Clarification on I-10?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

Clarification on I-10?

#1 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:26 am

Overwhelmed with news, so I'm not sure where to look for this again.

Didn't I read somewhere that a bridge or something along I-10 in Slidell is out or blocked by debris? So, is everyone (those going to help and those being evacuated here to the Astrodome) having to head up to I-20 or some other route north of I-10? Or is it not impassable anymore?
0 likes   

Recurve
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Recurve » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:32 am

Duck,
From what I can tell, the I-10 / US90 "twin span" bridges that go eastward from New Orleans toward Slidell are what is out. Other parts of I-10 through NOLA are flooded. But I-10 going west from the airport in Kenner to Baton Rouge (and on west to Texas) are OK.

The GNO bridge that connects the CBD to the west bank is OK, and highway 90 on the westbank is OK, so escape to the west is not that bad right now.

North/Eastward is another story. Right now, it sounds like the Causeway between Mandeville and NOLA is OK, but it takes you to the flooded part of the city. The Causeway Blvd. / I-10 connection is where a lot of the refugees have gatherered, from what I've seen.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby blueeyes_austin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:34 am

What I've heard from uncle who works for the LSP is that the US 90 bridge west was not washed out but, as of Tuesday, they weren't sure if it was sound.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby blueeyes_austin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:35 am

Correction...I meant US 90 EAST. Apparently the old bridge survived in some form.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#5 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:41 am

Okay, thanks, guys!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”