National Chains should allow their stores to be looted...

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

simplyme
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1 Postby simplyme » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:51 pm

Let's get above the name-calling please.

I disagree that anyone should openly allow looting. I think it leads to "territories" being formed by gangs, people guarding one store only to let those they care for in. Not to mention, those that are looting now, are taking things like televisions... for what? There's no power, virtually no housing left to even STORE the television in. It's truly mind boggling.

On the flip side... for those that need things for survival... they have no choice other then to just take what they need if they are out of supplies. There is no cashier there to take their money, nobody to pay for the supplies.
0 likes   

arcticfire
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby arcticfire » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:53 pm

Just think how much it would help the clean up efforts ! Thousands of people driving to the disaster site to pillage what they can from the big stores. Why it could become a second business, we'll call it Land Salvage.

I'm of course being totally sarcastic since the original idea is beyond stupid.
0 likes   

Lutrastorm
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby Lutrastorm » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:53 pm

Kevin, that's a great concept, but the reality of it would be a few thugs would appropriate most of the goods and then attempt to sell or barter (at out rageous costs) for personal profit. Extreme situations reveal true character and sometimes it's not pretty
0 likes   

canegrl04
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby canegrl04 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:53 pm

Most of those doing th looting are undoubtedly gang members. They are also stealing big screen tv sets,jewlry,and guns .
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby PurdueWx80 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:56 pm

canegrl04 wrote:Most of those doing th looting are undoubtedly gang members. They are also stealing big screen tv sets,jewlry,and guns .

Rrrrright - that's about the most racist thing I've heard all day. I generally agree with Kevin's idea - these multibillion dollar corporations have very little to lose here compared to the scores of poor who were stranded in the city. I'm not commending anyone for stealing luxury items (that these people could likely never afford), but desperate times sometimes lead to desperate measures.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby LSU2001 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:56 pm

Kevin is voicing what many people are thinking. I will assure you that I am a republican, law abiding, church going, god fearing, man but I would loot a store in an instant if it were for my families or my own survival. I know that alot of the looting in NOLA is not for survival and I have no problem with shooting them on sight but If looting is necessary to survive then I don't have a problem with it. THe problem is once it starts greed takes over and there is no stopping simply with survival.
Tim
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

THead
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby THead » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:01 pm

I did hear a report on CNN saying that the local officials in NO were in fact commandeering supplies, food etc at supermarkets, drug stores in the area, and trying to hand them out in a somewhat orderly fashion.
0 likes   

canegrl04
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby canegrl04 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:02 pm

I'm sorry,but it is OUTRAGEOUS to me that anyone would encourage stealing
0 likes   

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Jevo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:14 pm

canegrl04 wrote:I'm sorry,but it is OUTRAGEOUS to me that anyone would encourage stealing

Thats easy to say from your air condioned home, fridge full of food and water, the ability to use a restroom., and your conection to the internet.

Youre telling me you would not do what it takes to survive, feed and clothe your child... I dont agree with the hoodlums looting jewerly and TVs... etc

Id be right there with them with a basket full of food and water

JMHO
0 likes   
Disclaimer: 50% of the time I have no clue of what I am talking about. Chances are I am taking a less than educated guess that sounds good because 10 years ago I stole Mike Watkins book 'The Hurricane and its Impact'. For official information please direct yourself to the NHC and their cadre of weather geniuses.

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby PurdueWx80 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:15 pm

Jevo wrote:
canegrl04 wrote:I'm sorry,but it is OUTRAGEOUS to me that anyone would encourage stealing

Thats easy to say from your air condioned home, fridge full of food and water, the ability to use a restroom., and your conection to the internet.

Youre telling me you would not do what it takes to survive, feed and clothe your child... I dont agree with the hoodlums looting jewerly and TVs... etc

Id be right there with them with a basket full of food and water

JMHO

Yeah, I'm tryin to put myself in their shoes - kind of hard to do, but I can only imagine.
0 likes   

schmita
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby schmita » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:21 pm

PurdueWx80 wrote:
canegrl04 wrote:Most of those doing th looting are undoubtedly gang members. They are also stealing big screen tv sets,jewlry,and guns .

Rrrrright - that's about the most racist thing I've heard all day. I generally agree with Kevin's idea - these multibillion dollar corporations have very little to lose here compared to the scores of poor who were stranded in the city. I'm not commending anyone for stealing luxury items (that these people could likely never afford), but desperate times sometimes lead to desperate measures.

What are you Mr. Met talking about and how was that statement racist?

I think you have too many clouds in your head. Looting leads to other issues one of which is what is happening in NO today. Anarchy. Total disregard for law and order etc. Would someone care to post the definition of anarchy?

Carjacking at gunpoint, storming hospitals, stealing drugs from pharmacys, etc. Anyone want to refute this? Shooting cops?

Sorry Met but I now live in a place where everyone is black and everyone is white. Both races mix up here and when you go to someones house ther are no cultural bs things to deal with. Much better than the US where every little thing is something. Sometimes nothing is nothing. Get it?
I have not seen huge groups of people other than the ones I have seen on TV looting. Can you break this down for me.
Thanks
irina
0 likes   

kevin

#12 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 pm

5,000 years of history sides with realism. Ideologies are ivory tower luxuries. Without power exerted to control, power will revert to the mob, and they will not work along the lines of law and legitimacy, but act red in tooth and claw.

Machiavelli isn't a bad word. Clemency in the face of societal breakdown is. Weakness cannot be shown to those who would take advantage of the situation.
0 likes   

Liberty30
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13 Postby Liberty30 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:31 pm

According to the reports I've heard the bulk of the looting is not "lifes necessities" but rather clothes, jewelery, guns, etc.

The CNN reporter I heard earlier today (I forget her name) said that the number of people looting clothing outnumbered those looting food, etc by a large margin.

I'm sorry, but the vast majority of people are not looting out of necessity or fear of survival. Take a look at some of them, they look like they won a shopping spree, arms full of coats, Nikes, etc.
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#14 Postby PurdueWx80 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:31 pm

schmita wrote:What are you Mr. Met talking about and how was that statement racist?

I think you have too many clouds in your head. Looting leads to other issues one of which is what is happening in NO today. Anarchy. Total disregard for law and order etc. Would someone care to post the definition of anarchy?

Carjacking at gunpoint, storming hospitals, stealing drugs from pharmacys, etc. Anyone want to refute this? Shooting cops?

Sorry Met but I now live in a place where everyone is black and everyone is white. Both races mix up here and when you go to someones house ther are no cultural bs things to deal with. Much better than the US where every little thing is something. Sometimes nothing is nothing. Get it?
I have not seen huge groups of people other than the ones I have seen on TV looting. Can you break this down for me.
Thanks
irina

I'm sorry for assuming it was a racist comment.

I'm not really sure what you're asking so I won't go there. The only reason I even said that is because I've seen so many people jumping to the conclusion that these black folks we see looting on tv are all gang members. I should not have assumed that here and I'm so for doing such.

On the other hand, I think it's totally premature and naive to think that anyone looting is a gang member. Most of the people who stayed and are now stuck have clearly lived very poor lives and now when this catastrophe hits everyone is without food and water and whatever else. I would think that would put everyone on edge (at least I know I'd go nuts), making them more likely to do illegal and idiotic things. Also, many of these reports of looting in hospitals and drug stores have been shown to be rumors and lies. I'm not doubting that there are bad people who are stealing drugs (for uses other than to help sick loved ones) and other items, but I personally can't blame anyone for anything they are doing down there right now. I also can't say that I wouldn't do the same if I were them.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#15 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:37 pm

My $.02

I think the looting is wrong and I want to throw the remote at my TV every time I see it. It's disgusting. I'm very worried it will escalate into riots, which always lead to fire, which would destoy what's left.

So, 2 things are about to happen:
1) The people that quit looting and evacuate can't take any of it with them and
2) The people that keep looting and fail to evacuate are sealing their own fate, and will soon be answering to their maker.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby LSU2001 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:39 pm

I think because it is a new forum we can't edit and do all of the things we could in the other forums.
Tim
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#17 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:40 pm

Everybody chill.

Dang, y'all type faster than a duck slide-landing on a frozen lake!
0 likes   

kevin

#18 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:41 pm

People who attack in armed groups are gangs. There's nothing racist in the statement, and people who are concerned about political correctness should understand that it is a luxury based on rule of law and social norms, two things completely absent in New Orleans.

They are in a state of nature. It follows that men will band together and arm themselves if they do not see authority. In order to secure property people create their own governments, their own enforcements, their own laws. This is mass hysteria and should be stopped. We do not know how many people have died in the looting, but I assure you men have killed one another because they have guns, motive, and no authority holding them back.

I hate to be so horribly to the point. Where there are social norms the law and law enforcement suffice. Where there is no authority, it needs to be asserted by a demonstration of force.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#19 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:42 pm

Oh, see now you've done it, Kevin. Attacking the Texans? *shakes head*

What's next -- ducks?

Relax...walk away...re-read later, k? :D
0 likes   

kevin

#20 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:43 pm

This Kevin doesn't mess with Texas!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”