Gov Blanco...what needs to be communicated to Washington

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

Gov Blanco...what needs to be communicated to Washington

#1 Postby Raebie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:59 am

To allow the feds to step in and take control? What isn't she doing that she should be? Why isn't the military onsite?
0 likes   

ericinmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby ericinmia » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:06 am

She has to request from congress or bush that martial law be implemented.

BUT

Then she will have NO CONTROL, The military commander in charge will be the one in charge of that area.
-Eric
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#3 Postby Raebie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:08 am

But I thought martial law had already been declared.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby artist » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:11 am

the way I understand it is they do not have martial law in La. but something similar and the state still has control over what is going on.
0 likes   

ericinmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby ericinmia » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:13 am

artist wrote:the way I understand it is they do not have martial law in La. but something similar and the state still has control over what is going on.

Corecct, they are 'claiming' marital law since they suspended a few rights... but they are FAR from a true martial law.

In true martial law to sum things up in a sentence.

The Military is in full control, until civil courts and order are restored; they do as they want, how they want... only reporting to the congress and the president.
-Eric
0 likes   

RichG
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby RichG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:25 am

Folks, there is no way the President can declare martial law. The left is just waiting for him to do something like that. ACLU Moveon.org so forth would be all over him. I hate to bring politics in on this thing but with a democracy that is how we get things done (or not done), using politics. Furthermore, if he did do so he would be stating that LA is unable to run things themselves. I am surmizing from the fierce postings from this board from the good folks of LA I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. I will not critisize the LA or NO government during this crisis as other's have said it is not helpful right now.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby gtalum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:28 am

RichG wrote:Folks, there is no way the President can declare martial law. The left is just waiting for him to do something like that. ACLU Moveon.org so forth would be all over him.

If the president is more concerned with politics and perception than getting done what needs to get done, then he's evil. her doesn't even need to get re-elected. :grrr:
0 likes   

RichG
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby RichG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:33 am

gtalum

That is exactly the attitude I am talking about. Thank you for your example.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby gtalum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:36 am

WTF are you talking about? Do you think the President should worry about politics and perception at this point?

I have not criticized the president once during this event. He's done all he can until the Governor asks him to declare martial law. But if she does and he withholds simply to keep from being criticized by the ACLU, then he's nothing but an evil wimp.
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby JenBayles » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:39 am

Come on gt - settle down. If Bush is asked by the LA governer, I'm sure he will deliver. Let's not crucify the man for something that hasn't even happened yet.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby gtalum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:41 am

Jen, I'm sure he will too.

I just wonder why some here think it'd be better for him to worry about what the ACLU has to say, rather than doing what's right.
0 likes   

RichG
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby RichG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:46 am

Again, my point was missed. He cannot declare maritial law until he is asked. If the governor of la asks, then I am sure he will do so. I believe the orginal posting asks what we the people can do to get washington to take over. La has to ask first. The "evil wimp" comment again proves my original post. The area has already been declared an area of national signifigance (something to that effect). Which I believe is the same as what would happen if a nuclear weapon had been detonated in a city. So there isn't much more he could do than that.
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#13 Postby Raebie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:48 am

Some of us get it Rich. Thanks for your post.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby gtalum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:04 am

Rich I actually agree with you. I asusme and hope that the President is ready to take over militarily, regardless of the political fallout from such a move. My objection is to the concern for what the ACLU says. Who cares? It's about doing what's right, not making friends or polishing your political image.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”