Heard from poster dhweather

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

Heard from poster dhweather

#1 Postby HurryKane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:29 am

He made it over to D'head and BSL and then back to his evac spot.

He said it is horrific. He checked on our homes. He was very lucky. Others were not. Everything south of I-10 in Diamondhead is completely gone. The D'head Yacht Club is now merely a roof sitting on the pilings that held the building up. 95% plus of trees down.

Hwy 603 is covered in at least six inches of mud. There is zero phone service, land or cell. FEMA is running a tremendous operation out of Stennis Space Center. BSL/Waveland are complete destruction and anything standing is likely uninhabitable.

Last night I lost it when I had to point a friend to the NOAA satellite picture of his house. It is just a slab. There's enough of a shadow on it from the house next to it to make you think it's a rooftop. I argued this with impartial observers for 20 minutes, praying it was still there. They finally convinced me it was not.

So I called him and showed him. And for an hour, he argued that it was a rooftop, too.

But it's not. He later called back and said he thinks he followed the debris field across Highway 90 and thinks whatever is left is over there. I begged him not to try to go back and look. He called several more times, saying he is in denial and he does not know what to do.

And then I messaged another friend that there was a picture available of his house. He has not responded since. It wasn't good, either. He is also a poster here at s2k.

Last night, I cried and cried for my coast, my friends, our lives.

Dhweather is fine and made it back to his wife and child safely.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#2 Postby jasons2k » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:54 am

I'm totally speechless :cry:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”