The place where Jim Cantore stayed?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

The place where Jim Cantore stayed?

#1 Postby JQ Public » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:41 pm

Did it make it out ok? Alot of damage?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:52 pm

I think there was water damage on the lower level(it was some type of coliseum for veterans), but I think the structure survived.
0 likes   
#neversummer

birdwomn
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby birdwomn » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:57 am

They evacuated everyone to the Veterans Home in the Washington, DC area. They don't know yet if it is repairable, last I heard.
0 likes   

iceangel
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby iceangel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:39 am

Brent wrote:I think there was water damage on the lower level(it was some type of coliseum for veterans), but I think the structure survived.
I thought it was the "Mississippi Coast Colisium"
Speaking of Jim Cantore..has anyone seen him on the Weather Channel since the storm hit? I don't recall seeing him but then again I don't watch the weather channel that often, Only if we get threatened by a tropical force of nature. I try to catch the tropical update to see what is out in the tropics.
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:33 am

They evacuated everyone to the Veterans Home in the Washington, DC area. They don't know yet if it is repairable, last I heard.

I'll verify that report. My friends dad lives there, and she heard from her family that this was the case. The first floor was flooded, but the structure is intact.
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby jes » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:46 am

A friend of mine met Jim Cantore yesterday in Gulfport/Biloxi --- he's fine. I remember his report about moving to the Veterans home prior to the storm. It was built to withstand very strong storms -- even the windows --- It sure was lucky he was there.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Terry » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:07 am

Jim was live on TWC late last nite. He and crew took shelter in that veteran's helped move the people to the second floor as the water was coming in the building.

Stephaine Abrams was there to pick him up since his truck/car was lost in the surge.

I'm not sure, but I believe that Jim could have gotten out of there but stayed to help move the veterans upstairs to safety.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”