Hurricane Rita pictures

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

hurrican19
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#41 Postby hurrican19 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:35 pm

that map is most definitely laughable. The damage done to the power grid here in Southeast Texas would not have occurred by minimum hurricane forced winds, nor would the damage be that severe that far north.. While Entergy was out repairing the downed power lines, I spoke to one crew... While we were talking, one of the crew members told me that he has worked Ivan, Charley, Katrina, several others, and now Rita, and that in the numerous storms that he has helped repair the electrical grid, has NEVER EVER seen the extensive damage done to their equipment. You're trying to tell us that 75-80MPH winds bent this sign over, blew over these high voltage lines, and blew a canapy across the service road of Interstate 10?? 75mph winds did this?

Those towers in the second picture were rated for 150MPH winds, according to the Entergy folks i've spoken to.

You're in Spring, you have no idea what really happened here in the Golden Triangle, and you haven't seen the actual neighborhoods that have sustained the most severe damage. Just passing by on the freeway doesn't do jack squat, and if you did get off the path, you still didn't explore the entire area. Were you able to get into the cities immediately after the storm on Sunday? I bet if you tried, you were denied... Those of us who are from this area know backroads, and didn't have any issues getting back into town, and seeing the total devastation.. I'm sick of your trying to prove everyone that Rita was a nothing storm to SETX and SWLA.. You've lost your credibility several posts ago in my opinion.. Do I think that this was our big storm? Nope!, was it Cameron's big storm? You bet! I admit that we didn't get cat 3 SUSTAINED winds, but a cat 1 would NOT do the damage we had here..

::Stepping off soapbox::
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:15 am

hurrican19 wrote:that map is most definitely laughable. The damage done to the power grid here in Southeast Texas would not have occurred by minimum hurricane forced winds, nor would the damage be that severe that far north.. While Entergy was out repairing the downed power lines, I spoke to one crew... While we were talking, one of the crew members told me that he has worked Ivan, Charley, Katrina, several others, and now Rita, and that in the numerous storms that he has helped repair the electrical grid, has NEVER EVER seen the extensive damage done to their equipment. You're trying to tell us that 75-80MPH winds bent this sign over, blew over these high voltage lines, and blew a canapy across the service road of Interstate 10?? 75mph winds did this?

Those towers in the second picture were rated for 150MPH winds, according to the Entergy folks i've spoken to.

You're in Spring, you have no idea what really happened here in the Golden Triangle, and you haven't seen the actual neighborhoods that have sustained the most severe damage. Just passing by on the freeway doesn't do jack squat, and if you did get off the path, you still didn't explore the entire area. Were you able to get into the cities immediately after the storm on Sunday? I bet if you tried, you were denied... Those of us who are from this area know backroads, and didn't have any issues getting back into town, and seeing the total devastation.. I'm sick of your trying to prove everyone that Rita was a nothing storm to SETX and SWLA.. You've lost your credibility several posts ago in my opinion.. Do I think that this was our big storm? Nope!, was it Cameron's big storm? You bet! I admit that we didn't get cat 3 SUSTAINED winds, but a cat 1 would NOT do the damage we had here..

::Stepping off soapbox::

I think that you guys saw Cat. 1 sustained, but Rita was a very gusty storm, so gusts to Cat. 3 force probably occured (it is the gusts that do most of the damage). For example, lake livingston only saw 58mph or so sustained winds, but had a gust to 117mph. I have already aknowledged that this was a bad storm, but decided to post that wind swath map because I found it interesting.

BTW, if you want to compare pics...here are a few you can look at:

^^^Cat. 1 force damage in Miami after Wilma^^^

^^^Cat. 1 force damage in Orlando after Charley^^^

^^^More Cat. 1 force damage in Orlando after Charley^^^

^^^Cat. 1/2 force damage from Ivan^^^

^^^TS force damage (gusts to hurricane force) in Orlando after Jeanne^^^

^^^Weak Cat. 2 force damage in St. Lucie Co., Fl after Frances^^^

ALSO: In your pictures...why is there no damage to the building behind the bent sign, and how come the sign right next to it seems fine? The towers in the second picture are in a large open waterway area. Of course the winds are stronger there, and gusts may have indeed been in the 120-140 range...also you never know; there could have been a tornado or microburst that affected them, because if you look in the far background of that picture you can see that towers are still standing back there. And finally, the damage in the 3rd picture could have been done by winds as little as 50-60mph. If those type of winds hit the onning in just the right angle, they would be able to lift it and move it across the street. Also, why are power poles still standing around that gas station? And why are all the street lights intact? And why does the shell sign across the street seem to have suffered such little damage (as well as the other gas station onnings)? Just a few things to think about..
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Hurricane Rita pictures

#43 Postby southerngale » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:13 am

From the original post...
southerngale wrote:Pine Forest Baptist Church in Vidor

A church community in Pine Forest is celebrating the reopening of their worship center. It's been closed for more than nine months because of hurricane damage.

Church members held a sanctuary re-dedication service this morning and followed it with the homecoming gospel music ceremony this afternoon. All three buildings of the complex were damaged during Hurricane Rita.

After a million dollars worth of reconstruction, church members are now enjoying a completely renovated sanctuary and a new steeple outside.

The church has been open since the 1930s and is planning its 75th anniversary in Pine Forest. anniversary in Pine Forest.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”