One for the "duh" column

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

One for the "duh" column

#1 Postby HurryKane » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:20 am

http://tinyurl.com/qjj95

Army Corps: levees disjointed, outdated

By CAIN BURDEAU, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - The Gulf Coast's hurricane protection system was overwhelmed by Katrina because it was built disjointedly using outdated data, according to an Army Corps of Engineers report released Thursday. (HurryKane says: YA THINK!??!?)

"The system did not perform as a system," according to the report, released on the first day of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season. "The hurricane protection in New Orleans and Southeast Louisiana was a system in name only."

The 6,000-plus page document included details on engineering and design failures that led to the storm surge overwhelming the city's outer levees and breaking through flood walls within New Orleans.

Katrina was blamed for more than 1,570 deaths.

The report, prepared by the Interagency Performance Evaluation Task Force, laid out the minutiae of the disaster — flood wall designs, storm surge, storm modeling, levee soil types — in greater depth than the task force's preliminary studies.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby TSmith274 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:46 pm

Unbelievably, I think this is the first time that the Corps has openly admitted fault. At least now we have the ultimate kryptonite for those who blame Louisiana for its levee problems.
0 likes   

Pearl River
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Pearl River » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:33 pm

TSmith274 wrote

Unbelievably, I think this is the first time that the Corps has openly admitted fault. At least now we have the ultimate kryptonite for those who blame Louisiana for its levee problems.

As a matter of fact, I believe the news did say this is a first for the corps to admit it was at fault.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby SouthFloridawx » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:26 pm

Ok my brother is in the army and after reading this thread I went back to his room and blamed him. He said, "I was in Iraq and I'm not in the corp. of engineers". but, I told him that it doesn't matter cause he's going to take the blame anyway. No dinner for him tonight, until he fixes all of the problem.

:lol:
0 likes   

mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby mempho » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:23 pm

Duh :cheesy:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”