NAGIN DECLARES MARTIAL LAW, ALL CIVIL RIGHTS SUSPENDED

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#21 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:20 am

sunny wrote:From what we understand, the Marines are supposed to be moving in I THINK today. I'll tell you, I do not feel safe going to get my clothes. I just cannot believe this is happening.

I can confirm that is a probability. My Godson's brother is a marine in CA and they are under alert to move to LA/MS at a moments notice.
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby soonertwister » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:24 am

Thanks for the link, drudd.

Here are also two more links, involving the Posse Comitatus Act, which help provide more background as to what's involved in getting the military deployed as the law enforcement authorities when a state of emergency exists.

http://www.homelandsecurity.org/journal ... ilcock.htm

http://law.wustl.edu/WULQ/75-2/752-10.html#fn10
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby soonertwister » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:38 am

I just want to comment that just because of what happened at the Superdome, don't think that those conditions will occur in Houston, or anything like them.

New Orleans has been under the most extreme emergency conditions I've ever seen in my lifetime, and I'm in my mid-fifties. Houston is a city with a fully-functioning infrastructure and vast resources to help.

The conditions at the Astrodome will be strictly monitored at ALL TIMES, and at no time will there be an inadequate police presence.

Additionally, I'm pretty certain that single adult males will be segregated from the family areas, and that people will not be allowed to congregate in masses. Things like failed toilet facilites will not be allowed to exist. (How could they have prevented that in New Orleans?) Food and water will be available at all time, clean clothing, bedding, etc.

Conditions in a disaster zone simply won't happen elsewhere.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”