Man, it doesn't seem like a year has passed

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby timNms » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:27 am

MSRobi911 wrote:A2K

In my opinion the only thing that kept our death toll down was that it happened in the day light and people could see things to hold on to or grab and float on. Also from the stories I have heard a bunch of "heroes" are out there that got in their boats in the middle of the storm and went up and down the roads and pulled people into their boats and took them to safety. From where my house was I can not imagine how much water was there and how anyone could have survived had they been down there during the storm. There is still a family of Hispanic people that have not been identified that were found about two blocks down from my house in/under the debris of a home that was not theirs. They have no idea who they are or where they came from. The phone calls that I heard on 911 while we still had power and before my husband evacuated the dispatchers because the water was up to their knees and they were around all kinds of electrical equipment still answering the telephones were just heart breaking. Whole families including 5 month old babies were on roofs and the Sheriffs Office couldn't get to them even with a "duck" I can't remember the real name of the vehicle at this time(this thanks to Trent Lott's assignment of old government equipment to the county).

I don't think anyone that went through Katrina will ever forget the nightmare and I pray that we have all learned a lesson, cause even though Camille was no lady.......Katrina was a witch with a capital B! We thought we had seen it all with Camille and I hope we don't compare the next "big one" to Katrina because if we get a closer hit or direct hit the buildings and such that were there that broke some of the water are now gone and will never return in their former state.

Don't get me wrong, people will rebuild, it just won't be the same and everything will be "up" so the water will flow underneath (well most of it anyway...my neighbor was 10 feet up and it didn't do him any good).

The strong will survive if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise again! :) :) :) We want to rebuild, but it will be several years down the road before that can happen with the shortage of available contractors and the still unknowns of city requirements.

Mary

Mary,

You are right. There were local heroes and we will probably never know their names. Some of those local heroes were in Waveland. They saved the life of my daughter's ex fiance and his family at the hotel at 603 and 90.
The last time my daughter was in contact with them was around 10 am on the 29th. He was begging her to tell him when the eye would pass over them. At that time, the water was bout 8 feet from their 1st floor room. We later learned that the water had begun to come into their room and they'd put his grandmother on the dresser to keep her out of the water, but it kept rising. He said had some guys not come by in boats and lifted them to the 2nd floor, they'd have died! He said by the time the boats arrived, they were up to their knecks in the water.. Before all was said and done, the water was lapping onto the 2nd floor balcony.

On the CD that WLOX made, there are some 911 calls on there. People were calling in begging for help. One caller said "I know you can't come help. I just wanted to let you know that we're going to die". It's heart wrenching! Thank God that she came in during the day, unlike Camille. I hope we've all learned a lesson from Katrina. We should never compare two storms. Each one is it's own animal and has it's own characteristics. When the NHC issues warnings, whether it be for a cat 1 or a cat 5, heed the evac orders and get to higher ground (Minnesota comes to mind :) )
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby MSRobi911 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:54 am

While we were talking to our attorney today in order to you know what against our insurance company he was telling us that the guys in the boat that was rescuing people had just flew in from New York on Sunday am and didn't have a clue that a storm was coming (New York doesn' t cover a lot of stuff as much as we do). They were down about a block off the beach and were talking to his (our attorneys) friend on the phone and telling them what was happening and how high the water was and they finally dove down and out of a window to get out of the house and were trying to swim to safety. They found this 26 foot Boston Whaler floating so they climbed in and started heading for higher ground, on the way they picked up other people and then began a ferry service. They left the boat at the local Fire Department and to this day it remains there and no one has claimed it.....so strange! But many many thanks to those two guys because I know they saved the lives of 3 of my friends by picking them up and taking them to higher ground. All three of these people were disabled and could not swim that far. When they heard a boat coming, they managed to get out of their homes and those guys took care of them!

Just thought I would let ya'll know that the people doing the rescuing had actually been rescuing themselves :)

God works in mysterious ways doesn't he.....where did the boat come from? Who knows!

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”