"Renegade" Bus was the first to get to Houston

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

"Renegade" Bus was the first to get to Houston

#1 Postby crazycajuncane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:37 am

It looks like the first bus that got there was a renegade bus.

Now they are saying it wasn't a bus from the Superdome, but a guy that got off the bus said he was at the Superdome.

Weren't they saying it was a 20 year old driving that bus?

Weird developing story.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby djtil » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:38 am

i believe the word is ingenuity.

nice work. the mayor said to get out, they did.
0 likes   

birdwomn
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby birdwomn » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:41 am

This is very weird...and don't we just need to help people? As long as they behave when they get there...does it really matter how they got out of hell? Wouldn't you do everything you could to find a way to safety?

Honestly, there has to be alot of confusion as to who's doing what.
0 likes   

TexasSam
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby TexasSam » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:43 am

I have been watching that. They let them in. The only problem with that is what do they do about the people that came here (Houston) before the storm, and now are out of cash, and the hotel/motel has put them on the street. should be a few hours till we find out.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby crazycajuncane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:43 am

If this guy is lieing... he's doing a great job lol.

Hell... as long as they are from New Orleans ... does it matter where they came from? If they were in fact a renagade bus... they did a great job in getting there.
0 likes   

THead
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby THead » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:43 am

birdwomn wrote:This is very weird...and don't we just need to help people? As long as they behave when they get there...does it really matter how they got out of hell? Wouldn't you do everything you could to find a way to safety?

Honestly, there has to be alot of confusion as to who's doing what.

Exactly. They could have just stolen the bus and driven anywhere, but they went right to the astrodome and beat all the "non-renegade" buses.

:wink:
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby crazycajuncane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:34 am

Cnn reports 2 renegade buses. Who cares? These people are all going to Houston for the same reason.

CNN making a big deal about it.
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby jopatura » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:42 am

I could understand the twenty year old driving the bus because I know a lot of younger bus drivers, especially if they work(ed) for a college transit system. In addition, when I was going through high school, I had a number of drivers that were under the age of about 25.

The only thing I didn't buy in the guy's interview was the cots part. IIRC, I don't remember seeing anything on the floor of the Superdome because a) it's still grass and b) they were afraid of the lower level flooding eventually. I know people were down there after the fact, but that was the day after Katrina, before the levees started to go. I also remember seeing the pictures with the electricity out and people sitting in the stands.

Most of his story sounded like it could have be inferred from common knowledge. When the reporter from CNN kept asking about his daily life in the Superdome, the guy just moaned and said he needed a place to "sit and relax" or "hot. so so so hot." Then when the reporter asked what happened during the flooding he said "we just went up. we just went up." Again, inferable data.

I believe the story is a fake, only because of the cots part. Someone can correct me on this, I just don't ever remember hearing about them.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby crazycajuncane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:49 am

jopatura wrote:I could understand the twenty year old driving the bus because I know a lot of younger bus drivers, especially if they work(ed) for a college transit system. In addition, when I was going through high school, I had a number of drivers that were under the age of about 25.

The only thing I didn't buy in the guy's interview was the cots part. IIRC, I don't remember seeing anything on the floor of the Superdome because a) it's still grass and b) they were afraid of the lower level flooding eventually. I know people were down there after the fact, but that was the day after Katrina, before the levees started to go. I also remember seeing the pictures with the electricity out and people sitting in the stands.

Most of his story sounded like it could have be inferred from common knowledge. When the reporter from CNN kept asking about his daily life in the Superdome, the guy just moaned and said he needed a place to "sit and relax" or "hot. so so so hot." Then when the reporter asked what happened during the flooding he said "we just went up. we just went up." Again, inferable data.

I believe the story is a fake, only because of the cots part. Someone can correct me on this, I just don't ever remember hearing about them.

Yeah and there was another part where someone corrected him about something. Was that the cots part? His answers were very vague.
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby jopatura » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:50 am

It was the hot part. He was talking about how it was hot because of all the bodies and the woman next to him said "there was no ac."
0 likes   

Josephine96

#11 Postby Josephine96 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:21 am

I would have to say.. If a 20 yr old kid.. stole a bus.. got evacuees on it.. and then drove it to Houston.. That'd be cool but also kinda funny :wink:

I guess he wanted a trip to Texas too :wink:
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#12 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:06 am

crazycajuncane wrote:Cnn reports 2 renegade buses. Who cares? These people are all going to Houston for the same reason.

CNN making a big deal about it.

Houston's making a big deal about it also...and rightfully so. They've made arrangements and a public promise to open the Astrodome up to the evacuess from the Superdome. How can they accommodate them now if renegade buses and people from hotels who have been here (high and dry) since before landfall start coming in?
Last edited by GalvestonDuck on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Cape Fear Cane Watcher
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13 Postby Cape Fear Cane Watcher » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:20 am

They are now reporting that the two buses came from Orleans Parrish. Apparently, the Parrish officers heard what was going on and had people that needed to get out, so they sent them to the Astrodome.
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby JenBayles » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:13 am

It started getting ugly in Houston yesterday around rush hour. People who got to Houston before the storm hit heard the Dome was opening, checked out of their motels, and showed up demanding to be let in for the free accommodations. They even loudly and angrily threatened to use their cars to block the Super Dome buses from getting into the complex. Can't say that I blame them.

Trying to mobilize such an effort to set up a 25,000 person shelter is tremendously huge! At the time people were angrily demanding entrance, officials were still in the process of arranging for food, water and cots to be delivered.

I realize people are tired, hot, hungry, thirsty, and scared. We've been inundated here in Houston and are doing are best to help. A little patience on everyone's part will go a long way.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#15 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:38 am

Just saw on ABC 13 (Houston) during the GMA break -- Christine Dobbyn reported that they were getting word there at the Superdome that evacs are still being held up because shots were fired at the copters trying to airlift people from the Dome to the busses.

Anyone else hear that from other sources?
0 likes   

therealashe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby therealashe » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:43 am

Everytime you think it can't get any worse... it does.

I hope they can establish some sort of control there soon.
0 likes   

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby Downdraft » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:24 am

It's NOT a 'renegade" bus it's a REFUGEE bus.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#18 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:32 am

GalvestonDuck wrote:Just saw on ABC 13 (Houston) during the GMA break -- Christine Dobbyn reported that they were getting word there at the Superdome that evacs are still being held up because shots were fired at the copters trying to airlift people from the Dome to the busses.

Anyone else hear that from other sources?

Yes I have heard and read it at different places. That is pretty much the last straw that made Nagin declare "martial law".
0 likes   

Stormtrack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#19 Postby Stormtrack » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:47 am

crazycajuncane wrote:If this guy is lieing... he's doing a great job lol.

Hell... as long as they are from New Orleans ... does it matter where they came from? If they were in fact a renagade bus... they did a great job in getting there.

Yes, it definitely does make a difference. For one thing they already promised to take the Superdome people there and that's about the maximum number they can take care of. Also, they don't won't to mix the Superdome people with other refugees because of the disease issue and possibility of quarantine.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”