christmas, Easter, birthdays......I hope whoever buys it restores it to her former glory, raises a wonderful family just like the one I grew up in. I will miss my old home.....MGC

That' one of the saddest things about looking over these things. Hindsight is 20-20, but it can sure hurt. When I went into the Lower Ninth to see my old homestead, I swear, I relived so many of the good times I'd shared in that house that the city has already declared "substantilly" damaged (52%). I saw the old driveway my dad actually laid the concrete for. I was aghast that the beautiful porch he had put on the house was GONE, with just wooden steps leading up to both sides of our little double-shotgun. The door was swung open, and I looked into rooms I had so many memories of. I didn't go inside in respect of the current owner, and even shut the door; but being that classical shotgun, I could see every arch, and note every molding around the roof... the mailbox on the outside that dropped the mail inside the house... the two side-panels that could be opened on each side of the door-- the pine tree my dad and I planted back around the time of Audrey. *sigh* soooo many memories. Riding around I saw my old church--St. Maurice, with it's once beautiful steeple completely blown off, my old Holy Cross neighborhood, that will soon be history as even its namesake makes plans to move (probably in Kenner) as I type.

Okay I waxed nostalgic enough... but it is both nice, and yet sad to reminisce on all these things that will be no more.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby MGC » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:06 pm

Holy Cross, my brother went there in the 60's. Too bad it is not going to reopen....MGC
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Holy Cross, my brother went there in the 60's. Too bad it is not going to reopen....MGC

That would've been around my time... perhaps if you mention Coach Kalbacher to him, it'll bring a glint of nostalgia in his.

A2K
0 likes   

Pearl River
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Pearl River » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:00 pm

Sean, I hate to hear about the loss of your family home. Just remember though, you still have your parents. My dad lost alot in south Slidell, but we were able to rebuild the old house and he's back in it. It doesn't look like the one I grew up in except for the color in his bedroom. He repainted the walls blue. That was the color in the room when my mother was ill and then passed away a few years back. He wants something to at least give him a little reminder of the past. :D
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”