Feeling guilty

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Pinetop Arizona. Elevation 7102' (54 miles west of NM border)

Feeling guilty

#1 Postby azsnowman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:56 am

I have NEVER felt so GUILTY about anything in my life. Here I am, some 1000+ from the Gulf Coast, I've made a sizeable donation to the Red Cross and Salvation Army, both organizations helped ME during the Rodeo Chediski Fire over 3 years ago, what a WONDERFUL, LOVING, CARING group of people.

I've got a Search and Rescue Unit, fully trained, cadavor dogs, tracking trailing dogs READY to go at a MOMENTS notice, I've yet to receive a call out.......so, here I sit, all comfy, cozy in my house, sitting on the computer watching TOTAL devestation take place before my eyes, HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people without ANYTHING and there's NOT a THING I can DO!!

Dennis :cry:
0 likes   

HurriCat

#2 Postby HurriCat » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:25 am

Well, first put down that wet-noodle, quit bashing yourself. :x (stop it!)

There is only so much that can be done right now. There are only so many helicopters available and only so many water/amphib transports on site.

Water is everywhere - not practical for the dogs, and also extremely hazardous to their health, given the toxins and general crud it contains.

You HAVE helped in the form of your donations. That is more than a LOT of people will ever do.

When you are needed - and when it's practical - you just might get that call. Don't feel bad about not being right in the middle of this right now. Until the water is reigned in and pumped down, the effectiveness of responders is greatly limited.

The bottom line is that this darn city has been sitting there BELOW SEA-LEVEL for a long time - a disaster waiting to happen. The vast majority of the victims were warned in advance to leave.

I just can't say anything more plain.

You are a good-hearted person - don't let the troubles of this world take that away. :(
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Pinetop Arizona. Elevation 7102' (54 miles west of NM border)

#3 Postby azsnowman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:36 am

Hurricat, great words and yes your right about the toxic conditions of the water etc. but.......I've been SO richly BLESSED, I have EVERYTHING a man could possibly WANT, I want for "NOTHING, I mean NOTHING!" How many people can actually say THAT?!?! And yet, it's NOT enough, I "NEED" to help out physically, I NEED to be there with my dogs, I need to say a prayer with these folks face to face.......THANK you for your kind words (last sentence), I do my best at helping folks, that's one of the BIGGEST reasons why I'm in law enforcement, it's a way of giving back.

As you said, my time will come, it may be in Oct or Nov. but it WILL come!

Dennis
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”