A few who still care ... for your reading pleasure! =)

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

stormie_skies
Category 5
Category 5

A few who still care ... for your reading pleasure! =)

#1 Postby stormie_skies » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:58 pm

I have no idea how many of you spend time surfing around the blogosphere ... I have quite a few regular spots, political creature that I am (as the management here will testify :wink: ) There are a couple of spots I've found that are off the well-beaten track but which do a good job, IMO, of keeping up with the NOLA crisis, even now when most major media outlets seem to have abandoned it. I will warn everyone ahead of time that the sites these blogs are linked to are often political - but management, if you skim the posts you'll realize that these particular sites are devoted to the aftermath of Katrina and the bursting of the levees. So please give me some leeway here.... I don't wanna debate, I just want to share, I swear. 8-)

http://afterthelevees.tpmcafe.com/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harry-shearer/

http://wetbankguide.blogspot.com/

One post on the first blog in particular got to me... I'd like a few of you to read it and tell me what you think:

http://afterthelevees.tpmcafe.com/blog/afterthelevees/2006/jul/18/there_is_no_neighborhood

It says just what I've been thinking about one of the things that bothers me most about all this - the indifference in the rest of the country, and what that says about us as a whole.

Depressing, but true, I think. JMHO.

If anyone else here knows of any other not-so-well-known sources or blogs that keep up with this sort of thing, it would be great if you would post the links here. I'd love to add them to my favorites column. :D
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby TSmith274 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:49 am

Thanks for posting these. One inescapable fact is this... a levee system that is the direct responsibility of the federal government failed under forces well below its design specs. Therefore, there is liability... and it lies at the foot of the federal government.
I love my country as much as the next guy, but only when we admit its faults and work to correct them, will we truly live up to our potential.
0 likes   

windycity
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby windycity » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:03 am

Just my two cents worth that consist of simple facts and common sence. N.O is a city that has been a accident waiting to happen for years. It sits on or below sea level. Sure there were screw ups on ALL levels of goverment, but lets remember the above. :roll:
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:29 am

has been a accident waiting to happen for years.

This "accident" needn't have happened at all--had the levees been properly built and maintained. I'm not talking about all the screwups that took place immediately post-Katrina--but the screwups that shouldn't and needn't have happened at all--which very well could have saved over 1500 of those lost. Let's face it... the areas around Yellowstone are accidents waiting to happen, as are those around San Francisco, and Los Angeles...Charleston, St. Louis, New York City... the list is pretty extensive.

A2K
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby bvigal » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 am

As someone who is far away, I haven't forgotten about the impact of Katrina on so many lives.

Nor have I forgotten the impact of other hurricanes which might not have garnered as much press attention as Katrina because the devastation wasn't so broad or severe. Nor have I forgotten the impact of tornadoes, floods, wildfires, etc. which also destroy towns and homes and lives. It's typical for the press to lose interest, and for people to find new interests on a day-to-day basis.

We should all ask ourselves, when we see on the news where a tornado wiped out a whole town, leveling all the buildings, how many days afterward do we think about that town and those people? It's human nature to move on. I think most folks are the same, it's not that they don't care, or don't realize how long it takes to put one's life back together. Just my 2 cents.
0 likes   

all_we_know_is_FALLING
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby all_we_know_is_FALLING » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:37 pm

Well written, bivgal.

It is human nature to move on, and forget. It's sad, but true.

Just like a few months ago, on April 2, when NE Arkansas, the boothell of MO, and NW TN were devastated by several long-lived tornadoes, it was big news for a few days, in the Mid South but has since faded from memory. A lot of people cared but in this day and age with disasters happening so often even horrible tragedies can become "old news".. I mean what about the 2004 Asian Tsunami? One of the greatest tragedies of all time and it's not talked about as much as it should be...
0 likes   

mtm4319
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby mtm4319 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:02 pm

0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”