rat explosion......

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

rat explosion......

#1 Postby Dionne » Mon May 29, 2006 6:45 pm

I wasn't going to say anything....just wait and see if any locals mentioned the problem.

Down in Waveland......we've got a rat problem. We've asked around at a few other job sites and spoken with neighbors. Everybody has a rat problem.

To compound the problem....we noticed last week that there aren't any cats. Never saw the first cat.
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby HurryKane » Mon May 29, 2006 9:02 pm

I saw in the paper that they were consulting professionals about it. They said the dog food that had been put out after the storm for ownerless animals helped support/increase the population.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#3 Postby HurriCat » Mon May 29, 2006 9:24 pm

I don't think that cats are a reliable control unless there is usually a large population of feral cats that know how to hunt. Here in Orlando, a nearby neighborhood is having a big rat problem. I do see cats about, but the news is saying that there is a lot of junk, thick brush and exposed sources of food for the rats. I imagine that conditions are even better for them in post-hurricane areas.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Mon May 29, 2006 9:43 pm

ewwww rats. Make sure if you have pets that they're up to date on their rabies shots.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: rat explosion......

#5 Postby george_r_1961 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:11 pm

Dionne wrote:I wasn't going to say anything....just wait and see if any locals mentioned the problem.

Down in Waveland......we've got a rat problem. We've asked around at a few other job sites and spoken with neighbors. Everybody has a rat problem.

To compound the problem....we noticed last week that there aren't any cats. Never saw the first cat.

Does surprise me. Rats are hardy creatures that can and will eat about anything. Im guessing the cats perished during katrina or in the aftermath :cry:
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Aquawind » Tue May 30, 2006 6:43 am

Yeah it sucks!

We had never seen a rat down here until the recent hurricane activity. Now we have a regular program just to keep them from coming back as do the neighbors. They get displaced like everything else. Saw one in the garage and was on the phone. Ewww and they get BIG! It takes a little out of the "Paradise" concept..
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:55 am

Damn I hate rats! Filthy little monsters :x . The nearest town here (15 miles North) is on the nearby Saint John River, and they get big 'ol river rats, so I can relate. I really feel for you guys :(
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby HollynLA » Tue May 30, 2006 10:38 pm

My neighbors have had rats in their attic. I haven't had any troubles whatsoever with 2 cats in my house. Usually, a rat will not enter a house with a cat as they can smell them. If you're worried about rats coming into your house, get a cat quickly.

OTOH, my choc. lab caught a rat outside the neighbors house, so maybe you all need some labs too? :D
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby timNms » Wed May 31, 2006 9:12 am

I was bushhogging my field over the past 3 days. I was surprised at the number of field mice and rats I saw in the field! They ranged in size from about 3 inches long to some that looked like squirrels! I'm just glad none of them tried to jump on the tractor with me LOL. (I also hope they stay in the woods and field and away from my house!)
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Shoshana » Wed May 31, 2006 4:21 pm

From the size of those rats, it sounds like having a few dogs around the house along with the cats might be a good idea. Pretty much any dog that is prey driven will work - as long as it's bigger than the rat of course. And I second the suggestion that rabies shots be kept up to date for all pets in a household.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby Alladin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:22 pm

If you have a large rat population, you need to exterminate them. The first thing you have to do, is find out where they are nesting. If they have their nest(s) outside of your home, then you can use poison baits to get rid of them. However, if they are in your home (attic, walls, etc.) you must use mechanical traps to catch them.

After all, you don't want dead rats stinking up your attic. The best mechanical trap is the T-Rex snap trap. These will eliminate rodents from your home.

For nests that are outside, you need a good rodenticide such as Bromadiolone or Bromethalin. These are anticoagulants and they are very effective. If a pet or other desirable animal accidentally ingests the poison, vitamin K1 and other coagulant drugs can be administered as an antidote.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby MGC » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:21 pm

Some of those Louisiana boys eat dem big rats. Dey call em nutria in dem parts. Dey got dem big orange front teeth. Dey is ugly yea......MGC
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:03 am

I had a patient make nutria stew once. Tasted good but I just cannot see eating rat. I had to force myself to try it--LOL :roll:
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Roxy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:21 pm

MGC wrote:Some of those Louisiana boys eat dem big rats. Dey call em nutria in dem parts. Dey got dem big orange front teeth. Dey is ugly yea......MGC

Feed 'em to the gators too...where are the gators to take care of the problem?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”